Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedDude

What keys do you use for sr40 and sr50?

Right now I have w set for move forward and s for move backwards. Should I have a and d for strafe right and strafe left for doing strafe running? Also What key should I use for strafe on? Currently I use c.

Whatever feels most comfortable to you. I'm using a WASD configuration, with Space for Use.

I personally never use Strafe On and Autorun, I always unbind them, and use only Run on Left Alt (I never mistake it for the Start button).

56 minutes ago, seed said:

I personally never use Strafe On and Autorun

Doesn't it make things more difficult. With autorun, one can more easily run away and dodge projectiles.

In my case, I have autorun ON and use Left Shift for walk/slow moving.

You don’t need to bind any special keys for sr40, simply running forward/backward and strafing left/right at the same time will get you to that speed naturally. For sr50 I bind the middle mouse click to strafing, the trick is all in making sure you’re aimed at the right spot when you hold down strafe and getting your timing right. I don’t think there’s any other trick to it aside from that. Any key or mouse button can be used for strafe on, iirc.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

You don’t need to bind any special keys for sr40, simply running forward/backward and strafing left/right at the same time will get you to that speed naturally. For sr50 I bind the middle mouse click to strafing, the trick is all in making sure you’re aimed at the right spot when you hold down strafe and getting your timing right. I don’t think there’s any other trick to it aside from that. Any key or mouse button can be used for strafe on, iirc.

That sounds like a good way to do it. I actually haven't really tried to sr50 (i know, i know). I do sr40 quite a bit though as that one is easier. I'll have to try how you have your sr50 set up and see if i like it ;)

I have a different configuration from you. I use tgfh, x to strafe, y to use, u to turn left,  and r to turn right. Those turn keys seem unintuitive, but its easier for me to hit t, h, x, and r to SR50 to the right than it would be to hit t, h, x, and u.

On your configuration, this would be wsad, e to use, r to turn left, q to turn right, and shift to strafe, instead of run.

SR50 is hard to get accustomed to at first, but it'll become second nature soon enough with enough use.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:11 AM, seed said:

I personally never use Strafe On and Autorun, I always unbind them, and use only Run on Left Alt (I never mistake it for the Start button).

Reminds me of the time I tried showing my older brother how to play Doom back in the day - I remember telling him to avoid pressing the key between the shoot and strafe keys, and him saying "what a great place to put that one"

3 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Reminds me of the time I tried showing my older brother how to play Doom back in the day - I remember telling him to avoid pressing the key between the shoot and strafe keys, and him saying "what a great place to put that one"

Heh, know what you mean, but I'm most comfortable with it there. I just don't accidentally press the Start button.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:14 PM, ReaperAA said:

Doesn't it make things more difficult. With autorun, one can more easily run away and dodge projectiles.

In my case, I have autorun ON and use Left Shift for walk/slow moving.

Not for me, only makes descending stairs tedious.

If I want to run, I press the key, and walk the rest of time.

Just now, seed said:

If I want to run, I'll press the key, and walk the rest of time.

In my case, it is the opposite. If I want to move slowly, I press the key. Otherwise I run rest of the time.

Reason I autorun is because it is helpful in situations where the player is required to keep running in order to avoid being surrounded. It is also useful for taking potshots(peekaboo shots) more efficiently as player can move away more quickly. Even dodging faster projectiles (like cyberdemon rockets) is somewhat easier.

I know I shouldn't force u to use autorun. But I highly recommend trying it out. U might find it a bit difficult at first, but once u get used to it, it would become hard to go back. Maybe u might even become a better player that way. Most pro-doomers have autorun turned on.