Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tor1zo

What is the zombieman's gun

So, i was playing normally on my DooM 1 game, until i saw something weird...
The enemy Zombieman, has a weapon that doesnt appear anywhere else in teh game, and they dont drop it when dead, as far as i know it makes a pistol shot sound, but it doesnt look like a pistol at all so, what could this weapon be? it looks like an m16 for me.
So, what do you guys and gals think it is?

469fbc37ede66e7ac21937b761af-zombieman.png

I figured it was just some rifle. The assault rifle in Brutal Doom or the SIG-CAL from the Doom novels could be fair bets. But it's never really explained why Doomguy doesn't take one. It seems better than the pistol in terms of range.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Was the old combat rifle from the Doom Alphas. They simply never updated the sprites when the weapon eventually morphed into the Pistol in the final game.

Wow, i never thought about that, it thought it was some random rifle but that makes perfect sense
now my life is complete...

There needs to be a thread about discovering some type of doom facts we never knew before.

5 hours ago, ChicagoTrash said:

it's never really explained why Doomguy doesn't take one.

If Doomguy has to have a little pea shooter, he ain't gonna be using both hands to fire it. 

The doomguy never grabs an assault rifle because he is worried he won't have room for the 7 other two-handed weapons.

Well, technically he always had one because his sprite holds the same rifle. Maybe he doesn't actually use it because his officer told him rifles are better than pistols and the man is a contrarian.

Basically what Dark Pulse said. I was messing with the Doom Delta mod that adds in a lot of stuff from the Alpha's/Beta and noticed the rifle sprite as well since you can actually use the rifle in that mod. I never really paid much attention to it before or actually gave it much thought as to why they are carrying a rifle and you can't pick it up.

3 minutes ago, boris said:

It always looked similar to a FAMAS to me.

That'd leave me wondering why a futuristic space force on Mars would be using a firearm designed in 1978.

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

That'd leave me wondering why a futuristic space force on Mars would be using a firearm designed in 1978.

Maybe because of the same reason the French are still using it today? Anyway, the gun in the sprite sprite has a FAMAS style handguard, the Doom Alpha rifle doesn't seem to have that.

11 minutes ago, boris said:

Maybe because of the same reason the French are still using it today?

That'd be as ridiculous to them as asking us to use Civil War-era rifles and pistols would be to an army of today. There's a bit of a difference between 40 years ago and 140 years ago. :P

It was named a Sigcow Rifle in the books, used 10mm ammunition that could be used for the standard pistols as well and maybe the AB-10 machine pistol (but I need to double check that).

Since zombie is a dead man who is alive anyway, his weapon must be dead-broken rifle which is shooting anyway, but deals pistol's damage (because it's broken).

5 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

You'd also wonder why a futuristic space force would be using shotguns with wooden pumps and pistols designed in 1972 (apparently the Doom pistol is based off the Beretta 92)

Just now, Programme said:

You'd also wonder why a futuristic space force would be using shotguns with wooden pumps and pistols designed in 1972 (apparently the Doom pistol is based off the Beretta 92)

carmackrift.jpg

8 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Let's not get into why there are chainsaws lying around in space stations, then.

I remember somewhere that a manual tried to say "it's an all-purpose cutting tool"

9 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Let's not get into why there are chainsaws lying around in space stations, then.

Isn't there a joke in Doom 3 about that? One of the logs, wondering why somebody ordered a bunch of chainsaws to a high tech research base on a planet with no trees?

It's been a while since I played it though, I might be misremembering.

I think the specific joke is that a horribly inefficient subcontractor mistakenly sent a large number of chainsaws to Mars in place of jackhammers.

40 minutes ago, VerixDoom said:

I wonder if anyone made a weapon mod with that rifle included.

Brutal doom has it

18 hours ago, Maser said:

Shoots pistol ammo, so I'm going with a Hi-Point Carbine. :D

Doubt it, the Hi-Point Carbine was made in the mid 90s after 94, Doom (and the zombieman sprites) was 1992-93.

My guess it's just a generic 'militarised' AR-15 rifle (funny considering the M16, the actual service rifle variant can fire in bursts, the Zombie AR is only semi-auto, most likely the UAC are using security contractors not actual marines as the manual states, otherwise Zombiemen would be more badarse, and be a bigger threat)

Also Chainsaws IRL can have diamond blades, which are used to cut rock, brick, concrete, etc - this is probably why it's referred to as a "multi-purpose cutting tool" in one of the manuals.

Also I did not know that the Tec-9 (called an AB-10 in book, FC4 and sometimes IRL) was in the crappy Doom novels, interesting (also harsh in hindsight with Columbine)