Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

TNT 2: Devilution (Final beta released)

6 hours ago, Chalibluefin said:

Can't help but agree, Visually, Eviternity is a near masterpiece, but its gameplay really lacked flow and inspiration. What I liked from playing TNT: Revilution was that it's combat felt like something from the original TNT, despite its modern enemy placement and style.(No hitscanners in the wide open like Mount Bullshit) That's what I am hoping for with TNT2: Devilution. A flow similar to that of the classic TNT, but with modern polish and gameplay design. As much as I liked habitat, I know everyone else thought it was a pile of crap. 

I agree with this. But stop for a second and remember that if TNT never had these 'issues' and was actually a good wad people wouldn't feel like they had to make another 'TNT' to make up for it.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that this is the wad that TNT SHOULD'VE been.

7 hours ago, Chalibluefin said:

Visually, Eviternity is a near masterpiece, but its gameplay really lacked flow and inspiration.

Disagreed. The flow in Eviternity was very good in most maps (except for a few ones like map 19).

But then again, I am not asking for TNT 2 to be like Eviternity. TNT 2 should be like the better levels of the original TNT + modern polish imho.

6 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

I agree with this. But stop for a second and remember that if TNT never had these 'issues' and was actually a good wad people wouldn't feel like they had to make another 'TNT' to make up for it.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that this is the wad that TNT SHOULD'VE been.

That's a fair point, as the gameplay quirks with TNT were certainly the LOWEST parts of TNT. Nobody wants a remake of Administration Center or Mount Pain. At least...not without it's problems fixed.

My biggest issue with TNT: Revilution is that alot of it's map design did away with the wide openness that the original TNT had. It plays a bit closer to Plutonia. While TNTR is certainly a good wad ,and the wide open level design of the original TNT had it's problems, with a little polish and proper enemy arrangement(no fucking chaingunners sniping you from the other end of the map), this open map style could've been much more fun and challenging for the player. I would like to see TNT2 keep the aspect of TNTs wide open areas while also making them fun to play. 

I hear you, but In my opinion the wide open maps were a new concept at the time and gave the player some sort of feeling like they were not stuffed into a box like the rest of doom 2 wads and could actually breathe.

As I'm glad to hear this project is alive again, I've once again complied all the MIDIs that didn't end up on Revilution just to make sure you have them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lLfYnlYTEHasgumWOuXePhngcyzS4RwV

Spoiler

devilution.zip 23kb, 14 files

2093 AD

in TNT to kill

TeNeT

TermiNaTed

The Noose Tightens

Till Next Time

TNT'd love

Tokyo Nuclear Test

ToNighT - you

TourNamenT

TraNsiTion

TreNchanT

TyphoN ex Tartaros

TyraNt's Tomb

I hope there aren't still issues like last time, for example with other MIDI sequencing programs messing with default settings like pitch bend range.

Edited by Bucket

Nice to see Devilution is still alive. Cant believe it was so long ago that I got involved in it as a lowly tester, which lead ultimately to helping run Revilution, and also being handpicked for official work on Terraria's 1.3 and 1.3.1 updates by Relogic. I owe a lot of notable moments in my life to Devilution in a funny roundabout way. I'll be playing Devilution one day, and am oddly more excited about playing it, than playing the finished Revilution (Understandable though, not much of the original Revilution vision remained in the final release)

On 3/4/2019 at 1:36 AM, Marcaek said:

Convilution was just a set of the rejected Revilution maps, IDK if it is even a serious project or just a Revilution team injoke, you'd have to ask them. We don't have any involvement with a Convilution project here.

Convilution was a serious thing, after the drama that lead to Revilution, we wanted to feature every map somewhere, regardless of whether it was 'shit' or not; everyone has different tastes afterall. The name was an obvious pun on the convolution with all the TNT names and all the intersecting between projects; most of the maps in Convilution would have been in both Devilution AND Revilution at one point.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:07 AM, Uni said:

I'm pretty sure Convilution was simply a compilation of all the maps that were rejected from Revilution but instead of letting them vanish and never to be seen again, they were simply compiled into a mapset so that people could enjoy and see what other maps were submitted to the project but never made it into the final cut. 

This is pretty correct. Although since the project change hands in my forced absence, Convilution as far as I know was killed and all those maps are still unreleased. If its still out there being held onto, maybe once Devilution is done, remnants of it can be added to it from both sides, just so noones months work is wasted on someones drive.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:45 AM, Eris Falling said:

The thing is he later disappeared without adequate warning, leaving me and eventually Jaws in Space (mostly Jaws) to pick up the pieces and we had to scrap a fair few maps ourselves (the rejects going to what would have been Convilution). Revilution is probably closer to what TNT2 was before the split than TNT2 itself is now, but still quite different.

From what I remember, Kyka got into a relationship, had less and less time, and was very depressed about his work constantly not being good enough for modern tastes. When Megamur and I got plucked off for different things, I get the feeling he just..gave up. TNT2 as a whole was something he really believed in and loved, even if his views on what TNT was, was different to others. I miss the guy, was super nice and very passionate about what he made. I have a demo of his Mea Culpa lying around thats very advanced compared to the public demo, from what I could play, it had very similar horror stuff to what I envisioned for Revilution's second episode (the two fragments of it that remained, were notably the parts of Revilution that gets the most praise)

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Convilution was a serious thing, after the drama that lead to Revilution, we wanted to feature every map somewhere, regardless of whether it was 'shit' or not; everyone has different tastes afterall. The name was an obvious pun on the convolution with all the TNT names and all the intersecting between projects; most of the maps in Convilution would have been in both Devilution AND Revilution at one point.

