Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nWADDEN

Why does the chainsaw lag while moving in vanilla Doom?

Whenever you equip the chainsaw in vanilla Doom whenever you move the weapon bob animation lags. Why?

Most likely it has to do with it being the only weapon that is animated when not firing.
I always thought it looked really cool. Made it look hard to wield or something.

It is because it doesn't call A_WeaponReady each tic. This function is responsible for the bobbing. So when the weapon got an animation the programmers simply forgot to give it a proper animation state sequence that calls it more often.

The Unmaker from Doom 64 also suffers from this even though there's no animated parts in the idle state.

13 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

The Unmaker from Doom 64 also suffers from this even though there's no animated parts in the idle state.

So that's why its bobbing was not smooth. That always bothered me when running in D64 so I would simply switch the weapon to something else.

I could ignore this in PC classic Doom's because

17 hours ago, Kore said:

Made it look hard to wield or something.

But it was out of place in the case of the Unmaker imo.

I always wondered this. The fan explanation could be nice, if it wasn't for the fact a chainsaw is more unwieldy than a BFG.

I have always thought that it was due technological limitations back in the day, to save memory... The sprite is pretty big and is animated. It's pretty weird if it's only an oversight.