Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Nate

Doom Eternal coming to Google's Stadia platform

A gameplay stream will start around thirty minutes from now.

EDIT: Yeah, sorry about the gameplay stream thing, I can't find a link either. It may be a private stream for the devs only.

Edited by Sgt Nate V

Is Stadia the only way I can play Doom Eternal on my PC?  I have no interest in steaming since my internet sucks and comcast sucks even harder.

5 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Is Stadia the only way I can play Doom Eternal on my PC?  I have no interest in steaming since my internet sucks and comcast sucks even harder.

I hope not, That's heresy. I don't want to bring out my pitchfork.

I am ambivalent towards streaming, especially if it becomes the only way to play games on the PC in the future. On one hand I won't have to upgrade my PC anymore. On the other hand, who knows what shady shit they could pull with it. Also, modding is history if it replaces rendering the game on your PC.

4 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I hope not, That's heresy. I don't want to bring out my pitchfork.

I am ambivalent towards streaming, especially if it becomes the only way to play games on the PC in the future. On one hand I won't have to upgrade my PC anymore. On the other hand, who knows what shady shit they could pull with it. Also, modding is history if it replaces rendering the game on your PC.

Is a lot of quality lost because it is streamed?

I see advantages, but not sure if the out weighs the downsides. 

1 minute ago, Zemini said:

Is a lot of quality also lost because it is streamed?

I see advantages, but not sure if the out weight the downsides. 

I tried Sony's PS Now a while back and I didn't notice any loss of quality. The service itself will probably be good but I don't trust big companies like Google to not fuck it up. It would also mean that we have to rely on companies to patch games if they mess up, even simple stuff that can be fixed in an .INI. 

I predict there will be a split in the future. AAA companies will opt for stream-only (which effectively eliminates piracy) while smaller companies will make ways the traditional ways. In fact the moddability might even be the point of some games from smaller companies.

I hope this is not the case, I want to be able to mod future Elder Scrolls and Doom titles.

12 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Is Stadia the only way I can play Doom Eternal on my PC?

I'm 100% positive that won't be the case. That said, the only other option at the moment is looking to be the Bethesda Launcher.

Unfortunately, it seems like any new footage will be for the attendees only. 

I’ve been looking up and down for any available livestream, and there doesn’t seem to be any. 

Plus, it’s been rumored to be shown and even playable as a demo at GDC, but there hasn’t been any gameplay leaks as of now, implicating that everyone there had to sign NDAs to not show the game just yet.

I miss the good old times when a German PC magazine used hidden video cameras to capture early game footage :-(

streaming game services can bite it. Early tests of stadia are indicating 150-200ms ping times for input, which is completely unacceptable. maybe they'll make it faster, but I don't hold my breath, especially considering the amount of bandwidth that would need to be thrown around.

i might be able to survive the beth launcher if I have to, but streaming game services are an absolute no for me. I'm already paranoid enough about services like Netflix as is, given that it's a service where things routinely disappear due to licensing shit, I can't imagine streaming gaming being even better. This sort of thing is already a problem for gaming, but at least stores occasionally let you keep stuff that's removed from the storefront... (until it's patched like the licensed music in gta)

17 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/doom-eternal-gameplay-running-on-google-stadia/2300-6448826/

Holy shit, they actually grabbed some footage from the event. 

Prowler confirmed.

Shield guys return ;-(,

And some cyborg zombie thingy.  I can't make out the codex entry

Zombies we have seen are called "Zombie Earth"

Flying Imp creatures are called "Gargoyles"

In addition:

-Micro missile mod for the assault rifle and the remote detonation for the RL make a return

-The icon for the shotgun's explosive shot is the same as the remote detonation. We already know the "grenades" stick to enemies, perhaps now they can be activated manually?

-That new cyborg enemy's lower body is completely replaced by a robotic apparatus with four legs. It appears to shoot sonic blasts and lightning

-This planet is most definitely mars given the way the terrain looks

-The dashing and wall-climbing abilities are used in some rather clever platforming puzzles

-There are more environmental hazards, such as lasers and some sort object that electrifies the ground in a radius

-Yellow "orbs" can be picked up which refuel the dash gauge

-There's some grunting going on in the footage. Is that Doomguy?

Edited by chemo

44 minutes ago, chemo said:

-Micro missile mod for the assault rifle and the remote detonation for the RL make a return

-The icon for the shotgun's explosive shot is the same as the remote detonation. We already know the "grenades" stick to enemies, perhaps now they can be activated manually?

-That new cyborg enemy's lower body is completely replaced by a robotic apparatus with four legs. It appears to shoot sonic blasts and lightning

-This planet is most definitely mars given the way the terrain looks

-The dashing and wall-climbing abilities are used in some rather clever platforming puzzles

-There are more environmental hazards, such as lasers and some sort object that electrifys the ground in a radius

-Yellow "orbs" can be picked up which refuel the dash gauge

-There's some grunting going on in the footage. Is that Doomguy?

Yeah, that double-barreled micro-missile addition is fucking bangin'. I love how they're utilizing the new mobile abilities to give the player new obstacles and such. I could easily see this opening up all new avenues of gameplay.

Also:

- Cacodemons seem capable of very rapid spitting now.

- The quadruped cyborg enemy is shades of Quake 2/4. Not a bad thing, imo, as long as they don't go too much in that direction.

- Gameplay environment is VERY reminiscent of certain Doom 2016 deathmatch maps, what with the huge chasms and jumping from platform to platform action.

Overall, very promising and innovative stuff we're seeing. I see a risk of it becoming a bit too 'Unreal Tournament', but I remember thinking that about the last game, so maybe I'm just being paranoid here.

Jumping, boosting, and platforming over those huge (insta-death?) pits seems like it'll be a major pain in the ass. I know the last game did it in a few instances and I think those were some of the more frustrating parts. It seems like it'll break up the action a little too much. But what do I know? I'll reserve any proper judgments until I get to play it myself.

2 hours ago, PureSlime said:

Jumping, boosting, and platforming over those huge (insta-death?) pits seems like it'll be a major pain in the ass. I know the last game did it in a few instances and I think those were some of the more frustrating parts. It seems like it'll break up the action a little too much. But what do I know? I'll reserve any proper judgments until I get to play it myself.

The last game pulled it off quite gracefully imo. By all acounts, the Argent Tower level should have been frustrating and infuriating but it was surprisingly not. I actually really liked it. I think the platforming sections are in good hands.

Plus, the environment has always been dangerous in Doom. E2M7 comes to mind. This is just an evolution of that.