Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Community Chest 64

31 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Please tell me it's a secret map.

oh so when you asked "how does it look" you were talking about the titlepic? I thought you were talking about the secret map that crashes when it's finished (map32). And yes the screenshot from before was from map32 and is the one that crashes. I think it's because there are no instructions in the mapinfo telling the game what to do after map32 is finished, though I don't know how to fix this.

EDIT: And yea the problem with the pic is merely that its way too large. I don't think simply resizing it will work because it would just look blurry and pixelated.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

7 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I think it's because there are no instructions in the mapinfo telling the game what to do after map32 is finished, though I don't know how to fix this.

Have you tried defining a new cluster and make only that map use it? Here's the one used for the Final map of Doom 64 just for reference:

Spoiler

cluster 6
{
    pic = "FINAL"
    music = "MUSFINAL"
    pic_x = 0
    pic_y = 0
    scrolltextend
    exittext =    "Finally...",
            "The mother of all demons",
            "is dead!",
            "",
            "The blood pours from",
            "your eyes as you stand",
            "in defiance.",
            "",
            "As the only marine to",
            "endure the slaughter-",
            "you decide to remain",
            "in Hell and ensure no",
            "demon ever rises again.",
            "",
            "The End."
}

13 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Have you tried defining a new cluster and make only that map use it? Here's the one used for the Final map of Doom 64 just for reference:

Hide contents

cluster 6
{
    pic = "FINAL"
    music = "MUSFINAL"
    pic_x = 0
    pic_y = 0
    scrolltextend
    exittext =    "Finally...",
            "The mother of all demons",
            "is dead!",
            "",
            "The blood pours from",
            "your eyes as you stand",
            "in defiance.",
            "",
            "As the only marine to",
            "endure the slaughter-",
            "you decide to remain",
            "in Hell and ensure no",
            "demon ever rises again.",
            "",
            "The End."
}

I don't think cluster definitions are the problem. In the example that you just posted the "scrolltextend" causes the game to end followed by playing the death animations for all the monsters. As far as I can tell on the wiki clusters are just used inform the game when to play intermissions and when the game should officially end. The problem is that I can't find any way to make it so that when the secret levels are finished the game goes back to the earlier levels so that normal game progression can resume. I don't see any information on the wiki on how this could be done unless I missed something.

I am also still waiting for a reply from @Kore on which map was the original map03 because I don't remember anymore. This matters because according to the OP post map03 leads to the secret maps. All the maps I downloaded are now in a big bowl of soup in one of my folders and in the actual wad itself they have been re-ordered so I don't remember which map was the original map03. In hindsight I should have organized things better :/

I was assigned the secret map slot arbitrarily, and Nevander asked for it so I didn't do anything with a secret exit and the OP forgot to update it, but I believe Nevander never delivered. So I don't think there's any map that leads to a secret map.
If it was up to me there would be no secret map slot anyway.

Replace TITLE with this

TITLE.png

There doesn't seem to be a way to specify a next map, It seems dependant on the order, and if there's no secret exits then I don't think you can make them secret maps.

1 minute ago, Kore said:

I was assigned the secret map slot arbitrarily, and Nevander asked for it so I didn't do anything with a secret exit and the OP forgot to update it, but I believe Nevander never delivered. So I don't think there's any map that leads to a secret map.
If it was up to me there would be no secret map slot anyway.

Replace TITLE with this

TITLE.png

Well that changes everything. To save ourselves (well me mostly) a massive headache I suggest we just scrap the idea of secret maps and just have all the maps play in a linear sequence. It's not like we have a choice seeing as there doesn't even appear to be any map that leads to the secret maps anyway if what you are saying is correct.

1 minute ago, Bob9001 said:

Use the start of the thread for the map order.

That doesn't make sense because there would be no thematic consistency and the difficulty curve would be out of whack. Plus I am NOT going to reorder all the maps after spending so many hours on this now that I am literally 10 min away from finishing this up. And it would not solve anything anyway for the reasons mentioned above. I am going to just make the maps play in a liner way.

12 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

is the wad compiled and playable?

Yes. You can download the full finished version over at the release thread.

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

Yes. The project is already released.

I see. Maybe there will be another Doom 64 project where I can try.

50 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

I see. Maybe there will be another Doom 64 project where I can try.

You can always release a standalone map too.

Well yes I support that, we needed 12 maps but due to the time that passed 20 is good enough.

Hey guys. I was the original project owner, if anyone still remembers. I am so, so sorry for not being responsible enough or having enough time to handle a project of this size. I thought I would be able to do it, but alas, I was unable. 

I would like to thank everyone who took up the torch and managed this project without me. Thank you, really. I'm so sorry I wasn't good enough. I hope that you all would be able to forgive me, in time. 

I am very happy to see that the project ultimately was released. I will take some small amount of solace in the fact that I, at the very least, managed to get it up and running. Even still, I am sorry that I was unable to see it through. I don't see any way I can truly pay reparations for this irresponsibility, but if possible, I would like to.

4 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

Hey guys. I was the original project owner, if anyone still remembers. I am so, so sorry for not being responsible enough or having enough time to handle a project of this size. I thought I would be able to do it, but alas, I was unable. 

I would like to thank everyone who took up the torch and managed this project without me. Thank you, really. I'm so sorry I wasn't good enough. I hope that you all would be able to forgive me, in time. 

I am very happy to see that the project ultimately was released. I will take some small amount of solace in the fact that I, at the very least, managed to get it up and running. Even still, I am sorry that I was unable to see it through. I don't see any way I can truly pay reparations for this irresponsibility, but if possible, I would like to.

You're algood mate, we thought something happened to you. But good to see you back and viewing the finished project.

Don't sweat it, you did more than enough to get this started. The community just finished it. :)

Level 7 - Hell Base: where is the blue key?

You need all 3 keys to unlock a tricolored barrier. Red and yellow key can be found easily. Watched a Let's Play on Youtube and the guy just cheated to get the blue key after he wandered arround aimlessly for a way too long time, just like me.

i did thats how i found this forum. i never knew this existed till i saw doom 64 ce was being worked on

I stopped playing this more than a year ago because nobody could tell me how to get the blue key in level 7. Even PMed the author, but no reply.

I would happily pick this up again because so far it was really good.

6 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

I stopped playing this more than a year ago because nobody could tell me how to get the blue key in level 7. Even PMed the author, but no reply.

I would happily pick this up again because so far it was really good.

well, you can always open the map in doom builder 64 and see where the key is or how to get it

or you can just noclip

Hello everyone! I am posting this plan of action in case anyone objects or would like to help out. @styd051 and I are planning to port this collection to Nightdive's official remaster and the Nintendo 64. Here's what we're planning:

• First @styd051 will port the maps to the Remaster. Which sometimes requires changing how switches are set-up, sometimes widening sectors to fit the enemy sizes, and debugging macros.
  • Second, I will port @styd051's work to the N64, which sometimes requires fixing macros, and additional "no occlusion" flags.

Here's some additional things were hoping to do:

• Fixing bugs which can softlock the player and other potential progression bugs
  • Adding a brief storyline (akin to the size of the original Doom 64's storyline)
  • Adding a few additional maps from the community to make it a fuller set.

Let me know what you think!