Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
2009XboxLiveKid

Project Inccident Map 02 finished

Planning on making a mega wad full of maps, and this is my first two maps ive mad thus far. anyone care to give them a go? criticism is much endorsed too please!

Feedback is much appreciated

any zdoom launcher is required

snap1.PNG

snap2.PNG

snap3.PNG

snap4.PNG

Project Inccident.zip

Edited by MetalDoomGuy

Just now, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

We can't try them out if we can't download the wad.

Also knowing the intended port would be nice (judging from the screenshots it's ZDoom 2.8.1 at least).

I posted this late at night, didn't even realize I didn't post the wad

MAP01

I want to point out the SUPPORT3 texture used as a flat in the first room. I think that should be the CEIL5_2 flat, which will match SUPPORT3.

The layout is small, and while it uses a corridor to separate a room, it uses its corridors as more than just bridges from one room to the next, which is good.

Personally, I'm not a fan of shotgunner traps of any kind (because I don't like shotgunners), but the trap in the crate room is far from unwelcome.

However, it seems that one of the hell knights is tagged to execute script 1, which doesn't exist (looking in Slade shows me the SCRIPTS text is empty). This isn't game breaking, but it is odd.

The gameplay relies on the single shotgun, but it's not done in a way that makes it feel grindy because nearly all the monsters are imps and zombies which usually go down in one hit, so that's done well, in my opinion.

There's a HOM in one of the secrets:

Screenshot_Doom_20190409_080508.png

Caused by a missing middle texture, it looks like.

The aesthetic is simple, which is fine, And it's clear effort went into the areas the player visits.

The last corridor is a bit weird for me. It's done well enough as a corridor can be, but I feel the ambush should be a little more intense, with maybe a closet at the end opening, putting monsters ahead of the player and behind him.

MAP02

This one could be better, in my opinion.

Largely, it's large corridors joined together with not very much to do in them.

I like that one of the secrets enables you to see an area ahead that you won't for a little while. Being able to see future areas of the map ahead of time is good, in my opinion.

The combat feels rather lacklustre, here, even playing from pistol start. It's just there, if that makes any sense. It doesn't feel like it has any real place, there isn't much challenge or surprise to any of the fighting, most of it comes from straight ahead. I feel more monsters coming from more directions, appearing in areas you've already been when you backtrack, and the like would do much good for this map.

The nukage room is nice, but I think it'd be better if there was no radsuit and instead more hex tiles forming a slightly coherent path, enough to walk on safely, but not so many that the nukage is essentially no threat.

Also, a minor mistexturing:

Screenshot_Doom_20190409_080840.png

This map is pretty big for how few monsters are in it. I understand wanting to ease the player in, but I'd also suggest populating the map with monsters a bit more, so the halls don't feel so empty.

Also, I would suggest adding a shotgun at the beginning for pistol starters (like myself), and some zombiemen or imps to fight in the main corridor.

I feel the main corridor would do well with some crates in it, scattered around somewhat, but not too restrictive on the player or monsters, so monsters can be hidden behind crates to jump out at the player as they pass, and little things hidden among the crates as little rewards for exploring.

I do have to admit, the maps weren't very challenging and most ambushes where very predictable. On the other hand though, I have to admit that I did have fun with the maps and I don't know why, but I enjoyed the room with the radiation goo in it visually quite a bit.

I also uploaded a playthrough of it, fo rmore thoughts and reactions :)