Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Base Ganymede

I love how there's absolutely no reluctance to pull the trigger. You calmly recognize the situation for what it is and resign yourself to death almost immediately. What absolute devotion and understanding. Stardate really has done a number on you.

That sequence made my day :D.

I am guilty of doing that sometimes as well, doing very poor calculations and firing rockets in one or more of the following circumstances:

- door in closing.

- door is still opening and I hit its base.

- angry mob is too close to me and I take them to the grave with myself.

- trying to peekaboo-shoot with the RL, only to fire strainght into the wall sitting in front of me in the last moment.

1 hour ago, seed said:

- angry mob is too close to me and I take them to the grave with myself.

If only I had read that sooner. 

All of my deaths were rocket induced, two of them due to funky and stupid missteps against a cyberdemon while in E3 I fired a rocket into a camouflaged imp who I'm pretty sure I've hit the rightmost pixels of. Sucks. 

23 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

I love how there's absolutely no reluctance to pull the trigger. You calmly recognize the situation for what it is and resign yourself to death almost immediately. What absolute devotion and understanding. Stardate really has done a number on you.

Haha.  You give me too much credit.  My exact thought process after looking at the gap was "huh, I can rocket jump this" glances at health-bar "those numbers look big..." BOOM!

I died on E1M8 (this map is no joke), E2M5 (stuck in a pit with damaging floor and cacos above my head) and E3M3 (surrounded by enemies) so that's 13 maps survived (14 technically but secret maps doesn't count):

EP2 start at 1:00:17 and EP3 start at 1:33:41. You can also download the demos: bg.rar

Category 2, I apparently played this one before even if I have no memories playing it (it was in my beaten wads folder)

Okay, I'm all wrapped up (in a body bag! two body bags, even!).

Episode 1: Dead on M8. No secret level, thank goodness, though I did dock a few seconds looking for it before realizing I'd probably die here, anyway.

Episode 2: Dead on M4. Was on shaky ground the whole map but this cyber setup had bad news written all over it.

Episode 3: Survived +1. The secret level coming at M6 is convenient. It's not a tricky level and neither is it difficult to find.

dwironman_34_alfnz.zip

19 levels total.

Update to the OP shortly. Also will update the WAD description, honestly. My experience differed quite a bit from prior goes (I had even more fun, actually!) and it's fairly misleading as it's written.

My category is always 2. The runs can't be blind since I have to pick out suitable selections in advance for the League to play, although I did chance the Oscillation pick a couple of years ago (and it turned out to be quite awesome). On one occasion I think I stumbled into a Cat 3. Can't remember the circumstances surrounding that one.

For those curious, I maintain a list of selections. I used to add to that list by guessing the suitability of sets as they arose in my memory, and at the end of each month would load up the WAD I had in mind to briefly peruse the content and confirm that my hunch was right. That list continues to grow, but as of February I've stopped relying on memory and have actively begun playing through an enormous amount of doom content on the archives, ticking or crossing things off as I go and building a more stable pathway.

All this means that by the time I actually play along with the League, ideally I would have last played the WAD selected a good while ago. At the moment it's only a couple of weeks or close to a month — pretty damn familiar. Soon, though, it will be months or close to a year, even. That's where I'd like to be at.

@Alfonzo I have a question regarding death exiting. Apart from mandatory death exits, if someone deliberately(or by chance) do a death exit, would his/her run still be continued for Ironman or would it be the end of the run. I haven't watched seed's E3 demo but I think from the comments, did he do a death exit in E3M2?

Another thing to mention. Seed survived 9 levels, not 8.

11 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@Alfonzo I have a question regarding death exiting. Apart from mandatory death exits, if someone deliberately(or by chance) do a death exit, would his/her run still be continued for Ironman or would it be the end of the run. I haven't watched seed's E3 demo but I think from the comments, did he do a death exit in E3M2?

Another thing to mention. Seed survived 9 levels, not 8.

8 probably because I survived the secret level in E1 but it didn't count since I didn't make it to the end of the episode. They're meaningless unless you survive the whole episode.

Also yes, I did a death exit on E3M2 with 4% health. I see no valid reason for why it wouldn't count.

39 minutes ago, seed said:

8 probably because I survived the secret level in E1 but it didn't count since I didn't make it to the end of the episode. They're meaningless anything if you don't survive the whole episode.

I wasn't counting the secret level. I calculated it like this.

Episode 1: You died at E1M5 (4 maps completed)

Episode 2: You died at E2M5 (4 maps completed)

Episode 3: You died at E3M2 (1 maps completed)

4 + 4 + 1 = 9 levels survived. Had secret level counted, you would have 10 survived maps

Edit: Ignore this ppl

Edited by ReaperAA

7 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I wasn't counting the secret level. I calculated it like this.

Episode 1: You died at E1M5 (4 maps completed)

Episode 2: You died at E2M5 (4 maps completed)

Episode 3: You died at E3M2 (1 maps completed)

4 + 4 + 1 = 9 levels survived. Had secret level counted, you would have 10 survived maps

Fascinating. But I don't remember where exactly I died on Episode 2 honestly. Wasn't that on E2M3 or am I misremembering?

If I'm right, then it would be: E1 - 4 maps. E2 - 2 maps. E3 - 2 maps. Total - 8 maps survived (secret not counting).

@Alfonzo

Just now, seed said:

Fascinating. But I don't remember where exactly I died on Episode 2 honestly. Wasn't that on E2M3 or am I misremembering?

