Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
inkoalawetrust

GZDoom won't play custom WADs

So since last night i've tried to get GZDoom to play several custom WADs that i made with Oblige but none of them work.

When i try just opening one of the the generated WADs with Doom1.wad on the same directory i get this while when i attempt to open the custom WAD without Doom1 in the GZDoom directory too i get this instead.

If it isn't already obvious i have no real experience with anything Doom and/or modding related.

15 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Doom1.wad is the shareware IWAD, source ports will not load PWADs (your generated Oblige levels) with the shareware version. You require a registered version of Doom to play custom levels, which you can purchase from either GOG or Steam, or you can use Freedoom.

I had a Freedoom .wad on my original GZDoom install (I think I still have that install) and it even showed the generated backgrounds on the menu but when I tried playing the .wad through New Game I always got the same 4-5 levels on the list that I'm pretty sure are just the Freedoom ones.

You are likely loading the levels with the wrong phase. Maps generated for Doom (Ultimate) requires you use Freedoom: Phase 1, while maps generated for Doom2 requires Phase 2. Doom and Doom2 have different naming conventions for their maps, so custom levels for either game will only directly load with that game.

54 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You are likely loading the levels with the wrong phase. Maps generated for Doom (Ultimate) requires you use Freedoom: Phase 1, while maps generated for Doom2 requires Phase 2. Doom and Doom2 have different naming conventions for their maps, so custom levels for either game will only directly load with that game.

So since i use Doom 2 through the generators' settings I'll need to load both the custom .wad and the .wad for doom 2 for it to work properly ?

Yes. You select Freedoom: Phase 2 as the IWAD when asked, you don't need to load it manually (and in fact shouldn't).

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Yes. You select Freedoom: Phase 2 as the IWAD when asked, you don't need to load it manually (and in fact shouldn't).

Well I'll see if it works when i'm back home in a few hours.