Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zer0synd1cate

Doom editors...

Question

Is there a Doom wad creator/editor that is EXTREMELY similar to the Hammer World Editor (used for games like CS:GO and GMod)? I thought I might ask because honestly, I don't feel like learning a new level editor. If you want to see how the hammer editor works, check out 3kliksphilip's tutorials on Hammer so you can determine if an editor is similar to hammer.

Thanks in advance,

-zer0

5 answers to this question

Simply put, no, because those are 3D editors for 3D games, whereas Doom is fundamentally a 2D engine, so you will have to get used to drawing lines or at least shapes on a grid being the bulk of your editing.

Now, a lot of the more advanced editors (like GZDoom Builder or SLADE) have 3D preview modes, and you can do a lot of the finer stuff in those, such as texture alignment or floor/ceiling height adjustment.

But simply put, you are going to have to re-learn how to do things, because the engine is fundamentally different.

There's not much to learn aside from 3-4 keybinds and vocabulary is different. Instead of manipulating vertices and faces and brushes, you're manipulating vertices and linedefs and sectors. Oh and you dont have side view editing windows because it's just not necessary. Editing in camera is a keybind away, instead of occupying a window (at least in doom builder 2... maaaaaybe gzdoom builder has a way of having a split screen with 3d view always on, I haven't used it in years)

Well, most popular editors for Doom is Doom Builder x or Gzdoom Builder. Regardless of mapping format, you'll spend most your time on 2d grid mode, drawing map layout and giving actions and placing monsters, a bit less on 3d more to define heights and place textures and using port to test map changes. Mapping for Doom is quite easy, but mastering it can take some time.

3 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

(at least in doom builder 2... maaaaaybe gzdoom builder has a way of having a split screen with 3d view always on, I haven't used it in years)

No, gzdoom builder still uses keybind to get into 3d, same as doom builder 2 or Doom Builder x. 

I have used Hammer before, for TFC (Half-Life) and for TF2.  Editors for Doom will be different because Doom is different.  The file format of the maps is completely different, so the editor has to be different.

I find sector-based editing to be much more enjoyable than brush-based editing.  Give it a try!

Well, there's nothing exactly replicating the style of Hammer but most map creators are also grid-based and do have a visual mode however you can only view the 2D view from top down.