Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadesMaster

Community Project - Switcheretic

Interesting idea, I had in mind to do the same thing, trying to remake E2M1 from Heretic in doom style and I think NaZa was working (and then left) a pair of maps remaking E1M1 and E2M1, at the time he used the Doomlover234 moniker in this forum...

But there's some things I don't get it in this project:

• Why there's not a heretic iwad counterpart to work with? You know, the main aim of these kind of projects is to switching between maps, in this case maps from Heretic and Doom... In original switcheroom projects this wasn't the problem because it works only with the maps from the doom and Doom 2 iwad, but in this case it needs both.
  • Why there's not a secret map slot for the other 2 episode to work on? And why there's not a episode 4?
  • I know this sounds weird, but... why just limiting this to zdoom ports and not making, if not strictly vanilla, a limit-removing project? Sure, there's new enemies to work with instead of the limited rooster of ultimate doom monsters, but I think the same thing will be done using Dehacked monsters and unused things, or just modifying existing monsters...

Anyway, good luck with the project! 

I'm up for doing an E1M2 mashup, but it's going to have to be in a format other than UDFM since my level editor of choice doesn't support it.

Good point Walter; I'm ultimately keeping it as a DOOM wad (hehe, see what I did there?) since that's more popular, I guess. And NiGHTMARE that's fine, any format that can utilize the resources is, really! I've added you and Duke to the rooster; there's no deadline yet for this project but considering Switcheroom 2 is still a few months away, AND that's far closer to being completed... I would say the overall deadline is the end of the summer for now, while people who initially take maps should have a little something in two weeks, alot of something in a month. :D

I'm interested in contributing. But first, is the resource wad supposed to give me 90 error messages upon loading it into GZDB, or am I doing this wrong?

thatsalotofwarnings.PNG

Well, I use regular old DB2 to map, so it's something I haven't experienced. Perhaps it's not fully compatable with the latest GZdoom, either, since my version isn't the latest, but I'm not sure if that ties into to GZDB. If GZDB does look at the exact version of GZdoom you use, though, than that could be a thing.

Edited by ShadesMaster

I loaded the resource file in DBX and GZDB but only got error messages in GZDB. Also I tested in ZDoom, GZDoom, and Eternity UDMF which all had errors but once only in GZDB.

A question:

Who should I choose as the final bosses of Episode 1?

From the resource pack, of course. Should they be Barons, Terminator or someone else? Or is this solely my choice?

Your choice, though it WOULD be fun to change it up. Perhaps arachnotrons and a mastermind, or the Overlord.

One thing's for sure, though - Barons are still used the EARLIEST in E1M8, and if not the boss, not until episode 2. Hell Knights and Imp Lords are totally ok in episode 1, as are Lost Souls in the 2nd half of E1.

The resource pack will be getting updates for compatability fixes soon... eventually... so stay tuned!

Pretty cool project you there Shades!
But in my opinion the new enemies should be reskins of Heretic ones since this is Doom 1 and Heretic themed and not "Doom 1 custom edition" themed xD
Also i might join but i am not that sure for now,i will try to start a map and if everything goes well i'll claim it :)

I see what yoy're saying. A Nofestru looks like a wizard disciple but with a sargesnt's head...imagine D'sparil riding the mastermind's legs! Or a were-demon! Or an undead warrevenant! Or a cyber maulotaur!

Will there be switched version of the fourth episode?

Case in point, I have names for the levels:

E4M1: Catafalque beneath.

E4M2: Perfect blockhouse.

E4M3: Sever the ambulatorium.

E4M4: Unruly sepulcher.

E4M5: The great will repent.

E4M6: Against thee Apostate.

E4M7: And perdition followed.

E4M8: Unto the bridge.

E4M9: Mausoleum of fear.

Also this project would be more faithful to other Switcherooms if the format will be limit removing. Just my opinion, we can get used to resource pack stuff too.

It very well can! I started with just the three because it will be a minute before it's close to completed! And I like these names, those will be the final ones.

I wonder if we should do episode 5, based off SIGIL + Heretic level names....

6 hours ago, ShadesMaster said:

If SIGIL ever comes out that is.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, ShadesMaster said:

It very well can! I started with just the three because it will be a minute before it's close to completed! And I like these names, those will be the final ones.

Or, probably, we can base the fifth episode of No Rest For the Living.

Some screenshots of classic version (I will revamp the map in UDMF format and add new monsters, items and guns).

That's only the first version.

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203635.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203718.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203751.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203800.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203811.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203822.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203827.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190405_203840.png

Yes! YES!!!! This is exactly what I had in mind! Vanilla is cool, but the resource pack adds to ish imo! This is the perfect ending to episode 1 and for an early version, a great start.

That's the eventual plan - I'm only starting with episodes 1 - 3 to encourage ppl to start with, well, those first. Once enough maps have been started, I'll extend it. But no one's stopping anyone from converting an E4 or 5 Heretic map if they so desire to do that first. :D

Oh, and DukeOfDoom - you may not be aware, but the Heretic explod-ey pod is actually in the resource pack. :D Not the respawning version, though!

Are you going to respect the Heretic level/gaming progression? For example, I really liked that it held back on giving you all the weapons in the first episode, unlike Doom. I positively hate in Doom 2 that you get 3 weapons in the first level of the entire 32-level game (chainsaw, shotgun and rocket launcher). I honestly think that the development team should challenge themselves to NOT include the rocket launcher or the plasma gun in the first episode at all. Bonus points if (with the rare exception) you also only put the BFG in secret areas, just like the Mace in Heretic.

Also, remember to make enemies exclusive in to some of the episodes as well. The Heretic equivalent of the Cacodemon (Weredragon) and the Demon (Sabreclaw) weren't introduced until episode 2, and then a rapid-firing enemy such as the Anachrotron can be used as an episode 3 equivalent to the Ophidian. Heretic also made you always pick up the keys in exactly the same order (yellow, green, then blue), so will you also be doing that?

The BFG really shouldn't be considered to be the equivalent of the firemace; the only thing they have in common is the slot. It's a rapid fire weapon that's great for stunlocking or crowdcontrol; and it can one-shot normal enemies when powered up. It doesn't really have any real equivalent in Doom -- it's a projectile chaingun but not precise. Powered up mode can be thought to be close to the SSG, I guess.

In fact I'd be tempted to use the flamethrower from ZDCMP2 as its Doom equivalent.

1 hour ago, maulosiarch said:

Are you going to respect the Heretic level/gaming progression? For example, I really liked that it held back on giving you all the weapons in the first episode, unlike Doom. I positively hate in Doom 2 that you get 3 weapons in the first level of the entire 32-level game (chainsaw, shotgun and rocket launcher). I honestly think that the development team should challenge themselves to NOT include the rocket launcher or the plasma gun in the first episode at all. Bonus points if (with the rare exception) you also only put the BFG in secret areas, just like the Mace in Heretic.

Also, remember to make enemies exclusive in to some of the episodes as well. The Heretic equivalent of the Cacodemon (Weredragon) and the Demon (Sabreclaw) weren't introduced until episode 2, and then a rapid-firing enemy such as the Anachrotron can be used as an episode 3 equivalent to the Ophidian. Heretic also made you always pick up the keys in exactly the same order (yellow, green, then blue), so will you also be doing that?

So, should the enemies of the first episode consist of mostly zombies, imps and lost souls/fleshspawns rather than demons? And what about spectres?