Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allstin

My thoughts on the new Eternal Stadia footage!

Looks incredible, just as the QuakeCon gameplay did. This game never ceases to amaze me and isn't even out yet.

Looks fun.  Is that the old Argent Facility?  Man, they're sending Slayer damn near everywhere in this game.

55 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Looks incredible, just as the QuakeCon gameplay did. This game never ceases to amaze me and isn't even out yet.

New enemies and codex entries that give their names... the actually somewhat controversial oldschool feeling Doomguy grunt... curious for June 9!

also the game will come out when Stadia does apparently? Or around. As it’s a Stadia title.

32 minutes ago, silentzorah said:

Looks fun.  Is that the old Argent Facility?  Man, they're sending Slayer damn near everywhere in this game.

Someone said the UAC base with the BFG10K maybe?

The codex entry at the beginning does say something about Earth, or a zombie is “Zombie earth” ? Not sure. Technically they aren’t zombies I thought, either.

Combat rating is there vs. “demonic corruption” and it’s maybe maxed out here? Lots to see in such a short clip!

Here's the raw cam footage.

I foresee Doomslayer now having vocal chords being a commonly mentioned point of discussion.

The platforming with the double jumps, dashes, and spinning stuff reminds me of Deadcore. They definitely have the elements for some puzzle-platforming, I'm interested to see what they decide to do with that.

The background at 0:49 looks like mars with a Big Fucking BFG Hole in it.

My take on everything now is that the Earth Level we saw at quakecon is later in the game. Ostensibly it reminded me of later DOOM16 levels, specifically The Necropolis.

In the Hell on Earth stage you pick up the rocket launcher, which i assume is a later tier weapon- again reenforcing the idea that the stage is on the back end of the campaign.

My take? well, the Phobos Stage looks to lead directly to the recent Floating Over Mars stage, as others have noted. But then the Sentinal Prime images we saw didnt have Mars with a giant holw through it. So then Sentinal Prime happens before Phobos?

Maybe you are in Heaven on Mars / Sentinal Prime, then the demons invade and you leave your comfortable peace for some ripping and tearing. To put an end to the Mars shenanigans you blow a hole through the planet (RIP Mr. "I am not the badguy"?)

The question is then how do you go from blowing up Mars to landing on Earth?

It makes sense, I think, to start the game with Mars and then move to Earth, as opposed to the other way, imo. It doesnt seem like the variety of demons is drastically different in the recently dropped video, so its hard to think that there is a battle inside the hole in Mars.

/2cents

26 minutes ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

My take? well, the Phobos Stage looks to lead directly to the recent Floating Over Mars stage, as others have noted. But then the Sentinal Prime images we saw didnt have Mars with a giant holw through it. So then Sentinal Prime happens before Phobos?

I’m not so sure it’s actually Mars in the Sky above Sentinel Prime. Is the entire city (or whatever it is) really just orbiting Mars for some reason?

Only other reason I’m skeptical is because there was a similar-looking planet (or whatever it is) in the skies above Hell in Doom 2016. 

27 minutes ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

The question is then how do you go from blowing up Mars to landing on Earth?

Easiest way, I think:

• Possible Mars level
  • Phobos
  • Orbital Martian Ruins
  • Enter portal for Hell level
  • Exit portal lands you on Earth

@Ramiel

I didnt think of DS going back to hell and coming out of hell on Earth. But that makes sense- because it sorta seems like you are headed towards to giant hole within Mars. But Ya wouldnt think much would be left standing after that BFG 10k blast. So a portal to Hell makes more sense- and you wouldnt be able to come out on Mars after than as its freaking obliterated.

I am in agreement with this wrt Sentiel Prime. I mean, they could change the sky rather easily and these shots were not meant to convey the story but rather a setting. The greenish glow, too, could also be a hint. But as is, I cant see why this stage wouldnt happen prior to what we have been seeing.

All I have to say is that it makes 2016DooM Look mediocre. Like the model changes with it as well, a lot more close to home.

