Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Ok. Fine with all these megawads. But , whatabout TC/PCs?

I'm hoping to find out about a few new (previously for me unknown) TC/PC's to play, as I find that much more intresting than megawads.

So post away.

Aliens TC
Batman Doom
some other stuff I can't think too well ATM, school lag.

No, screw TCs and PCs, lets talk about single levels or mini episodes. There's many of those, which means that the amount of quality productions is greater. And think about it, on normal maps people have a background to work on, a game they already know, and can concentrate solely on making fine, playable maps, istead of wasting energy on recreating everything, even the cosmetics.

myk said:

No, screw TCs and PCs, lets talk mini episodes.

Sounds good to me! (All of my wads!)

myk said:
No, screw TCs and PCs, lets talk about single levels or mini episodes.

No, screw vanilla doom maps. There is more then enough to satisfy even the most determined doom freak. Lets see more TCs/PCs. here are a few neat little PCs (pardon the plug). Give the Zombies TC a good run. it's a barrel of fun!

May I also point out that not every doom modder is a good mapper. I couldn't make a good doom map if my life depended on it, yet I have become quite adept at making dehacked files. And the doom mod potential, even after 9 years, has still yet to be reached.

screw single level and mini episode wads, lets talk about deathmatch wads.

all the gothic dm wads suck, so do the dm wads i reviewed this week (appearing whenever ling uploads it).

IMO, the best compliation dm wad is dwango6. just about all the levels have awesome replayability.

The paucity of on-topic responses would seem to suggest there aren't many good TCs/PCs and/or that everyone assumes Ebola already knows about them all.

So what are the main TCs/PCs? In addition to ones mentioned earlier, I know of:
STRAIN
Hacx
Herian2
Hell2Pay
Hellraiser
Egyptian Doom
Anubis
...and probably others I can't remember right now.

Oh yes, there is The Sky May Be, of course. :)

I hope I can make a new episode 1 some time next year... in the old style. :)

I've been thinking about doing something like that too, but keep in mind recently it's been done a lot, and with success (CH Retro, 2002ado, Classic Episode, E1 week maps), and there have been good ones in the past too (Fava Beans, Dawn of the Dead, and a few other maps.) So it would have to have something new (in some way), or at least excellent playability.

Ebola- some TCs/PCs that have not been mentioned above-

Guns PC
All the Immoral Conducts
WolfenDooM
ZanZan
Bag o' Blau

Also, I'm releasing Marines of UAC soon(site is below).

kristus said:

weapon mods aren't TC's

It might clarify things if you define TC and PC, so people will be sure what they are being asked to suggest. [What I mean is, please give your definition; I don't think there should be a pointless debate about how these terms ought to be defined.]

Is modified monster/weapon behaviour necessary? Changed graphics/sounds? How many replaced maps? Do you include wads that make extremely extensive use of, e.g., Zdoom-only features? Etc.

Grazza said:

It might clarify things if you define TC and PC, so people will be sure what they are being asked to suggest. [What I mean is, please give your definition; I don't think there should be a pointless debate about how these terms ought to be defined.]

Is modified monster/weapon behaviour necessary? Changed graphics/sounds? How many replaced maps? Do you include wads that make extremely extensive use of, e.g., Zdoom-only features? Etc.

Hmm, interesting. My current wad has lots of new sounds and a few sprites but no new monster sprites (although 2 monsters have been enhanced through dehacked). There are lots of new textures and flats, but these supplement the original textures, rather than covering all parts of all maps (like Dark 7). ZDoom features are used extensively.

Would it be classed as a PC, a mod or an episode?

Ultimate DooMer said:

A zdoom episode.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Given the lack of any real consensus about the first two terms (the thread myk linked to is evidence of this), it's hard to say for sure. Regarding Zdoom features, wads such as Fatal's Doom Resurrection and Trust made such extensive use of them that it seemed to me to make them much more different from normal Doom than many standard "PC"s.

If your episode "feels" like a significantly different game, then I think it is fair to call it a PC, but this would be purely a matter of perception, of course. And maybe it doesn't matter too much how it is labelled either...

TC (PC) refers to theming/storyline aspects, "mods" make gameplay differences. Not to say a conversion isn't a mod in its own way.

My definition is the best one on that thread of course, not to boast or anything, but till I said what I said, pinning the term to Aliens TC and defining conversion separately to start with, the discussion was about what % of the resources or gameplay or whatever should be changed to make it a TC... pretty superficial (encyclopaedic and empirical.)

If your aim is to make another story, instead of adding to DOOM's, you're making a conversion, if you're just adding to it you're not, unless you're giving DOOM a particular theme that is very different from the original (let's say DOOM but in the 17th century for instance, with the Player time-travelling there with his shotgun and pistol, probably most of the monsters doing so as well... something like that) in which case you could call it a "PC" if you want.

Immoral Conduct and the likes are Mod's imo. (also they don't intrest me the sligtest, for several reasons)

Nimrod, Strain and RTC -3057 are PC's since they are still absed on the original.

Aliens TC, Batman Doom, Twilight Warrior and Covert Ops are TC's

Gothic DM is very fun with bots (if you don´t have any friends that still play DooM that is)

Aliens TC is the best TC in my book.

Immoral Conduct is the best mod.

DisneyDooM is a fun PC.

1. The Darkest Hour -- 7-level hub for ZDooM, Star Wars TC
    2. Dawn: A Prelude -- 5-level mission pack for The Darkest Hour(to be released soon)
    3. Temple of the Ancients -- 5-level hub for ZDooM, Q3A PC
    4. Paranoia -- 5-level pack for ZDooM, Half-Life TC
    5. Phoenix Rising -- 5-level pack, Q2 PC
    6. A Hex on You -- 3-level pack, Hexen2 PC
Mostly done within the past 2 years. I'm surprised no one mentioned them. Gotta fire my publicist.

Rex, yeah I've played most of them. Very nice designs but not very gameplay wise appealing. (not to me anyway) :/

Never ehard of Disney doom, but I hate Disney. :p Ok not really. just the cute cuddly stuff.. The Emperors new Groove was kickass. ;) (it was disney, right?)