Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Favorite Cartoons or Piece of Animation

Any animation enthusiasts on here? I've always been enthralled with animation, and at one point, considered making it into a career (I do have a friend going for it). I'm talking the classic shorts from the early 20th century, I'm talking modern classics, I'm talking obscure MTV shorts that only aired once. Anything goes (even anime if that's your cup of tea).

I'll start: My favorite TV-animation is as follows: Spongebob (pretty much everything pre-movie is gold), Invader Zim (cancelled too soon), Ren and Stimpy (mainly for the sometimes surreal visuals), Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Cowboy Bebop. I'm also a pretty big fan of Jamie Hewlett and his work on the Gorillaz music videos. More recently me and a few friends saw Spider-verse and that shit was pretty tight.

Spiderman - Into the Spiderverse was actually quite amazing. And I am not even a superhero fan.

Speaking of Animation, I was a big fan of "Gravity Falls" and was very dissapointed, that it was so short lived. "Hilda" managed to fill that gap a bit, but it's quite different.

Kid of the 80s and 90s (straddled both pretty much evenly), so I not only grew up watching animated stuff, I also got to see the Golden Ave of Anime, and can fondly remember when the accepted term for it was Japanimation.

So it meant I got to see classics like this.

We've come a long way, baby. Although damn do I miss that art style.

As of right now I'm finishing up My little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (Kinda lost interest by season 6 but I decided to just ride the train to the end). A good show with a rather large fandom.

Littlest Pet Shop (2012) ended a couple years back which puts a slight sour taste into my mouth as season 4 really ended on a low note for me. Shame as the show could've really benefited from a season 5.

Though as for most fav I'm watching right now? That would be Steven Universe! :D 5 Great and fun seasons and a movie is coming out this autumn! (Fall for anyone in USA) Not only that but Season 6 will follow suit and it may or may not be the last season. >w>

Rock And Rule, because it was one of those first animated movies, which used computer generated effects in the 80's. 
The Land Before Time - one of those childhood series about dinosaurs, which I remember with nostalgic and sadness. 
The Wall isn't animated movie, but those animated sequences blew my mind when I was younger and more naive.

Fritz the Cat, mainly because of it's Rebellious idea's and new concept's which were deemed "Apalling" to the people of that time, and today it paved the way for free expression animations, as well as promoting freedom of speech (which we have problem's clarifying now)

44 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

Fritz the Cat, mainly because of it's Rebellious idea's and new concept's which were deemed "Apalling" to the people of that time, and today it paved the way for free expression animations, as well as promoting freedom of speech (which we have problem's clarifying now)

For those who've never seen it, this would be a good indication of the sort of content to expect. Remember - this is the 1970s we're talking here (specifically, 1972).

Lots of great submissions here, guys. And I do agree, Ralph Bakshi's work paved the way for more adult oriented cartoons and pushed the art form forward. Though I've never seen any of his works in entirety. I also wanted to mention double king. Another great work of art.

Too many to count AAAAA D:
Right now i'm just watching animoo but one show i have grown to love in recent times wich is Xavier renegade angel :D

It's a weird and obscure adult swim show from 2007 which is just so crazy i love it!! (It also gives me ps2 vibes <3) 

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

As of right now I'm finishing up My little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (Kinda lost interest by season 6 but I decided to just ride the train to the end).

Wait Your big horse is over?! It feels like it's been going on for forever xD

Quite a lot of old cartoons I see, many of which I haven't heard of, so mine would probably be the odd ones I guess, heh. But it's also good to see certain shows I have only ever watched as a kid and never revisited later in life mentioned, particularly Space Ghost. I only have various sequences and random scenes left in my mind, but truthfully I've been considering watching the show again recently.

My favorite cartoons (which originate mostly from my childhood) are going to be KND, Samurai Jack, Duck Dodgers, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory (mixed feelings about the final seasons, after Tartakovsky left), Justice League, Batman Beyond, X-Men (1992), Spider-Man (1994), Teen Titans, Young Justice, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Batman: The Animated Series, Inspector Gadget, The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo (funny, this one was canceled, but the fact that it's one of the only in the series to actually portray real monsters as opposed to costumed criminals is what made me love it. Also Vincent Van Ghoul), The Secret Files of the Spy Dogs, Regular Show, The Tick, Space Squad, Life with Louie, The Flintstones, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The Powerpuff Girls, Camp Lazlo, Chowder, The Kids from Room 402, Ben 10: Alien Force, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow & Chicken, and probably more I can't remember right now.

Sure, maybe not everything is stellar, I know that, but doesn't necessarily have to. If I found it enjoyable, it was good IMO.

51218138_1282197348571633_19952099247322

(My father can repair anything, especially if it still works.)

My favorite cartoons are Ed Edd n Eddy, Kids Next Door and My life as a Teenage Robot.

Heres my fav piece if animation

My faves from childhood where Real Ghostbusters, Jonny Quest, and Batman TAS, among others. Sometimes I go back and binge something that was on the air when I was a kid just to see if it holds up or not.

Know which show I expected to be a total cringefest, and ended up enjoying the hell out of? Jem and the Holograms.

Jem and the Fucking Holograms.

