Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

Hey @HAK3180 a little off topic but I noticed that you didnt have a channel banner so I made you one:

image.png.d8e36966d483441412a8232b7db791e2.png

If you want me to change it in any way lemme know!

Maybe its not the correct term but;rfdhaatjatj.PNG.a72b5da003ebce9a41e39793381c350c.PNG

The thing I circled in red is the "Channel Banner".

Hello , I don't know if you're still making videos but I'm interested to see you playing my new map : Shipwrecked.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K-gUkQSPGbhF6aFryvOPG4zqqpARbn4v/view?usp=sharing

Important infos :

Iwad : Doom

Level : E2M8

Compatibility : Limit-removing (complevel 3)

Saves : Recommanded

Difficulty : Medium/Hard

Have fun !

@Roofi (Sorry for the major delay)

download the .wad

This is a good map to look at. It’s all stock textures, but they’re used well and the geometry makes this a nice, 3D adventure. The aura throughout is spot on; Roofi creates, if nothing else, an experience. I do appreciate the overall progression. It’s hinted at throughout the map, and you figure out early how the thing will basically play. I think there are some points that could be potentially confusing, especially without the automap. A couple times I think I might have been lost for ten minutes in another life, but I just got lucky.

The combat was a bit lacking for me. I found all of one secret but still always had a surplus of ammo and sufficient health. The “incidental” combat was fine with touches of greatness, like when so many monsters have lines of sights, some from high up. But I also shotgunned about half a dozen barons. I also cleaned up demons and humans from where they had no chance of getting close to me. And when I finally did get the rocket launcher and plasma gun, it was pretty much a spamfest. So I’d be very interested to see how this goes on Ultra-Violence and/or with some more secrets. Also, props for a unique ending fight.

Bottom line: It could use a little more challenge and variety in combat, and the progression is potentially obscure, but atmosphere makes this thing quite enjoyable.

Thanks for playing my map !

I will remove many barons in my future update and correct some little bugs. Also , I see that the fake black sky doesn't render well on glboom but I can't do anything. I think I should have recommanded you to play on prboom but whatever. I will also make the platforming part a bit less frustrating.

@UNERXAi 

Doomworld forum topic

This map doesn’t really offer anything unique. It’s vanilla and uses stock resources, and not really in an innovative way. As such, there may not be much of an audience for this 25 years after Doom 2. But for what it is, it’s pretty good. If all you ever wanted to do was play more Doom, but you know the levels too well by now, this is the kind of thing for you. It’s got a nice, elegant progression. The design is simple but effective. The opposition is not very fierce, but it’s still somewhat engaging. If this is to be Map 02 of a megawad in the vein of something like Doom 2 the Way Id Did, I think it’s off to a decent start.

Bottom line: could be a small piece of a fine mapset

Hey, thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it. And yes it's indeed supposed to be a 2nd map out of 32 so I didn't wanna make it too hard. Still I think I'm gonna remove some goodies to make it a little tougher. Also a few other minor changes. Very helpful video. :-)

@PeterMoro

Doomworld forum topic

There’s a lot to like here. It’s (1/2 of) an epic tech base with numerous paths that all converge. Exploration is key and, combined with a general grand appearance, creates almost a cinematic feel, like you’re in a movie. Compared to PeterMoro’s other similar effort, I saw a lot of improvements, like fewer “useless” areas (though you are gonna need some to create that senses of exploring), no “extra” keyed doors, and a closer relationship between starting and reaching goals. The combat was fun, but it was perhaps a bit too easy, with a surplus of health and rockets. With so many berserks, I think both can be cut significantly, especially on Ultra-Violence, though I understand the appeal of getting away from the standard grind of shotgun-chaingun. Perhaps the plasma gun could be much earlier just without significant ammo until much later. Visually, it’s pretty good. The nice little tech touches are abundant. The only real criticism is (and it’s interesting because I think I’m the opposite) is that it seems more attention went into floor/ceiling detail than wall detail.

Bottom line: Nonlinear tech fun that makes you want part 2

Thanks for the review. Glad you liked it! You made some good points and mentioned a few things that I hadn't considered. Cheers. (pt2 is on it's way...)

I've got another Interception II preview for you to check out, @HAK3180 . I've received very little feedback on this one, so I'd love to hear what you think.

Here's the map in a single wad. Plays on Map22. Music is final:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hd6yqamhc06v0lq/Int2-Map22-preview.wad/file

EDIT: The name is "Power Plant", and the map was designed solely by me, since I forgot to carry over the intermission screen map title graphic.

@The Mysterious Moustachio

Doomworld forum topic (project)

There’s a lot to like. I would think about redistributing the plasma a little bit but the overall balance is fine. I don’t actually mind no (nonsecret) plasma gun; it makes the final section a lot more strategic. There are some situations early where the combat is a touch underwhelming/campy. And the very ending confused me a little bit, but everything else is high praise. Great overall design. The ending section gives the map a unique character – something by which to remember it, both visually, and gameplay-wise. This set’s gonna be great.