Hmm... I thought u died on E2M5 based on ur reply to Antares on page 1.

On 4/2/2019 at 5:38 PM, seed said:

Hm? So you also died on E2M5? Fascinating, I wonder how.

Just now, ReaperAA said:

Hmm... I thought u died on E2M5 based on ur reply to Antares on page 1.

Must have been a typo or I didn't pay attention to what I said. I don't remember making it to E2M5.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, seed said:

In Episode 2 I was reduced to ashes by a crusher, somewhere. I swear no one can possibly die in more stupid ways than myself.

Well upon re-reading your comments. It does make sense that u probably died on E2M3. I am now completing the wad (using saves now) and I am at E2M6. I didn't see any crusher in E2M5. However do I remember a crusher somewhere in E2M3 (I took some damage from it too during demo recording).

Also does this mean that u continued your run from death exit in E3M2 and died in E3M3? This is something I wanted to ask from Alfonzo whether unintended death exits are allowed (as it is useful to know for certain cases like Plutonia's map17).

45 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Well upon re-reading your comments. It does make sense that u probably died on E2M3. I am now completing the wad (using saves now) and I am at E2M6. I didn't see any crusher in E2M5. However do I remember a crusher somewhere in E2M3 (I took some damage from it too during demo recording).

Also does this mean that u continued your run from death exit in E3M2 and died in E3M3? This is something I wanted to ask from Alfonzo whether unintended death exits are allowed (as it is useful to know for certain cases like Plutonia's map17).

Yes, I slided into the teleporter at the end of E3M2. It must have counted since I get 8 maps completed with it, 9 if counting the secret level on E1. No reason why it wouldn't considering there's plenty of record demos done by professional players who use this technique or more advanced variations of it, such as sliding under doors, to reach the exit beyond.

"Death is the price of victory."

I had like 30% health on the map I died in E2, which was most likely E2M3. I could have simply checked the demo and see for myself instead of spamming the thread but, I wasn't at home.

Hmm... so is it my build of gzdoom or are the map orders completely out of wack for this wad? I finished e2m1, some how ended up in e2m9, then e2m6... I'm confused. I checked the wad to see if there was a (Z)mapinfo and Nothing. anyone else getting this on the latest svn builds? tried it on zandronum and apparently the e1m4 exit took me to e1m5 instead of e1m9 like my last stream... I'm confused why my map order is all screwy with Doom 1, had No issues up untill this point.

Edit: I updated my svn build again, I seem to have fixed it. Please DNF my episode 1 run as that bug with the secret level loop shouldn't have happened. I'll try episode 2 / 3 at a later time. I can't seem to Complete Ultimate Doom in 1 sitting anymore Dx

Edited by Fiendzy : Problem solved.

@Fiendzy I do like your videos and it's great to have you as a regular; I just want to make sure you're aware of the recent rules update that prohibits any additional WADs being loaded on top of what's specified in the OP — usually just the map set itself. It used to be that cosmetic changes only were allowed, but that required me to inspect runs more closely and it had the potential to be inconclusive, and it was always time-consuming. You might have noticed but not minded since I continue to put your runs up in the OP for others to look at, or maybe because there technically isn't any reason to stick to the rules precisely unless you're interested in the yearly leader boards or competing for top spot (though I may make seasons more meaningful in future. Watch this space!).

It looks like there's at least one pretty significant gameplay change in the mod you're using, here, anyway, I think. Those cacodemon fireballs traveling darn fast. Maybe not too big a deal by itself but I'm hesitant even to list it in the OP list as an "illegal" run if it's this far removed, all up. Of course, I'm more than happy for these runs to be posted in the first place! Just using these threads as an opportunity to pick something and challenge yourself with an audience is cool stuff, if that's what you're doing.

I hope you're not dissuaded by all this. Glad to see you got that weird map order problem sorted.

Ah, I'll start doing it vanilla from now on lol I just thought the score system was nice to mix things up

Haha, I was delicately talking around it but it turns out it was that simple! Super stuff.

You can do the other two episodes in prboom or Doom strict compat in GZDoom or whatever, I'll smack it up there.

sounds good

Edit: Welp I tried episode 2, finished a few levels, and died on e3m1? I was playing a bit to recklessly. also my Colourblind simulator thingy was enabled here. 

Edited by Fiendzy : Video added

Dead on m8, did not risk the secret map as did not expect to survive this.  Blind run.

Will crack on with e2 in a bit

Time for your monthly dose of deaths to be put in the glorious I need to get bitchslapped by X folder!

E1: Died on M5.  Was doing so well, then I thought "Ok, get something to hit the mastermind, hit the switch behind it, then make a break for it with cells to my name".  Pretty much a textbook "GJ ANIMA!" moment if there ever was one.

E2: Died on M2.  Rough M1 plus me being a smartpants lead to a run right into death's cold embrace...or a pack of imps, that works too.

E3:  Died on M6.

*Warps with 21 health left and no armor*

Singular Lost Soul: "SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!"

Was laughing too hard to be mad at that one.

DWIronman_BGComplete_AnimaZero.zip

EDIT: @Alfonzo Sorry to announce this, but my E1 wasn't my first try so just disqualify my run please and I'll redeem myself next month with the next IRONMAN. Sorry about that.

Edited by Bob9001

E2 run (cat 1)

Playthrough finishes at 1:05, but accidentally left it streaming while I went to do some other doom related gaming.  Made it to m6, so that brings my completed map count up to 12 (+e2 secret map)