Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

How do you think the Sword would work in the game?

I like sword. It's a personal weapon.

I'm kinda worried that it might just be an optional chainsaw-item-harvest-mechanic replacer in favor of having a more classic infinite fuel chainsaw (though some would very much like that) that deals less damage but stunlocks your enemies. Iconic but useless tbh. I don't really know what to think, part of me wishes that it would be nice if it worked like skyrim greatswords but another wishes that it needs to be balanced with it having way to much damage potential (albeit slow and close-quarters). It's not the crucible so it must have a weakness or a limit. Not a fan of swords with ammo though, like those in halo.

what do you guys think?

2 things I can think of right now:

1. It's probably a special item that can be used in specific cases like bosses.
  2. It's probably an item that you have to charge up and use when fully charged.

I can forsee it as a chainsaw replacer too, doing its own animation etc.

Or it could be a charge weapon that does tremendous damage and slice literal limbs off demons or chop them in half but the power runs out fast.

Pretty much as tempdecal.wad is saying I could also see it as Boss specific but that would be disappointing. Maybe normal slashing against bosses and instant kills against minions.

It probably sucks the life source of demons and gives health like the soul cube. Maybe it can be upgraded to do specific things.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:05 PM, tempdecal.wad said:
  1. It's probably a special item that can be used in specific cases like bosses.

Maybe it's sentient and only reacts when certain types of demons (i.e. the Arch-Vile) are nearby. Or maybe certain demons carry some type of energy (Argent?) that activates the sword whenever they're around. 

It could be gaining power as you kill enemies with it to reward risk taking, and you can discharge it on a bigger foe with an alternate slash. Maybe harder to wield than the chainsaw so that they both have their uses. Like you must time your attack properly as you close in, classic tyson style.

I am all for cool laser swords. I love the Shadow Warrior reboots with their melee combat, I grew up playing the Jedi Knight games, and in general am just a fan of the whole "up close and personal" thing.

....but....

Shadow Warrior and Jedi Knight both ended up focusing on melee at the cost of gun play. Both of those games get to a point where melee weapons really are just the flat out better way to go. I have to admit, I'm at a bit of a loss thinking of how they will balance the whole "epic laser sword" thing in Eternal without either making it infinitely better than the guns, or without making it kind of worthless.

I do agree with some of the above posts suggesting that it might end up being a "charged up" weapon, maybe like the Soul Cube in Doom 3. You know, after slaying X number of demons (not undead), the sword is ready to be used for a short amount of time.  

As much as Devil May Cry fan in me wants the sword be used any time like any other weapon in game, that might not fit Doom that well. But some kind of mechanic where you gain "sword-meter" for kills and then you could unleash Doom Slayer's devil trigger style "sword slayer mode" where you become very powerful and use the sword to destroy monsters. Sword could be our only weapon in this mode but you would have many different kinds of attacks and combos with the sword during it.

If sword is used in boss fights, there really should be a charged up state for Doom Slayer to use the sword same way during the normal battle situations. It being only used only during boss fights makes it feel too much like a gimmick and and hurts the smooth flow of the gameplay experience. Just give the player temporarily unlimited use of regular sword mechanics if you want to make boss fight with only sword as usable weapon. It makes sense since it could be explained with Doom Slayer being, at that moment, more bloodthirsty than usual. Doom Slayer just gaining suddenly use of sword for a boss fight and losing it as soon it is over makes no sense.

It is probably a IWIN button like the chainsaw or BFG.

Or it might just be the pistol replacement when you are out of ammo.

Could work similar to Doom 3's soul cube, kill x many enemies and get a sword token good for one free instagib before needing to get more kills to use it again.

22 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Could work similar to Doom 3's soul cube, kill x many enemies and get a sword token good for one free instagib before needing to get more kills to use it again.

Probably exactly how it works.

collect Argent Energy from glory kills to fill your sword meter, then go nuts.

sort of like a refillable chainsaw.

45 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

That would be a great idea honestly otherwise it would make the BFG/Chainsaw too redundant.  I just hope it requires more than 5 souls otherwise the game is going to be too easy.

If rune trials are still a thing, there will probably be one that lets you bank an extra kill or two with the sword.
Example...Kill lets assume ten enemies to charge the sword, once it's charged, you don't gain sword charge until the sword is depleted by using it on an enemy.

