Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

New single level wad: Phobos Abandoned Outpost

Hey folks, so I'm releasing a new level that I've had laying around. Originally the first half of a bigger map but i decided to split them into two separate levels because they are both quite big. I was going to release them together as a 2-level wad but I thought I'd just release this one now and release part 2 later in the year. (When it finally gets finished). 

It's my attempt at a fast paced tech shootout. 

Story: "You are an ex-marine mercenary called in to investigate an abandoned UAC facility on Phobos." (LOL)

Hope you like it. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApY-6nyxnceybP64UoMx8sR0nTE

Phobos at 2018.05.18 17-32-47.710 [R2787].jpg

Phobos at 2018.04.27 23-50-30.407 [R2787].jpg

NewPhobos at 2018.08.12 20-04-36.490 [R2787].jpg

Maybe not required but not tested with other ports so i don't know if it's GZDoom compatible only. It's probably fine on most ports considering its a simple Doom2 UDMF map. 

UDMF = definitely not fine on most ports. It's basically a matter of "is it GZDoom only or is ZDoom okay?" Unless you happened not to use any UDMF exclusive features (but I think even then it wouldn't run on Boom), but now I see a slope right away, so...yeah.

In any case I look forward to sinking my teeth into it soon.

I don't think anything but one of the ZDoom family (yes, that includes GZDoom) can handle UDMF. And if it's UDMF, I think you should definitely mention that in the description.

What about jumping, crouching, and freelook? Are they required? Or would they break the map? Or not matter at all?

As for the map, the screenshots look nice. What other texture packs did you use in making it?

Over 60MB seems a lot for this map, you can try to remove the unused textures (for some reasons you also included the stock textures in png format). Seems allright overall but I wasn't fond of the gameplay. The places are huge and sparsely populated, the layout worsen that with only rooms and corridors with little to no interconnection. The use of monster closet is a good idea but in these wide rooms it was more annoying rather than making the combats more interesting.

20 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I don't think anything but one of the ZDoom family (yes, that includes GZDoom) can handle UDMF. And if it's UDMF, I think you should definitely mention that in the description.

There's also eternity and edge udmf. So udmf isn't only zdoom/gzdoom thing. 

As for map, I'll test later if I won't forget.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

I see a slope right away, so...yeah.

I've seen slopes in maps designed for ZDaemon, so I wouldn't necessarily go as far as equating anything with slopes as GZDoom-exclusive material.

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

UDMF = definitely not fine on most ports. It's basically a matter of "is it GZDoom only or is ZDoom okay?" Unless you happened not to use any UDMF exclusive features (but I think even then it wouldn't run on Boom), but now I see a slope right away, so...yeah.

@HAK3180Got it. Excuse my ignorance, I'm only familiar with GZdoom and a noob when it comes to other ports and their capabilities. There are slopes used in the map but i don't there are any other UDMF only features used. I like your review style and looking forward to seeing your opinion. Hope you'll enjoy playing it. 

7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

And if it's UDMF, I think you should definitely mention that in the description.

What about jumping, crouching, and freelook? Are they required? Or would they break the map? Or not matter at all?

As for the map, the screenshots look nice. What other texture packs did you use in making it?

@Pegleg Right. I'll include that in the .txt when i submit it to the database. 

It's a pretty standard Doom II style map so there's no jumping / crouching required. Freelook shouldn't be a problem. 

Texture packs used are: Doom textures for DoomII / grasstex / jimmytex / koultex / nb_flats / NB_RECOL / nb_silv / ultratex /wallytex (all taken from the Afterglow website)

7 hours ago, gaspe said:

Over 60MB seems a lot for this map, you can try to remove the unused textures (for some reasons you also included the stock textures in png format). 

@gaspeWasn't aware that the stock textures were in png as well, thanks. pretty sure I removed all unused textures in Slade...unless i screwed that up...?

On 3/27/2019 at 10:31 AM, KVELLER said:

The link is down :(

Yep, sorry. That was the first release version.  I've made a few minor tweaks and now i have an improved final edit.

It's been submitted to the archives but after two weeks it's still not published : (  Don't know what's going on there so I've decided to put a link here, if anyone's interested:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApY-6nyxnceybZtHYXfIcW_W5e8

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/410481821

Playtested this wad SECOND as part of a recent livestream. Admittingly I got lost for a while and didn't figure out the location of the switch to the pillared off room for about 10-15 minutes, but otherwise found this to be an interesting map.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:28 AM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/410481821

Playtested this wad SECOND as part of a recent livestream. Admittingly I got lost for a while and didn't figure out the location of the switch to the pillared off room for about 10-15 minutes, but otherwise found this to be an interesting map.

Thanks for playing John. Hope you liked it!

Hey so this map just got added to the IDgames archive:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/pao

I added a few extra little touches and improved flow / gameplay a bit for the final edit. A lot more monsters, earlier shotgun and less rockets because there was too much rocket spam. Now it's just right. 

I'm posting this message because the other links (above) are now discontinued. 

Hopefully part 2 will be finished soon.