Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyVader1138

Funniest Thing You've Seen in Doom

We've all had a moment where something unexpected happens while we play. Something that just makes us laugh.

So tell me, ignoring joke WADs, what the funniest thing you've seen in Doom?

For me, it just happened and inspired this topic:

I am playing though Knee Deep for the millionth time, going through E1M5. I just got the first key and the secret rocket launcher and was moving towards the door to continue with the level. A shotgun guy had just entered through the door and tried to shoot me. Instead, he gibbed himself by a nearby barrel. It was hilarious.

For me it's a tie between an Arch-Vile launching an enemy up into the air or when I shoot a barrel next to a teleporter and the barrel teleports and kills what's on the other side. 

Oh yeah, and I also love when I kill an enemy on a high platform and the dead body falls. 

1 hour ago, Maser said:

an Arch-Vile launching an enemy up into the air

At 7:18. That poor imp in the air 😂

Just now, LadyVader1138 said:

How? How does it fly like that?

Arch-Vile got angry at him and gave him a "treat"

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Arch-Vile got angry at him and gave him a "treat"

I mean, I've never seen an enemy fly like that before. I mean, the Imp goes UP from ground level.

31 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I mean, I've never seen an enemy fly like that before. I mean, the Imp goes UP from ground level.

I am not sure, but shouldn't Archvile's attack be able to lift an enemy like that? After all, its attack can lift players too.

OR maybe it could because he is using GZdoom.

I love it when a low tier monster pisses off a Hell Knight or Baron and then they get turned into a goo pile. Just hearing the gib sound alone makes me smile.

Whenever you kill something next to stairs and it's corpse slides allllll the way down. It happens so infrequently for me that I keep forgetting it's a thing that can happen and I bust up laughing every time.

one map I made has a combat space where invariably a revenant and chaingunner would start fighting, and the fight would always end in the revenant punching the chaingunner off a ledge.

Anytime I see a pissed-off Imp gib a Zombieman. It's pretty damn rare, but it is possible - the Imp has to roll high on fireball damage, and the Zombieman has to be nearly dead.

Whenever I see an arachnotron and hell knight infight, I can't help but think of a childrens play version of the mastermind/cyberdemon fight from gotcha!

Also I was rewatching evolution of the wad the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw a revenant punch out a mastermind at one point too. Had to do a double take cause I didn't believe it when I first saw it haha.

Once saw a Zombieman kill a Cyberdemon who had 1 shot of health remaining.

I witnessed this glitch few years ago, it was funny as hell. Instead of barons, revenants punched each other to death after barrel accidentally exploded.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:23 PM, Komenja said:

Whenever you kill something next to stairs and it's corpse slides allllll the way down. It happens so infrequently for me that I keep forgetting it's a thing that can happen and I bust up laughing every time.

... or when it slowly slides all the way up.

I always find it funny

• when a chaingunner starts irritating other monsters(especially the imps, revenants and the other chaingunners) with his constant chaingun firing
  • when a revenant kills an imp with a single punch
  • when two or more revenants gang up on one enemy & crazily start punching that enemy until the enemy dies
  • when a demon is killed by cyberdemon's rocket
  • when many number of enemis start infighting with each other, sometimes completely ignoring the doomguy

23 hours ago, AD009 ZA001 said:

When a revenant kills an imp with a single punch

Hahaha I think that this is the best one. The punch sound combinanted with the instant kill is so funny, like calm down.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:00 PM, AD009 ZA001 said:

when a demon is killed by cyberdemon's rocket

CHOMP! .... Gotcha back Cybie menace!

Screenshot_Doom_20190411_134050.png

I love to watch infighting of any kind.  In fact, I love it so much, that I try to set it up (within tasteful reason of course) as often as I can in most of the maps I design.  I'll often do it subtly so that if a player spots the opportunity for it he can save ammo, but I also do it for its pure entertainment value.

That said, one of my absolute favorite infights is any of them which involve the revenant.  The way he'll turn from you and start punching the daylights out of the monster that accidentally hit him, it's just hilarious to watch.  Of these, I love to see the revenant go at it with the hell knight.  They're fairly evenly matched, and it's usually a tossup who'll win between the two.  Whenever I see the two in an area, I do my best to get them to fighting.

Beyond that, I just love it when infights start.  When they do, I try to move out of the area so I can just listen to it.  The cries of demon pain, the scratching, the revenant cobbering, the pinkies biting... it's all just glorious.  Gets me to laughing, or at least snickering most every time.

There was a moment in eviternity rc where a cyb got infighting with other monsters and then got stuck and the monsters started to get their revenge, it was an amusing sight and i took a shot of it

Screenshot_Doom_20181212_215502.png

But what i consider the funniest thing in doom is this glitch in the old versions of doom where monsters would commit suicide if they exploded a barrel and injured themselves

Speaking of infighting, here is a map I made a long time ago just to watch infighting.  I would use god mode and run around watching them fight.  I made it before I had Internet, so Doom was single-player-only for me then.  It is also playable without cheating.  The name of the map is You Gotta Be Kidding!  Despite the file date, it was made in the late 90s.  Here it is: kidding.zip

A more modern UDMF version with coop starts, skill levels, and scripting is in Empyrion as EMP32.