Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Reverend Julian said:

Don't start an off-topic discussion. If needed, start a new thread in R&P stating your opinion.

Well, I'm kind of reluctant to give my opinion on a seemingly contentious issue, all I know is airmichael was a pretty decent guy albeit the spamms under the name qwerty, which I attribute to frustration more than anything else.

Question: What are the criterias for banning people? I ask this because some of the bans have not been in compliance to the FAQ IMO. If I am whining again, please tell me and I'll hold my peace.

Actually, I banned qwerty because of his spam. The fact AirMichael has been banned seems to be because of an unbelievable showcase of retardness. Of course this could seem a little... week as a reason to ban but he obviously got warned by a moderator and was really hi-jacking a thread.
That's what I have to say on this topic and there's nothing wrong, imo, in asking such a question (and I'm an admin aren't I?).

The mods are frustrated and may overreact a little.

I things the storm will blow over after some time.

About 75% of the affected newbies deserves their fate though.

Though I still think Saviourmike isn't that bad. He is simply a bit too eager in his posting. (I've got a warning about such when I was new too) (even mighty Fredrik has once).

Btw, it is really not good tone on these forums to start "welcome me. I'm new" posts. I know they are a generally observed custom on other forums.

The best way to break the ice is to come with a relevant question or reply of sorts. Still, it's a good idea to "lurk around" (reading threads without posting) a bit to see if someone already posted a thread about your answers.

I was a lurker about a half year before I finally started posting on the forum (save two or three enourmeous post posted under anonymous).

heh, i only lurked the forums (very rarely, at that) for about 2 weeks before i decided to register.

Of course there are certain criteria but the most important thing is the judgement of the super mod or admin involved. We're here because our judgement is generally trusted, if that is found to have become not so then Ling will take action, it isn't really of any concern to the rest of you. I would personally appreciate no more threads like this doomedout, they're a waste of time imo.

Banning Airmichael was a stupid decision in my opinion. He really didn't do that much wrong, did he? I seriously can't remember seeing him posting something offensive or x-rated.

Fredrik said:

I don't think AIRMichael deserved to get banned, he should have gotten a custom title instead.

Hmm, let's see. He signs up with an additional username just for the sake of spamming. Wouldn't you say that such a behaviour deserves a ban? I would.

Though I still think Saviourmike isn't that bad. He is simply a bit too eager in his posting. (I've got a warning about such when I was new too) (even mighty Fredrik has once).

Same story as above. The moron got himself an extra username just to spam like crap.

As I said earlier on: "I don't understand half the things these mods do - no offense, but how come I went from "Member" to "Junior Member". I hardly went ahead and spammed, compare me to some people here that are "Forum Regulars". Junior Member! HA! That's a damn insult."

Edit: I am an idiot... O_o

dsm said:

Hmm, let's see. He signs up with an additional username just for the sake of spamming. Wouldn't you say that such a behaviour deserves a ban? I would.

Same story as above. The moron got himself an extra username just to spam like crap.

He did not register spammermike. It got changed from the other nick name.

dsm said:

I meant in the first place, for defending a retarded standpoint, silly. Of course he deserved to get banned for spamming.

AND YET ANOTHER ID!

Here is what I deleted:

Mr. qwerty,

I just deleted your spam, moved the thread you started to post hell and banned you (it seems to be for the second time). What you did in this specific thread, apart from showing atrocious mental disabilities, is what I consider as trolling, except you're not good at it. Furthermore, as far as I can tell you made completly wrong statements.
I didn't ban you in the first place, but I tell you this: one gets what he deserves.

kthxbye, now go away.

Really, you want to start with me 2 huh? Really, now I am getting so tired of peeps like u who just follow the other people. So you consider this as wrong statements as well:
- The next game isnt unreal 2
- Models in the distance are less polys
- The video card might render 20/30 models which are in full detail 1.4 million polys, but in distance it can be so much less so its all together not more then half a million.

banned for that...

And this argument: "I didn't ban you in the first place, but I tell you this: one gets what he deserves.". So that means the bad people always get what they deserve, and the innocent are always untouched?

I am literally banned cause i said what i thought and nothing more. I started spamming cause i wanted EVERYONE to know what happend before i was made silent again.

Have fun banning people with their own thoughts, I am going now. And I know you people are going to talk behind my back now when i leave. The people who do that are just so low. For the people who DO care of the thoughts of other people, i hope you can have some fun here. Lately it turned all into 1 big mess of people fighting each other, isnt there enough problems in the world? Banning me just fill me with more hate of people like frederik etc,and you really dont know what i am capable of when someone does something like this to me. Is it worth flaming me and banning me for only a discussion about a video card?