I mentioned this in another thread earlier this week, but it surprised the hell out of me that I actually kind of love this show. Totally expected it to be unwatchable girly tripe about love triangles and eighties feelgood music. Didn't expect the complex plotlines, the car chases, the ten-times-per-episode brushes with death the girls have with collapsing bridges, runaway cars, burning buildings, BOMBS PLANTED BY MOBSTERS. Didn't expect the father's day episode to rip my goddamn heart out. Didn't expect to laugh like an idiot when the Misfits fucked up several dozen vacations at a ski resort, or went on a joyride in Jem's car indoors during a lavish party. Didn't expect the dialogue or visuals to occasionally crack me up.

Least of all did I expect the music to, on some occasions, be awesome (and this coming from a guy who hates musicals). Each episode has three musical numbers accompanied by mini-music videos, which are the highlight of the show (I imagine this goes double for any little girls who had the cassette tapes the dolls came with, 'cos all those songs got featured on an episode or two). I'll post two music videos that i absolutely love from this show below.

Spoiler

"Are You Feeling Alright?" centers on Stingers keyboardist Minx, who suddenly has a change of heart and stops being a narcissistic twat. This disturbs her bandmates Riot and Rapture, since not being a total asshole is completely out of character for any of the band members.

More importantly, it's funky as hell.

"Love Sick" pops up during a story where the Misfits' leader, Pizzazz, gets desperately infatuated with rival band leader Riot, whose bandmate torments the living shit out of her by tricking her into dressing like a fool, taking bogus love potions, and any other cruel trick for a laugh at her expense.

I love the ending of the video. Gives me chills.

I have to give this show credit: it probably IS the best cartoon for girls of the 80s. Maybe even the 90s, too. It certainly blows Sailor Moon out of the water.

Fun fact: the creator of Marvel Comics character Lobo was also a producer and writer on Jem and the Holograms, and wrote two of the best episodes: Intrigue at the Indie 500, and Father's Day.

Edited by Impie

On 4/16/2019 at 11:02 PM, Egg Boy said:

I'll start: My favorite TV-animation is as follows: Spongebob (pretty much everything pre-movie is gold), Invader Zim (cancelled too soon), Ren and Stimpy (mainly for the sometimes surreal visuals), Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Cowboy Bebop. I'm also a pretty big fan of Jamie Hewlett and his work on the Gorillaz music videos. More recently me and a few friends saw Spider-verse and that shit was pretty tight.

I used to watch so much Spongebob, it wasn't even funny. So i totally agree that all of the older ones are gold. I especially like the hand-drawn animation in the 1st season. When i was younger, my younger sister would always watch Spongebob and it was new in '99 when i was 9 yrs old so i started watching it to and loved it. Invader Zim was neat too. I was into Pokemon (not so much the show though, more the GB games/cards), Spongebob, classic cartoons (used to have a 6hr VHS with old 40's/50's/60's Cartoons like Superman, Pink Panther, Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Scooby-Doo ect.

When i was older i loved watching South Park (i still prefer the older ones). The Simpsons (i actually grew up watching that so i should of listed it earlier). I do like Space Ghost Coast to Coast as i remember seeing a few episodes on TV and i have the first season on DVD. Ren + Stimpy is always great. Beavis and Butthead is awesome though imo. The early 90's Batman cartoon, i loved that one. Haven't seen it since i was in kindergarten/1st grade though.

Some more animation that i really like:

- Danger Mouse - Not an American show but i found an old VHS at a flee market and really fell in love with this show when i was younger. Then found the whole series on Netflix later.

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force (the earlier ones especially)

- Red Vs. Blue (technically Machinima) - I have seasons 1-10 on DVD with 10 on Blu-Ray. I remember when this was new and all the rage. Blood Gulch Chronicles anyone? ;)

- The Rugrats - I used to love this show as a kid. Still a great show imo, i'd show it my kids if i had any ;)

- The original Transformers - One of my older cousins got me into this (he grew up in the 80's/90's). He had transferred all of his separate tapes to (i forgot how many) 6 hr tapes and gave them to me some years ago so technically i have every episode on VHS. Obsolete now due to the DVD seasons of course.

As you can see i haven't watched alot of Japanese animation. DBZ and the original Dragon Ball (a little Pokemon when i was younger) is probably all i've seen.

TL;DR - just read the bold stuff

16 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Danger Mouse

I found this show insufferably dull, but love its spinoff, Count Duckula.

30 minutes ago, Impie said:

I found this show insufferably dull, but love its spinoff, Count Duckula.

Haha! That's one of the episodes i specifically remember (as well as a few other odd ones)! I didn't know it had a spinoff...i'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, CyberDreams said:

Haha! That's one of the episodes i specifically remember (as well as a few other odd ones)! I didn't know it had a spinoff...i'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah Duckula was a spinoff series from Danger Mouse if I remember right. It had a lot of funny skits.

23 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

I also wanted to mention double king. Another great work of art.

Double King! Anything made by Felix Colgrave is very cool

Looney Tunes

Beast Wars (It was called Beasties here in Canada)

Wallace & Gromit

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Spongebob Squarepants

Rocko's Modern Life
Futurama

Samurai Champloo

Cowboy Bebop

Gravity Falls

22 hours ago, MFG38 said:

The intro of Xenogears.

That's a game that needed more FMVs.

Anyways, if you count webcomics as cartoons, I am getting into Rain. I almost never watch cartoons or anime on TV or online anyways.

I watch old seasons of the Simpsons and laugh my ass off. Recently, been watching Big Mouth. My parents worked in animation in the 80s and 90s and worked on a ton of (mostly kids) cartoons. Babar, The Raccoons, Rupert, Spicy City, etc.