Bottom line: Steady incline of difficulty in a variety of exciting settings

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This is just high quality Doom with nothing custom except the sky. It’s plenty detailed for vanilla. The layout is versatile, starting linear and turning into an interconnected party for the second two thirds. The attention to monster placement is great. The encounters are always fair, yet engaging, a fun mix of roaming monsters, incidental fights, and signature key fights. The layout and the lighting set the mood and make the gameplay exciting and varied.

Bottom line: Good, old-fashioned Doom with modern skill in mind

I have played quite a few of this wad author’s maps now, and they are consistently well done. Moreover, I have only not liked about two ever. This time you get a map that seems to take inspiration from Industrial Zone. It has city elements with a lot of wide open outdoor, but the roamers are not placed unfairly, just cleverly. The map looks great. A lot of height levels and different textures that serve the same purpose (multiple bricks, multiple rocks, etc) give it a somewhat realistic look while maintaining old school Doom visual charm. The gameplay itself was engaging. There were some switches, some keys, some travel, and a variety of different fights that were all pretty fun. The very end was something of a weak point. It would be hard not to have lots of plasma at that point, but it was just a few mid-tiers.

Bottom line: a map philosophy that I love executed very well across the board

@Big Ol Billy

This is a weird, trippy map simultaneously featuring very conventional progression and a pervasive sense of “I have no idea what’s going on.” Right away you get the sense that this map is not so normal, and that aura stays with you the whole way through. I don’t really know what all I needed to do and what was secret/optional, but I enjoyed the puzzle pieces, particularly the light triggers in the two similar rooms. I also enjoyed the distinct fights. Personally, I would not line up to play a megawad full of maps like this, but every once in a while, it’s fun to venture from your comfort/familiarity zone/

Bottom line: A bizarre map of atmosphere. Some will like it. All should appreciate it.

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

I really enjoy the layout. Small staircases separate numerous levels that are also liftable. Plus windows allow you to go down many more ways than you can go up in addition to providing sight lines. It's also a good use of almost all right angles. It's a speed map, so it's not gorgeous, but it gets the job done visually. The gameplay itself is classic and mildly threatening until one switch really sends you into beast mode, lest you get yourself swiftly killed. Overall, it's a fun way to spend some time and the latter part can be satisfying figuring out the best strategy.

Bottom line: a successful couple hours speedmapping, I'd say.

14 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Egg Boy

Doomworld forum topic

I really enjoy the layout. Small staircases separate numerous levels that are also liftable. Plus windows allow you to go down many more ways than you can go up in addition to providing sight lines. It's also a good use of almost all right angles. It's a speed map, so it's not gorgeous, but it gets the job done visually. The gameplay itself is classic and mildly threatening until one switch really sends you into beast mode, lest you get yourself swiftly killed. Overall, it's a fun way to spend some time and the latter part can be satisfying figuring out the best strategy.

Bottom line: a successful couple hours speedmapping, I'd say.

Thank you so much for playing this again, especially in its intended port because I think it makes the race to the rocket launcher more interesting. I started the map with the intention of making it a very easy but interconnected layout with very little in the way of opposition. Obviously it didn't turn out this way. "Beginners welcome" was merely a joke about the maps initial intentions. The second half is where things get interesting because it's all about getting that rocket launcher first and defending that corner (or running past the barons, and imps into the cyberdemon if you're daring). After lowering the blue key, the map becomes less of a base crawl and more of an oppressive yet frantic battle to get a foothold. It seems like you understood this, perhaps even more than I did while designing it. I simply felt like being evil (besides the rocket launcher thing, I definitely realized its true meaning when I placed it). And when I say I was taking a break from a larger project. I actually mean I'm trying to get back into it, haven't touched it for 3 months. got stuck trying to think up a design for a certain important map in the set. More speedmaps to come, I may even pick out a few I like, gussy them up and put them into the project if they're good enough.

23 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: A bizarre map of atmosphere. Some will like it. All should appreciate it.

Thanks HAK this was a fun watch! The textures, alternate dimension theme, and boom options really gave me license to get freaky here. Glad it was more trippy/mysterious than obnoxious for you, though I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, HAK3180 said:

@Big Ol Billy

This is a weird, trippy map simultaneously featuring very conventional progression and a pervasive sense of “I have no idea what’s going on.” Right away you get the sense that this map is not so normal, and that aura stays with you the whole way through. I don’t really know what all I needed to do and what was secret/optional, but I enjoyed the puzzle pieces, particularly the light triggers in the two similar rooms. I also enjoyed the distinct fights. Personally, I would not line up to play a megawad full of maps like this, but every once in a while, it’s fun to venture from your comfort/familiarity zone/

this is basically one of the best maps i've ever seen... thanks a lot for sharing it!

Edited by Zolgia108