Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've finished Robo Aleste. It wasn't as hard as I initially thought it was once my eyes adjusted to the faint and tiny bullets and I realized that you can actually shoot the bullets. I really enjoyed this game the more I played it, but I'm baffled as to how anyone could place it above Musha Aleste (Robo Aleste has a higher rating than Musha Aleste on Gamefaqs). It kind of amazes me how bad the story, voice acting, translation and dialogue all are. How do you mess up a story about ninjas and giant robots that takes place in the Sengoku era of feudal Japan? 

I also just finished playing through Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo on Veteran mode in one sitting. The first 95% of the game was pretty easy. And then the final boss showed up and proceeded to wipe the floor with me for a good 25 minutes. After that, I played a bit of endless mode, and I can say that it's more enjoyable than the main game. Overall, it's a pretty good game, and certainly, worth the (maybe) two dollars I spent on it.

edit: I beat Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo on Hell mode just now, so according to the game, I'm a masochist/bullet hell expert. As with Veteran mode, I breezed through the first 95% of the game and then had to endure a fair bit of pain before beating the final boss. This has got to be one of the most obnoxious difficulty spikes I've ever experienced in a game. 

Edited by Ajora

Been playing the second Amnesia, missed having my nerves on the edge the whole time :v . Kinda wish to be done with it soon because of that.

Other than that, been playing some Contra. I should get a NES at some point, that would be nice.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, seed said:

Been playing the second Amnesia, missed having my nerves on the edge the whole time :v . Kinda wish to be done with it soon because of that.

Other than that, been playing some Contra. I should get a NES at some point, that would be nice.

maxresdefault.jpg

Contra is a great game!

BTW, if you do buy a NES just be ready to replace that 72-pin connector as that's the most common issue with them. That or you can try to disable the lock-out chip and see if that makes it work, if it has an issue reading games (as most tend to do). I actually replaced my pin connector in mine like 5 years ago as a local store was selling them for cheap and i just kept the lock-out chip in tact. I have no idea why i kept it in tact haha! Of course i still kept the original pin-connector just in case ;) (they are of higher quality)

You shouldn't have any issues with a NES if you manage to find one of the top loaders (if they had those in your country) but expect to pay more for one of those. Vintage video game consoles and games are still really hot so try to watch the prices (as i'm sure you already know). Don't get ripped off xD

If you already know all of this then...my bad ;)

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Contra is a great game!

BTW, if you do buy a NES just be ready to replace that 72-pin connector as that's the most common issue with them. That or you can try to disable the lock-out chip and see if that makes it work, if it has an issue reading games (as most tend to do). I actually replaced my pin connector in mine like 5 years ago as a local store was selling them for cheap and i just kept the lock-out chip in tact. I have no idea why i kept it in tact haha! Of course i still kept the original pin-connector just in case ;) (they are of higher quality)

You shouldn't have any issues with a NES if you manage to find one of the top loaders (if they had those in your country) but expect to pay more for one of those. Vintage video game consoles and games are still really hot so try to watch the prices (as i'm sure you already know). Don't get ripped off xD

If you already know all of this then...my bad ;)

Eh, thanks for the info, but no real need at this time. There's many things I wanted or still want, but I ultimately don't get them for various reasons. I am just considering the idea, but chances are, it ain't gonna happen. I see Nintendo has stopped production yet again, and don't have plans to bring it back in the foreseeable future.

Thankfully I'm likely going to get a job somewhere this summer, so I'll finally have some money than be broke 24/7, might actually spend them on something, other than credits for dozens of failed exams...

Dino Crisis, it's been a long time, still as good now as it was then, like most of Capcom's games really. They need to bring this series back. I'm also on the second to last level in Outlaws, didn't know it was such a short game.

i've just finished beating the story mode of Need For Speed Undercover. Now i'm back to the AMC TC. (and Need For Speed World with the offline server mod, not to be confused with Soapbox Race World)

I'm playing Blood. I think it's my favorite Build engine game, I can't believe a game where half the arsenal is for setting enemies on fire/blowing them up feels so perfectly balanced.

Still playing Yakuza 0, but also playing through more Doom stuff that I've missed.  I finished Eviternity, Lunar Catastrophe, Deathless and Golden Souls 1, now I'm playing Golden Souls 2.  It's been an embarrassment of riches whenever I catch up on what the community has created.  I don't personally know anyone IRL that still plays the classic Dooms as I do but I'll always preach the community's contributions as the main reason why these are still some of my all-time favorite games.