10 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

Maybe you are in Heaven on Mars / Sentinal Prime, then the demons invade and you leave your comfortable peace for some ripping and tearing. To put an end to the Mars shenanigans you blow a hole through the planet (RIP Mr. "I am not the badguy"?)

Maybe Hayden teleported the Doom Slayer to his home (Sentinel Prime) at the end of Doom 2016?

15 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

@Ramiel

I didnt think of DS going back to hell and coming out of hell on Earth. But that makes sense- because it sorta seems like you are headed towards to giant hole within Mars. But Ya wouldnt think much would be left standing after that BFG 10k blast. So a portal to Hell makes more sense- and you wouldnt be able to come out on Mars after than as its freaking obliterated.

I am in agreement with this wrt Sentiel Prime. I mean, they could change the sky rather easily and these shots were not meant to convey the story but rather a setting. The greenish glow, too, could also be a hint. But as is, I cant see why this stage wouldnt happen prior to what we have been seeing.

Phobos WAS Sentinel Prime until it was destroyed or invaded.  Now it is just a big boulder.  My head canon believes that this is the story of Classic Doom; with Doom 2 being retconned into Hell on Mars.

I'm surprised nobody thought of the destroyed planet to be Deimos but that could be wrong.

I don't mind platforming as long as they don't make it like in 2016 where you think you can survive long falls until that Argent tower section where you can fall to the ground from such a height and actually die.

That felt annoying and sort of made some of those animations of Doomguy landing/reacting to his falls misleading, so actual death pits of nothing is fine.

That new enemy looks cool even if he's a bit out of place (in terms of designs) but as long as new gameplay enemy abilities (both from new monsters and recurring) feel varied and different, that is cool.

Doomguy doing "UNF" noises is good, for both giving him more humanity (without making him talk) and possible immersion/feedback.

That chain in the rocket launcher could be from a mod, but still makes the design look more interesting.

Like really, a lot looks good except for the fact the Plasma rifle still feels weak.

It's such a small detail, but I don't really know how I feel about Doom Slayer grunting. On one hand, it's extremely classic, but on the other it makes him feel kind of inconsistent between the two games. It's a really minor thing, so it wont really take away from the final game, tbh. Also, it looks like they're really leaning into arcade elements in this one, even more than 2016, which is interesting because the original Doom was trying to get away from the more arcade-y aspects of Wolfenstein. I guess everything comes full circle eventually.

15 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

It's such a small detail, but I don't really know how I feel about Doom Slayer grunting. On one hand, it's extremely classic, but on the other it makes him feel kind of inconsistent between the two games. It's a really minor thing, so it wont really take away from the final game, tbh. Also, it looks like they're really leaning into arcade elements in this one, even more than 2016, which is interesting because the original Doom was trying to get away from the more arcade-y aspects of Wolfenstein. I guess everything comes full circle eventually.

Honestly, I'm for it. If not for a thematic reasons, it will make give the player a lot more feedback to things going on around them. On a  thematic level; Doom Slayer is capable of being injured (or even having his body destroyed), so grunts aren't -too- far out, IMO.

As for all the suppositions that Mars gets BFG'd; I'm still not convinced that's Mars. For one, the BFG 10K (dislike the name, as I still remember the BFG 10k as being the Quake 2 BFG) looks more like an anti-space ship gun, and not a planet wrecker. With that said; I will grant that it is possible the UAC built it there specifically to contain any possible outbreaks on Mars. Why they didn't fire it at the start of D2016 is another question though. Maybe it was Samuel going "Nooo my Argent reactors!" ?

Regarding the game play fottage itself...all I can say is F*** YEAH!!!! I WANT IT NOW!

The footage reminds me a lot of what was often missing from D16, but was a major aspect of the originals: Large, sprawling levels with lots of room for exploration. Clearly, in the years since the last game, idtech6 has been able to handle a more ambitious and larger scale kind of gameplay. I'm also quite excited about the air dashes and meat hook. They represent the logical next step for movement in Doom.

