Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termnus77

zwadconv not converting to Hexen format

Question

Hello folks,

I have a very odd issue with zwadconv. I am trying to convert a number of maps from GZDoom Doom2 format to GZDoom UDMF format. However i seem to be having an issue with converting from Doom 2 format to Hexen format using zwadconv. When I carry out the conversion it completes and the logs show no error but when i open the converted file in GZDB it shows it is still in the Doom 2 format. Can anyone suggest what my issue is? Am i just being dense or do i just need to bite the bullet and try and manually convert the special linedefs?

13 answers to this question

The culprit is the truncated namespace in those maps.

The only tool I know of which can fix this is Deepsea.

Then run through zwadconv.

Correction:

Loading the faulty map into Slade3's map editor and then saving also adds the missing lumps.

Then run through zwadconv.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Works for me ™

I use a batch file to perform the conversion, for example

zwadconv pwad.wad Zdpwad.wad

with all files in the same folder.

After having run the pwad through zwadconv do you get a

BEHAVIOR lump in the converted pwad to indicate that the

pwad is now in Hexen format?

DdkFQlv.png

Alternatively, have GZDBBF do the conversion

Edited by Kappes Buur

I have tried both the batch file and GUI conversions, both 'convert' the file and the log states:

WAD directory starts at 0x13986 and has 6 entries
New wad has 6 entries

However opening it up in GZDB still states it is in Doom 2 format and there is no BEHAVIOR lump.
I know i could convert it in GZDB to Hexen format but that still messes with the special linedefs. For the smaller maps i do not mind rebuilding them as there is only about 40 to change, but there is a larger map with more than 120. I know its possible to convert without having to rebuild everything but I don't think i have seen anyone come across this problem before.

Edited by termnus77

Are you by any chance doing this in some kind of protected directory, namely anything hanging off of Program Files?

If so, move the stuff to another folder and do it from there.

Alternatively, make sure the directory isn't somehow read-only, and that you're running the tools with admin privileges.

Not that I am aware of. It is just sat on my regular C:\ drive in a GZDoom folder. I did try moving it to another drive just to test if something funky was going on there but still the same result and the same convlog entry.

I also made sure to run as admin and the result is still the same. I am very confused as to why this is happening. Any other suggestions?

I'm stumped then. Unless the WAD is accidentally set to read-only, I'm out of ideas, and even then if you're saving it as a new WAD (as you should) the old one being read-only shouldn't really matter.

Sure thing. I'm modifying E1M8 from the Maps of Chaos pack for me and a bunch of friends to use.

E1M8.zip

Edited by termnus77

That's the map pack I am using, yes.
I have run the conversion on the freshly downloaded pack and that seems to have worked. This now raises my next question: why on earth do the copies of maps saved from SLADE not convert?
For example, if i open and save a map using SLADE and then try to convert it, nothing seems to happen. Any ideas as to why?

I assume that there are now BEHAVIOR lumps for each map in the converted pwad.

Load the converted pwad into Slade3 and highlight the map you want

ptOS9v6.png

then doubleclick to open the map in the editor

xUU1zbz.png

and Save Map As to save the map

zT4jsTL.png

Slade3 does not convert from one mapping format to another.

If you want to convert from Hexen format to UDMF that is done best in either GZDB or GZDBBF.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Yes, in the converted pwad there are now those lumps but my query is why maps I saved in Slade3 originally wont convert using zwadconv.
For example, i have a pwad of 4 maps: E1M8, E2M8, E1M12 and E2M10 (the latter being additional secret levels). I created this before trying the fresh download as these are 4 i specifically need to convert. When i ran them through zwadconv, only one map seemed to convert. I notice there are significantly more lumps in your examples so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Capture.PNG.fd7e92d0b3dceb845855714d472b6d53.PNG

I have included the before and after pics. as you can see, only E2M10 has the BEHAVIOR lump.

Edited by termnus77