Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLesha

First WAD ever made on mobile?

It seems that I just made the first WAD ever made on mobile phone. (I mean that I downloaded an ExaGear emulator, then installed a Wauthor editor and launched it).

So tell me your thoughts about it. Does mobile mapping have future?

I will attach a WAD that I made on my way home (It is for Doom 2)

Mobile.zip

(Yes, I know, the map is really crappy, but I  made it in, like, 20 minutes)

Also please forgive my bad English.

I just came up with the idea that you can actually connect a mouse to a phone for better mapping experience.

i tried it and i feel like the map is too easy,a berzerk pack at the start is OP as F** i literally killed everything in the level by the end the berzerk stopped working! also infighting is a funny goof, the Baron attacks the mancubus as soon as i open the door the baron shoots the Mancubus which allows me to just sit back and watch the Mancubus and baron go at it, (killing the others in the process) and then one shot the winner, (usually the Mancubis) and continue to exit. 

(rule of thumb tho, if you don't want infighting put enemies which are less likely to do it with others.)

(two of the same or one that is easily stronger then the others)

Edited by Thedoctor989

13 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

the berzerk stopped working

Berserk lasts for the rest of the map, or until you die, whichever is first.

I didn't see any berserk pack but I still killed everything with the BFG incluiding the IOS.

Mobile mapping isn't really going to happen unless someone makes a good mobile map editor. Doing that with a touch interface is possible, but it won't be easy. And itd need to stand up to DBX/GZDBBF basically being the gold standards, so stuff like lacking a good preview mode or support of various functionality will also seriously limit its appeal.

It'd be interesting to see someone rise to the challenge though. 

Funny enough, Fellowzdoomer (a long departed heel of the community) used to make little bite sized maps on his mobile phone back in 2014. It would be interesting to se a wad made entirely of mobile phone maps, sadly there wouldn’t really be any way to confirm it, but I still think it’s an interesting idea with a potential future if a program with a half decent UI ever comes along.

13 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Funny enough, Fellowzdoomer (a long departed heel of the community) used to make little bite sized maps on his mobile phone back in 2014. It would be interesting to se a wad made entirely of mobile phone maps, sadly there wouldn’t really be any way to confirm it, but I still think it’s an interesting idea with a potential future if a program with a half decent UI ever comes along.

Well, a good enough mobile map editor would create a level that wouldn't even be detectable as having been made with it, in whole or in part, unless the author points it out. That's how I feel, anyway. :)

1 hour ago, Thedoctor989 said:

Actually I think I might give it a try! What the hell? Sleep is for the weak!

What, coding up an Android/iOS map editor?

You madman.

Definitely going to need some extra work since you'll want to build nodes and rejects too.

Oh god! An iOS mapping tool? Yes, please! I am sitting hours in the subway sometimes and would love to be productive in that time. Using a laptop is kinda awkward, especially in a full train, but mapping on my phone, hell yes!

Yes, I am also addicted.

Yeah, not to derail the topic too much, but I wish there was a zdoom, or gzdoom port for android, that didn't cost money.

i don't think a mobile port is possible, at least for touch, it would need to be attached to a external mouse or something similar! otherwise the space you see for mapping would be Crowded to Hell and back (pun intended)

Edited by Thedoctor989

25 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

anyone got in mind what editor they want? i think Wad Author would be a good one

Doom Builder X and/or GZDoom Builder Bugfix are the gold standards on PC. Anything without a 3D preview mode is arguably dead in the water.

WadAuthor would drive me nuts due to lack of line draw controls. Not to mention it's not open-source.

well i guess this is another Mobile What if's! i guess until a Better programmer then me steps in the way above seems like a good start, (if you have the nerve to deal with the Wad author limitations 

IDEA'S FOR IT

the only way i think to do a 3d preview would probably need to borrow some coding from Beloko's port and try a "test mode"

If you wanted to do some Xwe or slade like editing you probably would need a 2nd application to do that

and also if we do decide to use Beloko's port we would need some approval and maybe source code

For what it's worth I started something like that a couple years ago to look into Typescript. Of course nothing really came from it :D It was able to load and display maps in a browser though, with zooming and panning. It's the code is heavily inspired by DB2, and it's a mess.

https://github.com/biwa/deotg/

It'd be great to see mobile wads in this case.  The good news is that with the paid Delta Touch app, you still could make wads for the PC and download it to your Android phone and move the wad to the correct file folder.

The only real way you can really make maps is if you had stylus support for that pinpoint precision drawing as if drawing artwork. That will help mobile map creation immensely as your fingertip is too blunt and wide for precision sector drawing anyway.