Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Wolfenstein Youngblood - Official Story Trailer

[yt:] https://youtu.be/SNpgKytPcc4 [/yt]

Hi it’s me, trailer guy again. Seeing the notification I immediately thought of this place lol. Considering that, what are your thoughts? To me it looks a lot like Wolf 2, which is both a good and bad thing. I definelty want to see more gameplay however. 

Edited by BluePineapple72 : Fixed spelling in title

Like Rage 2, Wolfenstein is just the second appetizer before the main course:  Doom Eternal.

I just want more New Order/Old Blood and less New Colossus

This being Coop focus tells me there will be less story breaks and more action which I am all for.

I'm less hyped than I would have been before The New Colossus, but I'm hopeing with co-op in mind it'll push out some of the stuff I personally didn't like about wolf 2.

So apparently the german version will have nazis for the first time, but in the trailer there were still no swastikas.

I hope the next games have music more like this track. It sounds a lot like Wolf 3D music.

7 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I hope the next games have music more like this track. It sounds a lot like Wolf 3D music.

I can see the resemblance! The rhythm reminds me something like P.O.W. (but faster) and Enemy Around the Corner

28 minutes ago, Noiser said:

I can see the resemblance! The rhythm reminds me something like P.O.W. (but faster) and Enemy Around the Corner

Yeah, those really sound like that track. I could totally hear these remade in a new Wolfenstein game. 

I am extremely ambivalent about the reboot series. I remember being super obsessed with it before it came out because how much I loved the style. Stylistically, it is a perfect continuation of Wolfenstein 3D. Lots of goofiness mixed with some seriousness. Plus, BJ looks EXACTLY like he is supposed to.

That said, the levels are really kind of linear, even with all the secrets. There was a hint of alternative routes in the first level of TNO where you could either go guns blazing (very risky) or detonate some bombs to infiltrate the bunker. That is SO Wolfenstein. Why wasn't there more of that? Also, the game has these grandiose set pieces but it always feels like you only get a taste of the level because everything else is locked. In the Old Blood only parts of the castle are explorable and the town level is sadly full of locked doors. In an old school FPS a locked door is a missed opportunity for interesting level design. It all feels like a facade.

It's a great game but I can't get over the feeling that something very important is missing from it. Even the villains don't get too much development for such a story-oriented game. You get to see Deathshead and Frau Engel only twice in their respective games. 

I think this is because of the current trend of shooters. Imagine what an incredible game it would have been if it had been made in the late 90s with the same art style but with design closer to games like Blood and Duke 3D. 

4 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I am extremely ambivalent about the reboot series. I remember being super obsessed with it before it came out because how much I loved the style. Stylistically, it is a perfect continuation of Wolfenstein 3D. Lots of goofiness mixed with some seriousness. Plus, BJ looks EXACTLY like he is supposed to.

That said, the levels are really kind of linear, even with all the secrets. There was a hint of alternative routes in the first level of TNO where you could either go guns blazing (very risky) or detonate some bombs to infiltrate the bunker. That is SO Wolfenstein. Why wasn't there more of that? Also, the game has these grandiose set pieces but it always feels like you only get a taste of the level because everything else is locked. In the Old Blood only parts of the castle are explorable and the town level is sadly full of locked doors. In an old school FPS a locked door is a missed opportunity for interesting level design. It all feels like a facade.

It's a great game but I can't get over the feeling that something very important is missing from it. Even the villains don't get too much development for such a story-oriented game. You get to see Deathshead and Frau Engel only twice in their respective games. 

I think this is because of the current trend of shooters. Imagine what an incredible game it would have been if it had been made in the late 90s with the same art style but with design closer to games like Blood and Duke 3D. 

To be completely honest, I feel the exact same way towards Doom 2016. It felt like a very natural continuation of the Doom aesthetic, yet the levels themselves were pretty much more or less linear (especially towards the tail end of the campaign). I remember thinking, why weren't there more levels like the Foundry or Argent Tower? Plus, especially in levels like Advanced Research Complex, Lazarus Labs, Necropolis, and VEGA Processing, it often felt like I only got a small sliver of the level because there were these massive setpieces yet about 90% of the level had locked doors; it didn't help I was often forced in some arena where I pretty much kill demons until the demonic presence is eliminated, and rinse and repeat for the next area. I'm just hoping that Doom Eternal rectifies this shortcoming, and I'm optimistic it will (based on what I've seen so far).