Really, you want to start with me 2 huh? Really, now I am getting so tired of peeps like u who just follow the other people.

You don't know me that's for sure.

So you consider this as wrong statements as well:
- The next game isnt unreal 2

I don't care

- Models in the distance are less polys

It depends on the 3D engine, that is the software, to handle level of details.

- The video card might render 20/30 models which are in full detail 1.4 million polys, but in distance it can be so much less so its all together not more then half a million.

Again, LOD depends on software and 1.4million? at what fps. Think for once.

banned for that...

see? I DIDN'T BAN YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE. Now what is this attack against me for that?

And this argument: "I didn't ban you in the first place, but I tell you this: one gets what he deserves.". So that means the bad people always get what they deserve, and the innocent are always untouched?

Jesus christ. You were arguing with both Fredrik and Kat! What wer you expecting? Flowers and candies?
I don't argue with Fredrik and Kat and I know why. Jeez.

I am literally banned cause i said what i thought and nothing more. I started spamming cause i wanted EVERYONE to know what happend before i was made silent again.

Agreed, tho if you had asked me in PM before spamming, I would most likely have unbanned you. But again, you don't know me.

Have fun banning people with their own thoughts, I am going now. And I know you people are going to talk behind my back now when i leave. The people who do that are just so low. For the people who DO care of the thoughts of other people, i hope you can have some fun here. Lately it turned all into 1 big mess of people fighting each other, isnt there enough problems in the world? Banning me just fill me with more hate of people like frederik etc,and you really dont know what i am capable of when someone does something like this to me. Is it worth flaming me and banning me for only a discussion about a video card?

OK, bye.

Some lowlife idiot said:

Really, you want to start with me 2 huh? Really, now I am getting so tired of peeps like u who just follow the other people. So you consider this as wrong statements as well:
[blah, blah, blah]
Is it worth flaming me and banning me for only a discussion about a video card?

Man, you are really pathetic. O_o

By the way, here's the answer to Black Void's question.

Also, how long to bans and Losers generally last?

Ichor said:

You can calculate the time with the formula p - q, where p is the current time and q is the point in time where they got banned/losered. You'll find out that as current time increases, the time of being banned approaches infinity.

Fredrik said:

You can calculate the time with the formula p - q, where p is the current time and q is the point in time where they got banned/losered. You'll find out that as current time increases, the time of being banned approaches infinity.

That is not always the case.

Until the Admins/Webmaster decide to unban/unloser the person.

Meh, the system seems good to me, thou who is incompetent shall be enlightened by teh smite of a lord.
..Besides, Im not complaining, heck, I'm still here, aren't I? :P

..Although I know that can be changed....very quickly, heh. :P

deathz0r said:

heh, i only lurked the forums (very rarely, at that) for about 2 weeks before i decided to register.

Heh, I lurked for 2 years before joining, silly me.

dsm said:

I think it was frustration more than anything else. Shoot me if you will but I actually Feel for the guy. :(
Some of the stuff he said was retarded though, but at some point of the other everybody says something retarded, although I would not be as sutbborn to my point as airmichael was. Agreed, he should have shut up.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Heh, I lurked for 2 years before joining, silly me.

Err, I was a registered lurker for bout 6 months till I got bored one day, and now look where I am. :)

Thank god both of those dipthongs are history, even if they were the same person. Bunch of crybabies. Don't wanna get banned? Don't be a cock'n'balls.
oh and I bet everyone is really scared of what AIRmichael is 'capable' of too.

I never really paid much attention to AIRMicheal, he was just here and he posted rarely. Then, suddenly, he's banned.
Oh well, live and learn. He'll re-register.

Ichor said:

I think he already tried that. Wasn't qwerty the same person?

Amazing this capacity of dw forum lurkers to actually follow an event :P

Amazing this capacity of dw forum lurkers to actually follow an event :P

Well, it's not like somebody posted an att thread in every forum with the big flashy heading: "AIRMICHAEL AND QWERTY ARE THE SAME PERSON!!!"
:-P

Not everyone browses every forum like we Mods do. Back in my lurker days I only visited the Doom 3 forum for instance, so I lost out on a lot of funny things :-P

If someone gets banned and they keep re-signing up under different user names, can't you guys (the mods) ip ban? I thought you occasionally did that? forgive me if i am wrong on that. :)

They can, but IP bans is something only to use very rarely.

The risk of collateral damage (law-abiding users being affected) is quite high.

Many link to these forums from school or library servers and thus share IP with other users.

Most banned users only care to put up 3 to 5 other usernames before they get the message.

There is a very few cases where harsher measures must be taken though.