I remember seeing "Europa" in the old Revilution development thread and was disappointed that it wasn't included in Convilution.

3 hours ago, Devalaous said:

...Convilution as far as I know was killed and all those maps are still unreleased. If its still out there being held onto, maybe once Devilution is done, remnants of it can be added to it from both sides, just so noones months work is wasted on someones drive...

Convilution is currently on hold waiting for the release of Devilution. Once I find out what maps were rejected from Devilution I will make a compilation of all the maps rejected from both Revilution & Devilution. I last worked on Convilution on October 1, 2018. At that time I compiled all of the Revilution rejects with the Devilution rejects that Alter had given me, along with combining both texture packs into one. So really all that is left to do to finish Convilution is to add the rejected Devilution maps, I won't do this until a few months after the release of Devilution though. This is what the project map list currently looks like.

DocRgP3W0AA3p5S.jpg:large

In addition to the maps above there are an additional 11 maps that I am aware of that have been rejected from Devilution that could end up in Convilution as well, depending on whether they have been taken elsewhere or not.

1 hour ago, Chalibluefin said:

I remember seeing "Europa" in the old Revilution development thread and was disappointed that it wasn't included in Convilution.

I came back to Europa quite awhile after Revilution was released & finished the map based off of feedback that it got during the DWMC playthrough. It will not be released as part of Convilutioon though as I gave it it SteveD to use in a project that he is developing.

It's good to see Convilution is still going to be a thing, and will wrap up the whole Devilution/Revilution duo. I always wanted to try the infamous Dreadmill by Kyka. 

1 hour ago, Jaws In Space said:

I came back to Europa quite awhile after Revilution was released & finished the map based off of feedback that it got during the DWMC playthrough. It will not be released as part of Convilutioon though as I gave it it SteveD to use in a project that he is developing.

If you get the chance link me to that project thread.

12 hours ago, Chalibluefin said:

It's good to see Convilution is still going to be a thing, and will wrap up the whole Devilution/Revilution duo. I always wanted to try the infamous Dreadmill by Kyka. 

If you get the chance link me to that project thread.

Yeah I too like the look of that map "Dreadmill" Sounds like a good map.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

1. is this still gonna be sky1?

TNT2sky1.png.f2b539ebc194cac55fe6ac6a3a54db9e.png

2. is this still the hud?

TNT2_hudfinal1.png.59789d8e5fab37589db6d9ec01f798e2.png

3. is this still the intermission pic?

TNT2_interpic.png.158f43023d4596e9117a9ff4b20a8a58.png

4. will the opening level start at the end of Last Call and have you walking into the IOS's opening mouth while 'War Starts Here' by PaulZee, (from the original 2009 demo) plays?

This is a rather interesting project here. It'll be interesting to see this actually *out* there into the wild so that we can play it. I always had a soft spot for TNT, and I'm glad it's getting a sequel, similar to Plutonia. I'll be keeping my eyes propped open for this.

19 hours ago, StalkerZHS said:

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

yes, yes, no, and kind of

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, Bob9001 said:

if TNT never had these 'issues' and was actually a good wad people wouldn't feel like they had to make another 'TNT' to make up for it.

Just as long as they make a decent level to make up for Habitat.  

Habitat II - The Habitatening

How's this coming along, haven't heard anything for a month now, still wanting to test this wad...

I can confirm that progress is happening. Not going to say anything beyond that, please wait patiently for it to be done!

I'm definitely waiting, loved similar TNT-style project like Threnody and this is pretty darn promising.

If it's going to be at least on par with it, we have a deal.

Technically we were going to post a screenshot yesterday, but then put it off until after thingplacing was done. So that means one more map finished!

Maybe I shall consider contributing a new map for this but only if nothing has been heard about MAP13 or MAP26 for quite some time. Looks like MAP30 is complete. Hopefully 13 and 26 are fine.

8 hours ago, pcorf said:

Maybe I shall consider contributing a new map for this but only if nothing has been heard about MAP13 or MAP26 for quite some time. Looks like MAP30 is complete. Hopefully 13 and 26 are fine.

No need. All map slots are decided internally and i was literally talking about map13 in the above post.

One question, and nobody probably will spoil this; but are any of the maps like long and hard?

Not like Map 20 or 21 of TNT but similarities just good maps that are long in gameplay.

It doesn't really spoil anything to confirm that yes, we have some longer maps in the set.

41 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

It doesn't really spoil anything to confirm that yes, we have some longer maps in the set.

Ah, my excitement builds. I'm VERY happy to hear that.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Marcaek said:

No need. All map slots are decided internally and i was literally talking about map13 in the above post.

Nice one!

10 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Just a heads up, map13 is now complete and we're down to basically one and a half maps. More updates hopefully soon.

*Screams internally*