Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomKid423

Vanilla or gzdoom

Whenever I play a new wad something comes to my mind. Is this made for vanilla play or gzdoom play? Because if it is vanilla, I would like to play it just like the original doom- no jumping no looking up and down and no using mouse. So, before playing any wad, is there an actual way to find out if it made for vanilla play or gzdoom play?

In most cases, all of the wads' infos are stored in their .txt file. (If you want to look for the port it was made for, check the "Advanced engine needed" tab)
Either way, ask the WAD's developer(s) or try searching the release thread.

What TheNoob_Gamer said. Otherwise, a source I sometimes use is dsda to check if a certain wad is best to be played in vanilla or boom compatibility, in the case it's not clearly specified anywhere else, most likely you'll find it out there, also assuming people made demos for the wad in question. Reviews section too, some people (like myself) have reviewed a few wads saying what source port they used and what errors they found.

23 hours ago, DoomKid423 said:

Because if it is vanilla, I would like to play it just like the original doom- no jumping no looking up and down and no using mouse.

The original game supported the mouse from the very beginning. Mouse + keyboard was even the recommended and default set-up. Where do these misconceptions come from?

On 3/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, Grazza said:

The original game supported the mouse from the very beginning. Mouse + keyboard was even the recommended and default set-up. Where do these misconceptions come from?

I guess he is talking about using the arrow keys instead of WASD.

Edited by Noiser

On 3/19/2019 at 5:05 PM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

In most cases, all of the wads' infos are stored in their .txt file. (If you want to look for the port it was made for, check the "Advanced engine needed" tab)
Either way, ask the WAD's developer(s) or try searching the release thread.

Basically this.

The authors need to provide all the necessary play information after the modification gets a public release.

As others have said, most wads will state requirements for playing. With that said, gzdoom can run anything. If you want to play with just a keyboard there's no one stopping you. If you want the game to behave like it would if you were playing doom.exe you can do that too. There's a compatibility menu in options that lets you fine tune the rules.