2 hours ago, Vile said:

Still playing Yakuza 0, but also playing through more Doom stuff that I've missed.  I finished Eviternity, Lunar Catastrophe, Deathless and Golden Souls 1, now I'm playing Golden Souls 2.  It's been an embarrassment of riches whenever I catch up on what the community has created.  I don't personally know anyone IRL that still plays the classic Dooms as I do but I'll always preach the community's contributions as the main reason why these are still some of my all-time favorite games.

I just started Yakuza 0 this weekend too and really loving it. The music is really good and makes the game even better.

13 hours ago, StoneFrog said:

I'm playing Blood. I think it's my favorite Build engine game, I can't believe a game where half the arsenal is for setting enemies on fire/blowing them up feels so perfectly balanced.

Do you play the DOS version or with a source “port”?

Hexen 2 and Darkness 2.

Almost done with both, but damn, the first Hexen definitely had the better combat, this one is fun and all but sorely lacking, and could definitely use more enemy types (seriously, super variants?) The puzzles are also more confusing than in the original on some occasions. Paying attention to clues certainly helps, but the layouts can do a number on you with ease sometimes. I like it for what it is, but yeah, my favorite will be the first.

Playing Darkness 2 made me realize something: true 3D and freelook is something I have kinda lost touch with, I'm quite clumsy and my reaction time is trash after too much "Doom engine" and other old classics. Still loving the series, but the Downloadable Content menu entry is almost mocking me. Hurts to know the story was meant to be continued that way, but because it did not sell well 2K was against the idea. Maybe we'll get a Darkness 3 one day, but just a maybe.

Been playing some SkyrimSE and Fallout 4 to break in my new 1050 and pc.
Neither of these games have been playable on any pc I've had before, the only reason I had them was Steam sales.
Playing these on ultra and not dropping from 60fps has been great, budget gaming pc for the win!

11 hours ago, seed said:

Playing Darkness 2 made me realize something: true 3D and freelook is something I have kinda lost touch with, I'm quite clumsy and my reaction time is trash after too much "Doom engine" and other old classics.

That's pretty much how i feel whenever i play anything other then Doom, even Quake. It just feels so awkward. I just feel so much more comfortable playing "classic" Doom or Doom WADs than most true 3D games with freelook tbh. Easier for me i guess; well at least they are when they have a sourceport and i can set up more modern-ish controls as well as set up/run the game easier then using DOSBox ;)

Right now it's just been Doom WAD's for me as well as a tiny bit of Q3 but like i said, that feels weird playing, especially right after Doom.

I still need to set up Quake 1 and 2 with sourceports as well...probably QuakeSpasm for Q1 as i prefer more of a classic look (darkplaces is more graphical i believe) and for Q2 maybe Yamagi (or i can just see if Q2 runs natively).

35 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

That's pretty much how i feel whenever i play anything other then Doom, even Quake. It just feels so awkward. I just feel so much more comfortable playing "classic" Doom or Doom WADs than most true 3D games with freelook tbh. Easier for me i guess; well at least they are when they have a sourceport and i can set up more modern-ish controls as well as set up/run the game easier then using DOSBox ;)

Right now it's just been Doom WAD's for me as well as a tiny bit of Q3 but like i said, that feels weird playing, especially right after Doom.

I still need to set up Quake 1 and 2 with sourceports as well...probably QuakeSpasm for Q1 as i prefer more of a classic look (darkplaces is more graphical i believe) and for Q2 maybe Yamagi (or i can just see if Q2 runs natively).

I grew up playing vanilla Doom with keyboard and mouse, played Quake (arrow-keys, not WASD). When I started playing Quake 2 it took quite a while to get used to using the mouse for looking around. Still played with the arrows keys, same as in Half-Life until I started playing TFC. Then a kid I knew at school asked how I used grenades when I used the arrow keys, because I had to reach over to press a letter key to throw a grenade. He showed me WASD, it made sense, and I've used it ever since. 

However, when I play Doom now, I can't play it without mouselook. However I turn autoaim off, so I still have to aim at enemies, and I still aim for head or center mass. I'm not as good at shooters as I once was, mainly because I don't play games as much anymore.

Right now I just started Okami; I've been wanting to play it since it came out, in 2006, but never bought it. The HD version was in a Steam sale a few days ago so I figured I'd try it out. I'm enjoying it, however the ridiculously long machine dialog at the beginning kind of wears you out. And the shakey art style kind of gives me a headache. I love the ink art style, but it has a blur and waver to it that is kind of annoying. Hopefully I'll get used to it, because it seems like an interesting game.