Do a rune trial (preferably past the midway point of the game) and you can get the sword charged up for two or three kills, if that's the case then you could either kill three enemies with the sword or spend all two or three charges in a single swing either for a wave effect that acts similar to the BFG or double or triple damage to a single opponent.
The problem with that is unless you're fighting multiple bosses and enemies in one area, this could be way beyond over powered.

If it's not charged up similar to the Soul Cube in Doom 3, then I could imagine it being powered by Argent energy that the player collects, similar to chainsaw fuel. Of course, this begs the question of how they would distinguish it from the chainsaw, so it's not just a glowing version of the chainsaw. In that regard, I would expect it to wield *significantly* more power than the chainsaw, and for the ammo (whatever it is) to be considerably more scarce. 

I like the idea of it being charged up similar to the Soul Cube, but the more I think about it, I find that less likely.

That's the big issue, none of us know how the thing works yet, I prefer the soul cube charge up method as it would distinguish it's self from the chainsaw.
If it's limits are chainsaw/BFG based, it needs to do something to set it apart from the two.
I think someone posted on the thread earlier that it might be a straight up melee weapon, that would be fine though anticlimactic from what it was suggested to be in D4.
It could be both a "fists" type weapon and a power weapon for all we know.

What if it is bit like demon runes in D4 multiplayer? Give Doom Slayer his own demon form that gives you full use of the sword and it would be your only weapon in this form. Enhance all Doom Slayers abilities in the demon form and maybe give some extra abilities, make the player really feel very powerful. The demon form should have both melee attacks and projectile attacks.

It could charged up mechanic or could even be a powerup. Charged up would add more variety to actual combat system and maybe could be even upgraded but powerup could be used in more controlled manner to create encounters specially built for it so the battlefield could be always suited for the powerup when it is around.

1 minute ago, Marn said:

Its a boomerang

if that's the case then knowing my luck, it'll get stuck on stuff like Turok 2's Razor Wind.

A boomerang would make more sense as an equipment item/something out of the shoulder gun.

At least you can call it "Doomerang".

Oh sweet coffee of mine, the predator cannon, I hope that thing is balanced, it looks good so far since it looks like it just lobs grenades and shoots fire.
The "Doomerang" and the "Slayer"? cannon.

It may work same as samurai sword in Shadow Warrior reboot and its sequel. As Doom Eternal allows you to use melee attack at will! Not just for gore kill! 

One way it could work is if it is the only weapon that can harm or at least kill certain monsters. Imagine pumping an archville full of plasma and then suddenly it flashes and you know it's time to use the sword. You have to run up and finish him off but he's not staggered and he's still fighting.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:30 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

One way it could work is if it is the only weapon that can harm or at least kill certain monsters. Imagine pumping an archville full of plasma and then suddenly it flashes and you know it's time to use the sword. You have to run up and finish him off but he's not staggered and he's still fighting.

I would hate that idea honestly sorry.  If I can't shoot it till it dies then it isn't a good enemy in doom imo.

The Cyberdemon (and Gaurdian) from Doom 3 had that kind of silly gimmick.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

I would hate that idea honestly sorry.  If I can't shoot it till it dies then it isn't a good enemy in doom imo.

Exactly. 

Why hey even bother having it if you only get to use it in ultra-specific circumstances?

I like the trend of finishing bosses with glory kills anyway.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

I have to agree, that is my single biggest issue with Doom 3, it doesn't need to make a comeback.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:03 PM, wolfmcbeard said:

Oh sweet coffee of mine, the predator cannon, I hope that thing is balanced, it looks good so far since it looks like it just lobs grenades and shoots fire.

Yeah, not to sidetrack the thread, but thus far it merely resembles the Predator cannon in it's basic form and placement on the Slayer's armor. I should hope they keep it restricted to being a grenade launcher/low-level flame thrower. It's abilities seem rather limited, which is how it should stay. 

@Caffeine Freak I almost couldn't agree more, maybe get a somewhat more powerful flame thrower or napalmer as you progress through the game, but nothing more.
And hopefully equal measure of balance for the sword, enough power to make it useful depending on the situation without overshadowing the rest of the arsenal including the chainsaw and BFG.

Well, the sword is a powerful weapon and it will play a major role in Doom eternal. E3 this year will explain more about this great game. Hopefully the sword can be wielded at will! 

Perhaps it's a combination of the soul-cube and unmaker that takes place of your fist (quick melee), a weapon that runs on souls of enemies you kill that is also upgraded by secret runes you collect. 

Edited by STILES