Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boondorl

Doom or Quake Styled Projectiles?

In Doom, projectiles work like you'd think. Everything in the game uses a single rectangular collision box, projectiles included. If the projectile's box collides with anything solid, the projectile blows up/disappears/whatever. Quake is similar with its collision boxes except projectiles don't have any. Instead they do a check to see if their origin point crosses anything solid, and blows up if they do. This gives much tighter precision to them since they no longer get caught on corners anywhere near as often and can thread the needle through monsters.

My question is, which do you think is better? Projectiles with collision boxes that are harder to dodge but get caught on more things, or projectiles with no collision box that require greater accuracy to hit?

Is that how they did it? No wonder quake's rocket launcher feels so much better. I guess it also makes dodging stuff more fun.

Quake's all the way on that one. I hate it when my plasma spam is stopped short of a few pixels.

i like doom more. no, really, blowing a rocked straight in your face when you thought it will fit is priceless.

not that i am using rockets/plasma alot, tho.

Gonna have to go with Doom here, but for the simple fact that I have not played Quake anywhere near as much as the other, so I can't really compare the 2.