Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsareppsun

PLEASE, No more floating weaponry......

Playing N64's GoldenEye, made me start thinking about what we may see in D3. FLOATING WEAPONS!! ARRGG!!! I hope id would just find a way to simplify the polycon shapes on all their weapons so it wouldn't be so demanding on the engine. So after you kill a human enemy with a rifle or any kind of weapon, it would fall, clatter and slide on the floor a lay flat on the ground, and not float and spin around like any of the quake series. In GoldenEye, the AK's and HK's and grenades and even Ammo Magazines all lay flat on the ground.

And with that, imagine an unarmed zombie aproaching you from down a hallway. But between you and the approaching zombie lies a handgun on the floor. The zombie spots the gun, stops, bends down and picks it up and examine it as if it's trying to remember what it is. Looks back at you, throws you a ugly sneer and point the gun at you at starts poping caps. I hope we'll see errie moments like this in D3.

Thoughts anyone?

I agree. I also disliked UTs system where weapons would mysteriously float "on display" smack dab on top of the dead body. Falling and clattering would be great. I second Ling's statement. I'll see his hat and raise in a sombrero. With catsup.

As long as we don't see rotating weapons floating one foot above the floor.

Do the weapons have the same phsyics-system as the demons have?
If so, then the weapons should fall to the floor in a realistic way till someone comes around to pick them up, if I'm right. I think we won't see any weapons in Doom III that can escape gravity in a mysterious way.

When you kill a chaingun commando in the alpha, his chaingun will fall with him and lie on the ground. No floating or spinning. Of course, that doesn't prove anything, as the weapon isn't yet pick-up-able, but it induces hope :)

Linguica said:

If Doom 3 has floating, spinning weapons I'll eat my hat.

bon appetite ;)

uniQ said:

bon appetite ;)

If Doom 3 has floating weapons, I'll eat UniQ and AndrewB ;-)

I remember from watching the e3 vid thatthe weapons lay flat on the ground, and any of you who have played the alpha KNOW this is the case.

Besides, they did this in RTCW, why the hell not doom3?

Linguica said:

If Doom 3 has floating, spinning weapons I'll eat my hat.

Clever bet as you probably don't have one.

i really would like 2 see a weapon from a zombie, that you can pick up fall from a stair and maby even able to fire itself cuz the trigger hits some object. that would be cool..

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

I remember from watching the e3 vid thatthe weapons lay flat on the ground, and any of you who have played the alpha KNOW this is the case.

Where in the e3 vid did we see pick-up-able weapons? I know you can spawn stuff like that in the alpha, but the only thing I saw dropped in the levels were little ammo boxes from the commando dudes.

I doubt we will see floating weapons in Doom3, as it would detract from the visual realism.

Actually, there weren't any floating or rotating weapons in Doom or Doom 2. All that started with Quake. I doubt that they will continue with this trend and go back to what it was back in Doom instead.

That's not true at all. When the chaingun guys die in the alpha, you can pick up their ammo. It's machinegun ammo. Which is why I'm going to be very amused if there's no chaingun in Doom 3. :P

Katarhyne said:

That's not true at all. When the chaingun guys die in the alpha, you can pick up their ammo.

I didn't notice that.

Guys, according to the Doom III Legacy movie footage, there ARE floating weapons as of now in Doom III. This may be changed, but as of now, there are 3D, floating, spinning weapons waiting to be picked up. Starting at 0:16 in the Doom III Legacy movie, you will see one of the tentacle "I smell fear" guys standing there. Look above him and to the right in the background. There is a floating spinning 3D weapon. It looks like the grenade launcher from Quake II, albeit much more detailed. Now this could be placeholder art, but why would they take the time to rotate it and to up the graphics on it?

No way, that's a gun. I'm talking about the last 1-2 second clip before the Doom III logo falls down, and right after the big word "Chaos" appears. I'm also talking about up on the crosswalk above and behind the guy. Watch it for the full two or three seconds. In the last second you will see it finishing its rotation and you can easily see the handle, barrel, and all that. Spinning just like a floating weapon in Quake.

Kain067 said:

No way, that's a gun. I'm talking about the last 1-2 second clip before the Doom III logo falls down, and right after the big word "Chaos" appears. I'm also talking about up on the crosswalk above and behind the guy. Watch it for the full two or three seconds. In the last second you will see it finishing its rotation and you can easily see the handle, barrel, and all that. Spinning just like a floating weapon in Quake.

Yes. That is a radar.

LOL :D

Yes, that´s a radar obviously. And I´ m 100% sure we won´t see floating weapons in Doom3 (maybe in MP maps, but not in the Singleplayer game).

BigBadGangsta said:

Shaviro is right.

My god...what have we done...What Have We Done!?!?!?!?! :P

But in the all seriousnessnessesses Floating weapons would be kinda corny, like me. It'd might degrade the scare factor when you have a gun floating above the gound rotating.

Kain067 said:

Guys, according to the Doom III Legacy movie footage, there ARE floating weapons as of now in Doom III. This may be changed, but as of now, there are 3D, floating, spinning weapons waiting to be picked up. Starting at 0:16 in the Doom III Legacy movie, you will see one of the tentacle "I smell fear" guys standing there. Look above him and to the right in the background. There is a floating spinning 3D weapon. It looks like the grenade launcher from Quake II, albeit much more detailed. Now this could be placeholder art, but why would they take the time to rotate it and to up the graphics on it?

You can barely see that thing anyway, so how can you tell whether it has a handle and a barrel?