9 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

A bit concerned by the platforming. I wasn't fond of that, never have been.

Just as long as it isn't every level a small amount of platforming is okay.  I don't want it ot be a new feature since that would get in the way of killing shit.

11 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

Same here. It reminds me of Quake 3. On the other side, Doom 2 already had a lot of platform elevators which weren't common at that time. And some jumping puzzles too.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, Mk7_Centipede said:

In the Hell on Earth stage you pick up the rocket launcher, which i assume is a later tier weapon- again reenforcing the idea that the stage is on the back end of the campaign.

I can see them giving you the rocket launcher earlier in the game than later. In fact, I see them giving you every weapon available before the halfway mark.

Also, them getting the rocket launcher in the Hell on Earth level in the reveal gameplay doesn't mean thats when you get it in the game; just look at the Doom E3 2015 footage where the player got weapons and saw demons that weren't in the foundry level in the final game.

18 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

At the very least, it looks easier now than ever with the boost, swinging, and wall climbing.

I’m sure id will pace the platform if bits appropriately so that it doesn’t seem more jumpy than shooty.

I’m loving the setting. Hopefully we’ll be able to visit old destroyed ‘16 doom levels. 

Other than that that I can’t really say much other than that I want it in my hands ASAP.  

I guess I have one other notable remark wrt teh crucible:

so id confirmed that you still have the same 8 weapons from the original; they also said you will be able to use the crucible as a weapon. Does that mean we only use it in quicktime events or something? I was hoping for a chainsaw alternate- as there was only like 1 berserk in all of 2016 iirc.

Anyone else have an idea as to how you use a weapon that is not a weapon?

9 minutes ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

I guess I have one other notable remark wrt teh crucible:

so id confirmed that you still have the same 8 weapons from the original; they also said you will be able to use the crucible as a weapon. Does that mean we only use it in quicktime events or something? I was hoping for a chainsaw alternate- as there was only like 1 berserk in all of 2016 iirc.

Anyone else have an idea as to how you use a weapon that is not a weapon?

Maybe it’s just an additional super weapon (since I’m assuming the BFG returns as well) mapped to another button. 

But I’m also wondering how they make it feel special, since it seems like it would be functionally identical to the chainsaw (swing at enemy for an insta-kill).

16 hours ago, Ramiel said:

Maybe it’s just an additional super weapon (since I’m assuming the BFG returns as well) mapped to another button. 

But I’m also wondering how they make it feel special, since it seems like it would be functionally identical to the chainsaw (swing at enemy for an insta-kill).

I was thinking about something along the lines of Skyrim's Bloodskal Blade.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:11 PM, Ramiel said:

Although the Gauss Cannon is now the ballista... with no knockbaxk for jumps (or shooting off ledges!)

On 3/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, Ramiel said:

At the very least, it looks easier now than ever with the boost, swinging, and wall climbing.

That makes it even worse. Because now it's not straightforward.

15 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

That makes it even worse. Because now it's not straightforward.

Because the original Doom is straightforward? Cryptic level design for the most part.

15 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Because the original Doom is straightforward? Cryptic level design for the most part.

More like nonlinear, with puzzles, exploration, and that sort of thing.

"Cryptic" would be something along the lines of Eternal Doom I think.

I see what you mean about the non-linear, puzzle-driven gameplay not necessarily being cryptic...but DE doesn't look non-intuitive. It looks like it's taking us back to classic level design ideas.

I'm so far behind in news that i haven't even heard of the Google Stadia or w/e the hell it is (not that i really care about it tbh, that are more important things going on in my life afterall, sortof). More Doom Eternal footage is nice to see though.

I am a tad more interested in this game then i was in Doom 2016. I mean, i was super stoked about Doom 2016 at first but then after not being able to see that footage at Quakecon 2014, it just left a bad taste in my mouth (even though supposedly that footage was what was mainly showed next year i believe).