Played heretic's first 3 episodes using Wayfarer's Tomb mod. That mod is basically a balance mod that makes combat much more fluid and fun. I really recommend using this mod if anyone wants to replay heretic

And now I am playing E4 and E5 using this mod.

1 hour ago, CyberDreams said:

Yeah, gameplay is radically different from classic games like Doom, you can also aim down your sights similar to CoD there, but unlike it it's not a necessity (you don't shoot confetti everywhere if you don't, and I like that, Darkness 2 is not a military shooter after all), I just never expected to be so out of touch with modern games, so I kinda prefer the retro way too. Even when I finally finished the first Quake's I was pretty clumsy, all the more obvious due to how fast and deadly some enemies are. Then again, I've never been great at shooters in particular.

What I was pretty good at, from my memories, would be NES games, but once again that's something I lost touch with. After all, the last time I touched a controller and played one was over 12 years ago. But even so, not a real NES unfortunately, sucks to learn so late that what I had at a time was a Terminator 2 clone system. Sure looked similar to a SEGA Megadrive. Managed to find a good keyboard setup in Mesen to mimick the controller but I got destroyed in Contra and Batman.

Darkplaces was more sophisticated and graphics mods were targetted mainly for it, but it's also no longer in development, so it's better to stick to QuakeSpasm.

I can play shooters that benefit from or make mouse aiming a necessity just fine, but there's no doubt that when you approach 2004 and onward, a lot of player mobility is lost for the sake of being more grounded, and thus a higher dependency on needing cover and/or taking it slow to survive (some games will circumvent this a little like FEAR's slo-mo ability but it's not often). Insultingly, the AI for enemies hasn't really advanced all that much since the 90's, at least on average, so instead the common approach to compensating for bee-liners is overwhelming you with endlessly spawning waves of easily disposable popcorn gooks, forcing you to break their line because holding out is pointless, who'll then dish out sharply scaling damage on anything higher than easy in order to punish mobility and your lack of cover, and cheap attacks, namely all shotgun users in existence, and hand grenades that almost never miss their mark and have unforgiving reaction times. The worst kind of enemies however, worse since you can't kill them, are bloody screen, dirty screen, blurry screen and shaky screen, the four horsemen of the wall of noise. They'll work in tandem with lens flares, bloom, particle effects and whatever else is making a mess on your screen at the time, so the grenade indicator, the silent killer, will go unnoticed while you're trying to find cover so it can all go away.

I'm still getting used to modern FPS I confess, but I certainly prefer older ones.

In some cases old AI was miles better, ironically. I keep remembering the enemies from Unreal and the way they reacted to your actions, and that was in the 90s. 2020s soon and we rarely see anything similar to that stuff. But the thing is, AI in old games was certainly dumb, yet it was efficient. Dumb as bricks in some cases, it sure got the job done.

Haven't played that many modern FPSes, and losing touch with them sure enough doesn't help either. But certain games caught my attention lately, after ignoring them in the past, namely Max Payne. Sure enough I love how gritty the first one in particular is. But there's also more old school stuff I need to play. Still didn't get to Dusk and Ion Maiden for instance, and Wrath: Aeon of Ruin is soon :v .

It's been like... Three weeks. I've beaten Battlefield 4 (very short, but high quality), Punch Out (brutally hard near the end), the first two AoE: DE campaigns (enjoyable, but slow burning) and 100% Assassin's Creed Director's Cut (has the Prince of Persia Sands of Time issue of being a great game that is a bit weak in features and lacks in combat). Currently on Banjo-Tooie (love it) and Battlefield Hardline (weirdly difficult to get running and has strange visual artifacts where shaders are not working in a square area around things... Also the alligator QTE was so badly done).

I can see me finishing BFH soon, as it's mostly fun and also seems short. I love the way the campaign is like a TV show when you quit or start the game.

Mordhau, launch issues and lack of content aside, its still a really good Chivalry successor with some extremely satisfying combat.

At long last, I've finally gotten around to playing the highly revered Tyrian 2000. And, uh, it's... okay. I feel like all of the people proclaiming this to be one of the greatest games within its genre have either not played many shooters, or have been blinded by nostalgia. The controls are very floaty, and my ship feels like a puck sliding around on an air hockey table. I must say, it's quite impressive, and even a bit staggering how much content and effort were poured into the game. But if you're going to tell an elaborate story in a shooter, please make it compelling.

