Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedDude

Can you install and use multiple source ports without uninstalling the previous one?

Right now I run Doom with Crispy Doom. Could I run Doom on Crispy Doom and another source port like GZDoom? Whenever I feel like playing Doom on GZDoom instead of Crispy Doom could I just download the source port, set it up, and play Doom without uninstalling Crispy Doom?

Yes you can keep multiple source ports installed at the same time, they won't be affected by the other ports. and of course you can switch between them.

I have about the last 22 versions of GZDoom all still installed. I should probably tidy some of those up!

55 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I have about the last 22 versions of GZDoom all still installed. I should probably tidy some of those up!

Why?

Just now, jerk-o said:

Why not?

I mean the more the better but it seems a little redundant nevertheless. But I guess you can have too much Doom, right?

57 minutes ago, Rhebiz said:

I mean the more the better but it seems a little redundant nevertheless. But I guess you can have too much Doom, right?

Back-testing mostly.  Elementalism uses pretty cutting edge GZDoom features (some features in GZDoom were added because the mapset needed them) so it's useful to have previous versions to check back to see which versions work or not.

This has already been answered but w/e.

Like everyone else said, sure you can. Just keep them in separate folders and you should be good. I was experimenting with a lot of source ports recently so i have quite a few of them that i organized in folders.

Like this: (this is on Win 7 btw but the same applies for other OS's) (and yes i only have 1 HDD, it kinda sucks).

Capture1.PNG.f1c8670a74a56e7b1eebde2da1b95355.PNG

@CyberDreams But why PrBoom if you already have PrBoom+? Same for QZDoom, which is supposedly just an experimental port for features that are meant to be implemented in GZDoom.

11 minutes ago, seed said:

@CyberDreams But why PrBoom if you already have PrBoom+? Same for QZDoom, which is supposedly just an experimental port for features that are meant to be implemented in GZDoom.

I was just curious to see what the difference was and how well they ran. I guess i was trying to collect all of them for a while but then i decided not to. I mainly just use GZDoom (as i've been experimenting with some mods lately) and PrBoom+ or GLBoom+ as that seems to run better for me then PrBoom+ does (although i do like the software based rendering a lot better).

Oh and Zandronum is alright if i want to mess around with some bot death matches haha. The bots are kindy iffy with pathing in some maps though it seems.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:16 PM, Sector 147 said:

Right now I run Doom with Crispy Doom. Could I run Doom on Crispy Doom and another source port like GZDoom? Whenever I feel like playing Doom on GZDoom instead of Crispy Doom could I just download the source port, set it up, and play Doom without uninstalling Crispy Doom?

Of course you can, as long as they're in separate folders. And just an FYI, you can use ZDL for more than just ZDoom source ports, I got 2 different PrBooms,( one's a Dev Build I guess), multiple GZDooms because some mods only run on earlier versions, Doom Retro, K8Vavoom, Eternity, Chocolate, and Crispy. The only one I've had refuse to work with ZDL is Doomsday.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:36 AM, seed said:

I'm not CyberDreams, but I imagine that original PrBoom is still the best option to record multiplayer demos of limit removing Boom map sets (as in meant to be used with -complevel 9, but breaks dos boom). PrBoom-Plus's netcode is apparently really broken.

I have over a hundred versions of DoomLegacy installed, about 50 to 80 per directory.

Due to changes to the support files, they are sorted by which support file version they work with.

All versions can access the common wad repository.  It would be really painful if each version had to have the wad files with it, which is why DoomLegacy has support for searching

known wad repositories for the wad files.

I also have PrBoom, Edge, and EternityEngine in separate directories.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:36 AM, Bauul said:

Wow, and to think that I usually keep only the latest version of Classic RBDoom on my PC 

Spoiler

considering I am it's developer

I do the same.  As long as you feel good throughout the day testing versions, why not?

The shotgun sound in ZDOOM 2.4.1 sounds better then 2.8.1 

Edited by vanilla_d00m