As for Wolf: Youngblood, I'm feeling a little... mixed, to put it lightly. It seems like I'm in the minority who actually liked The New Colossus, yet I'm not really feeling 100% about this one. Here are a few things I took away from the trailer that really stuck out to me like a sore thumb:

-Given how the choppers that the twins ride in now have FBI and the American flag on them, it's safe to assume that America's liberation from the Nazis has pretty much stuck for the most part. The same has not been said for the rest of the world, unfortunately.

-Grace (from TNC) mentions that according to "her agents", BJ himself left the US under a fake alias about a month before his twin daughters decide to pull a rescue mission. Based on how she looks, it's likely that she's actually now a higher-up working for the reconstructed FBI, or she's possibly even the new FBI director. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the Wyatt timeline, Wyatt himself actually became the US President at one point.

-I really don't know why, but I can't escape the feeling that they may actually try to turn Terror-Billy himself into a bad guy to fight (either through brainwashing or some other means). That one shot of a man in a black exo-suit does not allay my worries, and I really hope that they don't try this (it's likely that it's just some high-ranking Nazi officer who ends up being a thorn in the twins' side). At least, if they do try it, at least have it so his twin daughters successfully snap BJ out of his funk.

-In spite of the whole "THIS IS THE 80S" vibe the trailers are trying to pull off, the actual game doesn't really scream 80s to me, aside from the scenes at the Blazkowiczs' home. I mean, the various Nazi soldiers should already be wielding laser guns and have androids as additional manpower! Granted, the Nazis' technological advancements did start to slow to a crawl after Deathshead's passing, as shown in TNC where the Supersoldaten weren't quite as heavily armored. Plus, it does seem like the Nazi war machine is finally starting to go into its death throes. It may be just the actual gameplay mechanics shown (essentially TNC with some additional co-op mechanics thrown in), but we've yet to really see anything yet.

I'm looking forward to this game as always, but I still have my reservations (especially when it comes to the story).

@Man of Doom

No, Doom 2016 is basically what I expected Wolf to be, especially the first half. I already made a lengthy post about why the second half is more linear and it basically boils down to glory kills. By the end of the first half you have already collected most of the weapons and upgrades and because your source of health and ammo are glory kills, there is no point in putting them in secrets anymore which is why the levels become linear. There's no point in exploration if you don't have anything to put in it.

A perfect new Wolf level would be a city level that you can completely stealth but also go guns blazing. If you choose the stealthy route you get to overhear lots of conversations, do some sabotage, maybe even watch a play. It should have lots of interactivity and  depending on your approach, the next level is completely different and some characters would die or survive. That's what I expected Roswell to be. The level design of that level was literally just an L. In the Asylum level from TNO I really wanted to explore the whole area but the second floor was blocked with overturned furniture...I mean, it was pretty and atmospheric but like in lots of modern shooters (such as Metro) the graphics and artistry are really just masks to hide bad or lazy game design.

I kinda liked TNC but it just amplified the feeling that something is missing. Plus, for a game focused so much on story, the villains get very little character development. I understand that Machine Games want to get the scenes right but seeing Deathshead and Frau Engel only twice is too little. I think 4 or 5 times would have been the sweet spot. In Wolf 3D, gold was not just a "collectible". Once you got enough you got extra lives. They could do that in the new games too. With all the hitscanners in the levels it's really easy to die and that doesn't encourage the player to do cool and interesting stuff during the fights. In addition to upgrades, let the player also buy lives that restore your health once it gets to 0.

A way to give level designers more opportunity for non-linearity is to make collectibles actually useful. Wolf 2009 did this right and I really don't understand why they didn't just make the Nazi gold a currency for upgrading your weapons.

I HOPE they are not making BJ a villain. That would be super lame. The only way I see them doing this is if they sabotage/hack his body.

Edited by DooM_RO