Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memerz1

Sharing visual design / architecture tips

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but this is basically a thread where you can learn and share design tips for map editing; And generally talk about interesting architectural structures in Doom. For example: I typically like to combine the LITE3 texture with the support texture. I also found this interesting skull cage from E3M3, that I see potential in.

If you have any design tips, feel free to share. :^)

LITE3 With support texutre.PNG

skull cage.png

make sure that lights are kinda pushed into the walls a bit. makes it a tad more atmospheric.

Also, make sure that if you can see somewhere outside the map, you should be able to go there.(Look at the E1M1 outside area for inspiration, and how it indicates you can go there by the armour in the water.)

I will share some tips :

- avoid excessively symmetrical structures.

- Try to stay simple. Overdetailling is often useless and a waste of time.

- Choose 2-3 dominant colors in your map.

- Try to go out your comfort zone by making something else than square rooms/architecture.

I suggest try this map, it's aimed for new mappers or those who struggle with mapping block, it has things explained:

3 hours ago, Misty said:

I suggest try this map, it's aimed for new mappers or those who struggle with mapping block, it has things explained:

This link deserves more attention than it got. Wonderful stuff.

23 hours ago, WeDemBois said:

Also, make sure that if you can see somewhere outside the map, you should be able to go there.

But yet on the other side of the map, you can see outside but can't get there. (The little alcove with the shotgun). There was also no way to get past that yellow door cage and go outside on E1M3. In both cases, I would have just made them enclosed rooms.

I like having areas outside that map that you can't get to.  It makes the world seem bigger than just the map.

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

I like having areas outside that map that you can't get to.  It makes the world seem bigger than just the map.

I actually do that. lol

Wasn't that like one of the points Doom tried to make? That everywhere where you can see you CAN go. I mean if it's obvious that it's outside the map then go for it, but otherwise I feel this leads to a lot of time thinking of ways to create invisible walls, weird barriers etc.

It's one of Romero's design rules:

making sure that if a player could see outside that they should be able to somehow get there

Although he was somewhat lax about that himself.

8 hours ago, pulkmees said:

Wasn't that like one of the points Doom tried to make? That everywhere where you can see you CAN go. I mean if it's obvious that it's outside the map then go for it, but otherwise I feel this leads to a lot of time thinking of ways to create invisible walls, weird barriers etc.

Yes, Romero has mentioned a few times he didn't do areas that were outdoors unless you could get there. Violated in a few places (one spot in E1M1 you can't visit, the area beyond the yellow door cage in E1M3) but for the most part this was consistent.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Starting with E1M1 as a matter of fact.

But according to John that was the last map he created. (to put in all knowledge gained from the rest to give a good first impression to the player)

I try to find one or two centerpieces of architecture for the map i make. (doesn't always work) Something the player will see in the background every now and then or a certain place he will revisit when playing the map. I have the impression it makes maps less linear.

Try to use border sector when you can, it's such a small detail but can help make floors and ceilings look less flat if used right.

Complex sector shapes are a pretty good way to have a simple, functional and good looking visual without even thinking much about detailing (if any). A super-detailed square room will still be a square room.

Borders are cool, right? Such a simple way to make boring geometry look less boring.

TcI8XBk.png

Wrong!

TqVL3uK.png

Put some block monsters flag on these border lines, at least. Please.

That's not how I meant you should use them, put them around landscape geometry for example, but ok....

6 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

can help make floors and ceilings look less flat if used right.

Won't need them if the border sectors are leveled near same as the inner sectors though, but you're right.

Random thoughts on mapping that I wrote during mapping DVII Second Edition

--------------------------------

1. Geometry first, then figure out how to texture it. Don't let powers of two
or multiples of eight get in the way of the cool stuff.

2. Connectivity is good, but too much of it just confuses the hell out of me.

3. Understanding the way Doom Engine renders things, I started to delete 
   details.

4. Barrels o' fun only on Map23? Why not every map?

5. When solving for an x, solve for n too, whenever possible.

6. Bad design has no explanation, good design needs no explanation.

7. Attention is a limited resource. Do not make every wall a showcase, do not
make every room a landmark.

In the second screenshot I would recommend a border texture along the bars and the wall. Maybe with a wood or silver texture. A minor change but it goes a long way.

@WeDemBois I picked up your advice on adding a sort of "dent" to the wall lights. As you can see here: I added my own twist to that concept by merging the floor and wall next to it. Thanks for the tips everyone. :^)

lite with dent in it.PNG

Bumping the tips from Roofi, Deadwing and Marine specially. These are truly most helpful in making a fun, atmospheric map that isn't just all looks and no game.