Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

Well, that's that. He's finally finished up all the wads. For as long as it's taken and as frustrating as it has gotten, it was definitely entertaining to watch the series. Can't wait to see the final results.

Thank you for hosting this contest in the first place, honestly even if you're a outsider to this great big community, I definitely enjoy seeing your take on the game, and getting all these talented mappers to produce wonderful maps. As I said in your chat during the last stream, even if you never do a big doom contest again, I certainly would enjoy seeing more Doom Wad Madness in the future. After a great big rest, of course.

Sorry I made you play my rushed wad Joel. You know the one. The long brown, bloody, one. I only played through it once and beat it in 40min. Honestly I just kind of started making cool looking areas with fun fights and it got out of hand. I have a more complete version here on doom world that has more health and ammo, better lighting and atmosphere, and doors that actually open or say they are locked. But after seeing another human play it I can see that I need to add some teleporters and less backtracking. Hopefully next time I'll have a bit more self control. Also watching the last doom contest is the reason I started watching your streams and it means a lot to me that you do fun community projects like this on your stream.

p.s. that door puzzle at the end was meant to be pressed in order of left to right. It made sense to me because of the sound it makes when you mess up.

this contest got me off my butt to make something cool :) congrats to the mappers, mods, and joel! 

Mapping contest 3 when? Make it for Heretic so that you get like 5 maps Joel ;)

I've actually been waiting for Joel to announce the winner. He did say "announcement in a week" but it's already been 2, maybe 3...

48 minutes ago, Terminus said:

I've actually been waiting for Joel to announce the winner. He did say "announcement in a week" but it's already been 2, maybe 3...

At this point I don't really care. This contest has dragged on for so long that after my wad got played somewhere around part 15 I think I just sort of lost interest.

3 hours ago, SOSU said:

Mapping contest 3 when? Make it for Heretic so that you get like 5 maps Joel ;)

Go for Strife and get like 1 map.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Go for Strife and get like 1 map.

We can go for Hacx and get 0 too :0

Honestly I think Hacx would get more maps. It's much closer to Doom gameplay since at its core it's a Doom TC. And it's also a free download. You don't have to deal with inventory items, NPC conversations, etc. Sure, you can make a Strife map that's pure shooting but even then you still have to handle the very different game balance, such as the extremely inaccurate  weapons (you're supposed to get accuracy upgrade throughout the game so your mercenary stops sucking at ranged combat) and so on.

I'd rank them in the order Chex Quest/Hacx tied, then Heretic, then Hexen, then Strife.

Oh, I completely forgot about this event.

Sorry, but maybe someone see on Joel stream my map (file named "The Burial Vault.wad")? I did not notice it on the videos, available on YouTube. I have not seen this map in the list of files shown before the end of the contest and I am afraid that it was either missed or rejected. If so, why? Or maybe I was badly search it ...

On 3/25/2019 at 10:47 PM, Joelskelethor said:

I'll be announcing the winners in a week as well.

Speaking of this event, weren't we supposed to have the contest finally 'closed' and the winners announced on April 1st? Or was that an April fools joke? :P

Hopefully he announces winners soon, probably on twitter but it would be cool if he posted them on this board as well.

I also did some cleanup and packaged my vargskelethor submission with some extras, the link to the post is here if anyone's interested.
Innyume Doom

Will there be a download of all the submissions in one big RAR file like with the 2016 contest? I've been running through them all periodically on my stream and having a blast checking them all out. I would love to do the same for the 2018 entries and it'd make things A LOT easier than tracking them down individually.

7 hours ago, DeathwingDuck said:

Will there be a download of all the submissions in one big RAR file like with the 2016 contest? I've been running through them all periodically on my stream and having a blast checking them all out. I would love to do the same for the 2018 entries and it'd make things A LOT easier than tracking them down individually.

Lucky you. When i downloaded them (since i was "late to the party") the big RAR file link was dead so i had to DL every wad separately haha! It sucked!

Congrats to all the winners!

I was kind of hoping Dragonfly's wad would win, but it did win a shoutout as the prettiest wad of the contest. Seeing it get recognition is good enough for me :P
Hope that if Joel makes another one of these, it'll be less of a mess and take less than a year to finish.

I'm personally excited to finally have access to all the beautiful wads presented throughout.

This'll be a loooooong backlog...

Editing my post. I don't want it to be taken the wrong way.

Edited by GenoCL

1 hour ago, Terminus said:

I'm personally excited to finally have access to all the beautiful wads presented throughout.

This'll be a loooooong backlog...

I'd still recommend people to play the updated version of mine TBH. The submitted one is very broken.

18 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

I'd still recommend people to play the updated version of mine TBH. The submitted one is very broken.

And you still managed to pull out a first place finish with a broken submission. Congratulations!

With how much Joel loved your map (based on his write-up), imagine if he'd played the updated version?