Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CYBERIA

Is it possible to still vote on WADs on the idgames archive?

Or do I have to use the Downloads beta?

I want to use the idgames archive as it has the random WAD feature and its always fun to review those WADs.

Unfortunately the ability to leave feedback on the classic interface has been disabled entirely since the downloads section came along.

It wouldn’t be too bad if the downloads section wasn’t so broken.. it’s nicer on the eyes but wads as old as early 2018 still provide you the wrong file when you try to download them.

My suggestion is to do all your downloading through the classic interface and, if you can be bothered, find the corresponding file on the downloads section and leave your review that way. All files from 2017 and earlier should be correct anyway but in the case of needing the random file button, it’s only on the old one for now.

Im 99% sure Ling plans to get this all fixed but it’s probably absolute hell on the back end.

I think it is best they keep the reviews disabled as it causes a lot of troll activity. Although you do see a lot of "my first level" posts on here. But to be honest I do miss the old DW.

1 hour ago, pcorf said:

I think it is best they keep the reviews disabled as it causes a lot of troll activity. Although you do see a lot of "my first level" posts on here. But to be honest I do miss the old DW.

Personally I like being able to review wads, using my printz account, to have a list of played /idgames wads so far: under the new front-end, the reviewed entries become blue. It also produces good statistics to know which /idgames entries get the most attention.

Seems that new wads don't even appear in the new interface (like this one: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dlv ). It's also really hard to find anything. Files get displayed and sorted by the parsed title from the text file, instead of by file name (or by both). Also browsing through it is slow and has ambiguous choices (which is faster? Click on the "show more"? Or on the links?). It would probably be better to always show the entire content of a folder, instead of concealing it with "show more". Still, I really like the way it shows screenshots and how comments are integrated into the forum, and I would love to see it replace the old /idgames completely, but only when it has all the old features (most importantly the random chooser, and secondly, possibly, the search patterns).

Was it planned to also integrate /idgames uploading into doomworld.com? Nothing to replace the independent archives.gamers.org /idgames repository, but just an account-based Doomworld form where you submit your wad for review, under your handle, without manually using an FTP connection.

8 hours ago, printz said:

Personally I like being able to review wads, using my printz account, to have a list of played /idgames wads so far: under the new front-end, the reviewed entries become blue. It also produces good statistics to know which /idgames entries get the most attention.

Seems that new wads don't even appear in the new interface (like this one: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dlv ). It's also really hard to find anything. Files get displayed and sorted by the parsed title from the text file, instead of by file name (or by both). Also browsing through it is slow and has ambiguous choices (which is faster? Click on the "show more"? Or on the links?). It would probably be better to always show the entire content of a folder, instead of concealing it with "show more". Still, I really like the way it shows screenshots and how comments are integrated into the forum, and I would love to see it replace the old /idgames completely, but only when it has all the old features (most importantly the random chooser, and secondly, possibly, the search patterns).

Was it planned to also integrate /idgames uploading into doomworld.com? Nothing to replace the independent archives.gamers.org /idgames repository, but just an account-based Doomworld form where you submit your wad for review, under your handle, without manually using an FTP connection.

I think these are some good ideas. Talking about integrating /idgames into DW, I recognized that /idgames doesn't synchronize reviews from DW. Though, like Doomkid said, this would probably be hell on backend.

Honestly, why did this whole switch to DW downloads happen? Was /idgames hard to maintain?

I think it’s just because the 90s UI of the old one looks, well, really old. It works fine, but my first impression when I began using it was ???? for quite a while til I learned how to navigate it efficiently. If you imagine a more polished version of the downloads section with each feature from the old idgames integrated, im pretty sure that’s been the goal for the last 2 years. It’s unfortunate there isn’t more (manpower? Resources? Time? Idk, possibly all of the above) to get that done faster, it’s been in perpetual limbo but I’m certain that was not that intentional

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

I think it’s just because the 90s UI of the old one looks, well, really old. It works fine, but my first impression when I began using it was ???? for quite a while til I learned how to navigate it efficiently. If you imagine a more polished version of the downloads section with each feature from the old idgames integrated, im pretty sure that’s been the goal for the last 2 years. It’s unfortunate there isn’t more (manpower? Resources? Time? Idk, possibly all of the above) to get that done faster, it’s been in perpetual limbo but I’m certain that was not that intentional

As a 2000s kid who barely got to experience non-flat minimalistic UIs, I think the /idgames UI looks good and doesnt need to be changed. It gives it a little charm, and there is honestly nothing wrong with it.

Just putting in my two-cents but personally i like the legacy archive. That's the one i use (i mean the newer one is broken to a certain degree). But yeah, DoomKid already mentioned how to vote on WAD's so i won't reiterate it here.

It's kinda like when archive.org changed. I still can't stand how that site looks and it's harder for me to navigate it. I just like simplicity. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Always liked idgames review system (personally I don't mind anonymous reviews) but the new system is good aswell. Hopefully it will get fixed 

Using this link, I see a voting panel and it enables me to make a star rating, but it doesn't seem to count my vote as it stays on 5 votes.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:39 AM, NaZa said:

Using this link, I see a voting panel and it enables me to make a star rating, but it doesn't seem to count my vote as it stays on 5 votes.

Think when on the legacy subdomain it is just a static site that doesn't update.

It's a bummer that new wads aren't available for reviewing at all, since they aren't appearing in the beta downloads section.