Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Why did D'sparil build his fortresses underwater?

It seems like a really specific decision by Raven to place D'sparil's domain in domes under the sea. I'm not going to ask why, because I doubt Raven bothered detailing the story beyond the gameplay premise (please correct me if wrong), but I wonder what could have inspired them. Who else from either history or legends has thought about building their castles in glass domes under the sea? Seems like an expensive endeavour, as we barely have these things in real life. 

Maybe they tried to make a contrast to final area of Doom? You know, hell and fire and so on. I'm glad they did because water levels are my favorite in the game, especially E3M9: The Aquifer.

I haven't played through the Heretic/ Hexen series, but from what little I did experiance, I always loved the concept. Anyhow, take anything I have to say with  a massive grain of salt, as it's coming from someone who mostly read -about- the story, rather than played it himself. 

...not that the plot specifics have much bearing on the theory....

Ekhm..anyhow...

If one were to go with in-world logic, I would imagine that it's a defense in and of itself. In a medieval era world like Heretic/ Hexen, besieging a castle is a tough enough endeavor on land. Who in the heck is going to be capable of sending a legion down to an underwater palace? Even for wizards (most of whom would be of far lesser power than D'sparil or Corvus himself), the ocean is a hostile environment that you can't simply march down into. Assuming a massive warband used the portals too, well... if things got that bad for D'sparil, he could then simply pop the dome and the entirety of the enemy force, using his power to preserve himself while laughing away. 

2 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

if things got that bad for D'sparil, he could then simply pop the dome and the entirety of the enemy force, using his power to preserve himself while laughing away. 

I wonder why he didn't do that while losing the fight with Corvus :D.

9 minutes ago, Paar said:

Because then we wouldn't have a sequel, and Raven wouldn't get more money.

Why else did the Demons invade Earth in Doom...

3 hours ago, Paar said:

Maybe he didn't memorize his "Breath Underwater" spell that day, because he figured "eh, one guy...what's the worst that could happen?" : P

10 hours ago, printz said:

Seems like an expensive endeavour, as we barely have these things in real life.  

i think many things are easier when you're an immortal demon lord from outer space X)

After reading too much Ayn Rand, D'sparil wanted to build a capitalist utopia under the sea, where reason and individualism were paramount.

1) It is cool.

2) Because he can.

3) Most of his army -before the traitors worshipped him- are ophidians -snake people-, mechanical saberclaws and undead who don't care about oxygen.

4) He is most likely a demonic creature like his siblings, no disgusting O2 required.

5) Everyone else would die trying to reach his dome.

6) No one will even find it, no matter how hard they search.

7) Has hell mt and the damned city as firewalls for the teleporters.

8) can reinforce nonstop with disciples, most likely killing anyone who breached unless they are a batshit strong elf.

Corvus was really lucky he had main protagonist plot armor since D'sparil and his troops had no problem smashing through the elves kingdom. D'sparil allowing him to teleport to the dome in the first place at the end of episode 2 led to his demise where otherwise he could've just disabled the portals or made them lead to wherever the fuck Corvus gets lost in after episode 3.

I like to imagine the heresiarch\Pre-hexen Korax is really angry at how stupid D'sparil is than actually caring his brother died. He doesn't even send his legion to attack the world Corvus is in after all. Eidolon isn't that great of a brother as well. Leaving the remains of his brother in some shitty area rather than a tomb or some necromancy, hey at least he got them after all (since D'sparils dome collapsed after his death)

Actually I'll just go with the writers not giving any of the stories much thought. They contradict heretic 1 at the very start of heretic 2 by having corvus teleporting back to the city of the damned (not the elven capital).. and the undead still exist even after the ending of heretic's first episode made it clear the death of the 3 iron liches killed all the undead in that world..

D'sparil really loved marine biology and would commonly put his ear against the side of the dome to hear all the whale sounds.

Well, it is a strategic zone, the deep ocean is the only place in the upper earthbound where the human cannot reach. Conspiranoics say that there are a lot of alien spaceships ready to annihilate the human race. In the Lovecraft's Mythos, Cthulhu sleeps on an alien city in the deep ocean, too...

printz:

On 3/21/2019 at 2:00 AM, printz said:

I'm not going to ask why, because I doubt Raven bothered detailing the story beyond the gameplay premise

Also printz:

Capture.PNG.9d07690b0d200a180f497765b215f8a0.PNG

10 hours ago, Rednov said:

Well, it is a strategic zone, the deep ocean is the only place in the upper earthbound where the human cannot reach. Conspiranoics say that there are a lot of alien spaceships ready to annihilate the human race. In the Lovecraft's Mythos, Cthulhu sleeps on an alien city in the deep ocean, too...

This is the analogy I was looking for! Makes a lot of sense now.