Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedDude

What is the best Doom map making program?

I have heard many people say the prefer their mapping software for Doom. What is the most common one or the one that is used the most?

The current and updated ones are GZDoom Builder Bugfix (GZDB-BF) and Doom Builder X. These are probably what you want to use.

There is also old GZDoom Builder (GZDB) and Doom Builder 2, as well as SLADE and other lesser used editors like DeepSea and Eureka, but I know nothing of those.

I myself prefer GZDB because I haven't a need for the latest and greatest yet. I even still use Doom Builder 2 for certain things.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

lesser used editors like DeepSea and Eureka

The former, I don't know; but the latter maybe was meant to be used with Linux/Mac. (Keep in mind that there are very few Doom editors for Linux/Mac.)

Oblige (jk)

Back in the 90s, I used Doom Cad and liked it, but then I got Doom Builder and wow, it was so much better.  Lagging behind, I updated to the each new version (DB2, GZDB) years after most people did, but I am now using GZDBBF.

10 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

The former, I don't know; but the latter maybe was meant to be used with Linux/Mac. (Keep in mind that there are very few Doom editors for Linux/Mac.)

DeepSea is an older editing program. I used it a bit many years ago--I didn't know it was still around, although I have seen some mappers talk about it. I don't know if anyone is actively using it.

You are correct that there are very few editors that run natively in Mac OS, with Slade, Eureka, and WadC being the most prominent. I've never used Slade for mapping, so I can't really comment on it. There are some people that swear by Slade and others who will tell you it is a buggy mess. I've never done anything with WadC other than look at the page on Doomworld. I have used Eureka.

Eureka is cross-platform, but it wasn't originally written to run on a Mac. It was based on the Yadex source code, which was derived from DEU, and was originally for use with Windows and Linux, from what I know about it. It was soon compiled to run with a Mac. Unfortunately, andrewj has decided to stop developing Eureka (except for major bugfixes), so it is what it is. Eureka doesn't have all the flexibility of the Doom Builder family and can't do UDMF, but I personally think it's a pretty good mapping program, particularly if you want something that runs natively on a Mac.

Doomcad because it was fun and buggy. I cannot use it now so that title now goes to GzDoom Builder.

I use Slade3 map editor, pretty solid editor tbh. It only struggles when you're doing some fancy UDMF/3d floors/slope stuff, but for anything else it's good and easy to use.

This thread made me try Doom Builder X. It crashes on me pretty consistently. Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

Is it worth trying GZDB out if I don't care at all about GZDoom?

1 hour ago, Kore said:

This thread made me try Doom Builder X. It crashes on me pretty consistently. Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

Is it worth trying GZDB out if I don't care at all about GZDoom?

Yes.  Many of GZDB's features are great for Boom and Vanilla mapping, too.  However, I suspect that if DBX crashes on you, GZDB might crash, too.  I have never used DBX myself, but I suspect that crashing consistently is not normal.

I used to use WadAuthor in the olden days, surprisingly it still holds its own even against the Doom Builder family. If it had a proper 3D mode I’m sure it would still get regular use today. Still not bad for a program from ~1998 though!

In this era, Doom Builder variants simply have the most to offer to a mapper.

I'm fine with Doom Builder 2. It's very straightforward. Also, I can't get used to GZDBuilder, I think it's too much for me... I don't even know how to change the layout to brightness mode. I guess I'm just dumb. lol

However, if you don't care about GZDoom specifics, Doom Builder X is probably the best one. As it seems, it's a more polished and stable version of DB2, but also with a nice list of features. I have to try it someday.

Edited by Noiser

The best map editing program is the one you learn to use, and use well.

--Philosophical Nitwit

Off topic and i don't mean to derail this thread but if i do want to learn how to use a map builder such as Doom Builder, i know that the first Doom Builder has a full documentation written by John Anderson, but does that documentation still apply to the newer ones as well? I'm not sure if DB1 even works on newer OS's...

I've never used an editor/builder (anything tbh), nor do i know jack all about nodes and sectors and what not. But it seems like anyone can make maps nowadays so i figured why can't i at least try? I'd definitely rather learn a little more first though before i just jump right in. Maybe plan stuff out, learn about monster placement, sectors, node builders, ect first. At least try to hope that it turns out a little less than a '94 map like most first maps do haha!

3 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Off topic and i don't mean to derail this thread but if i do want to learn how to use a map builder such as Doom Builder, i know that the first Doom Builder has a full documentation written by John Anderson, but does that documentation still apply to the newer ones as well? I'm not sure if DB1 even works on newer OS's...

Well, most of documentation should still apply on newer builder versions. You still need draw sectors, apply tags and actions on the lines. Also vanilla and boom didn't change much through these years, so for first time mappers it's suggested to use those two formats. Grab doom builder x and start learn. Ask questions, read more tutorials on forum and have fun ;)

I never could get used to GZDoom Builder, since it changed everything up. At least in the original Doom Builder, I know how to make normal teleports and doors, and basic stuff like that. But I'd prefer Doom Builder, for simplicity sake.

I use GZDB currently, though I only map for vanilla / limit removing.  Automap mode and sound propagation mode made the switch from DB2 worth it for me.

e: wrong thread.

For the record. currently using GZDB-BF. Tried using DBX-alpha for the Lua, but I guess I'm not for the constant crashes of an alpha release.