One of the biggest problems with this game is that you can't replay levels, so you're virtually guaranteed to miss secret levels and essential story entries. I get that the developers didn't want you to become overpowered by farming currency, but just limit what you're capable of buying at any point, and there would be no problems. Raptor allowed for currency farming, and that worked out fine. In fact, pretty much everything about Raptor is better than Tyrian 2000.

edit: I didn't realize at the time that the game was designed to be played with a mouse. Knowing that now, the game has become a lot more fun, as well as quite a bit easier. I'm enjoying this a lot more now.

Edited by Ajora

I really have no idea what to play tbh. I really want to try out Doom 2016 but i'll have to wait a bit due to my PC needing a better cooler and also money for both of 'em. So i might either install Wolfenstein 3D + Spear of Destiny and play via ECWolf or install Quake and play that via QuakeSpasm, but that'll take a bit more work to get it set up correctly with all of the music and settings and what not.

Also i had no idea until today that Wolfenstein 3D's 27th birthday was a few days ago. I had this feeling of wanting to play it for the past week...dunno why. Coincidence? Btw, when i play Wolf 3D, i NEED to use a map so having a sourceport is a godsend. I seriously get so lost in that game that i cannot play it without one haha!

Third Choice: I could also install GTA: San Andreas as i used to LOVE that game and i kinda want a sandbox style game to mess around in. I didn't really like GTA V all that much (i never even finished it) so i don't really want to play that. I mainly played SA on consoles (PS2/Xbox) but the PC version is "where it's at" nowadays imo (original Xbox version is probably second). I can finally run an ENB if i wanted to make the graphics look a tad better, but i don't mind the original ones. I used to like playing SA-MP (San Andreas Multi Player) as well although i do find it harder to drive with the keyboard/mouse (not being pressure sensitive and all) but it's easier to fly with one so it balances out. Thankfully i don't have the shitty steam version which is missing half the soundtrack.

Fourth Choice: More of a "mess around" game but i could play The Sims 2 as i really like to play something to calm down before i go to sleep (usually i just come on here and read everything i've missed). I like the original Sim's game the best as it's more nostalgic for me but all i have installed right now is #2 (i've never played 3 on PC nor 4) and it was pretty fun the last time i played it. 

TL;DR: If anything, i'll choose one of those 4 to play (Wolf 3D, Quake, GTA:SA or Sims 2) and have some fun when i can in between playing Doom PWAD's of course ;).

Having finished Tyrian 2000 a couple of days ago, I've officially come to the conclusion that the game is mediocre. By the end of my playthrough, everything just devolved into a boring, poorly structured mess that I was able to coast through in my sleep. As with Robo Aleste, the storyline is an inane, pretentious, overwritten dumpster fire replete with unlikable characters. Stargunner wasn't anything special, but I'd put it above Tyrian 2000. Though I wish more shooters allowed you to pilot a flying pretzel truck. 

The Guardian Legend, however, is phenomenal. The people calling this one of the most underrated NES games of all time aren't wrong. I'm having so much fun with this, and really can't find anything to nitpick. It's a shame it didn't sell very well.

Edited by Ajora

Doom 3, Doom 2016, and a bit of Quake Shareware.

I was playing Half-Life as well, but got stuck.

And say what you want, but Doom 3 with Redux is great. :)

9 hours ago, V0idH0und said:

I was playing Half-Life as well, but got stuck.

Let me guess, stuck on On A Rail?

Oddly enough i never did beat Half-Life on PC. I beat the first one on Dreamcast, using the controller. That version is notorious for having frequent load times (as it wasn't exactly finalized nor officially released). I never did finish Blue Shift though. It froze on me multiple times xD. I also never played HL 2 on PC either. I have the Orange Box on Xbox 360 and that was at a time when i usually just played console games. I did finish it though. It was pretty fun from what i can recall. I don't really consider the HL games "superb" FPS's though, as i think the shooting is a little bit sloppy compared to others, but overall they are both excellent games imo. 

Now i've just been playing the newly released Blood: Fresh Supply, as i'm sure most people here have. Seems great so far, besides a few bugs/issues. I actually did install NBlood and compare the two and while i think that NBlood plays a tiny bit smoother for me personally, i really have no issues running Nightdive's version either, once everything is set up that is. But of course i'm not a hardcore Blood fan (yet) so i can't "truly" compare the two versions i guess. This is coming from a newbies perspective.

It is a great game though imo. I'd definitely recommend it if you like Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior, or any Build engine/90's FPS games for that matter. So far i'm finding the gameplay to be more balanced than Shadow Warrior as i think that game is a little too unbalanced in difficulty imo.