Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Heavy Metal Armageddon - work in progress

Wow, this looks really cool! That's damn good for a first map from what you've posted so far. Wish I could give you some tips but I've never made a map before, so all I can really say is just take your time and have fun with it. Can't wait to see how this turns out:)

57 minutes ago, Marn said:

This is one of the best-looking first maps I've seen. Keep it up!

Thanks. If it looks good, it's only because I don't know what can't be done. But I too thought it did look okay and they browsed some WADs posted here, and realized I don't know so many things.

The enemies will be the biggest challenge.

What do you think about little bits of visual storytelling? I like when they don't break the flow. Left 4 Dead did it brilliantly. You want to know the story - stop and read the grafitti. I'd like to implement something like this.

I don't know how you do it, but I first think "what would be fun in this part of the map", and then "what could be this place and what's its story". I'm trying to give every place a purpose, and even though you probably won't know it, I know it kinda makes sense. Also, I'm adding these banners to tell a bit more about the world, its downfall and the baddies' attitude. All in the glorious cheesy was of retro action movies and 2.5 fps games.

Screenshot_Doom_20190425_230425.png.7117f6cc1518dcbc8c1b22de79a9bb9c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190425_230403.png.eeceff4bb321181704fb136b36e90f1d.png

Thank you!

Credits screen is done. I'm now taking on the biggest challenge, which is enemy design, so it'll take me a while.

Screenshot_Doom_20190428_220529.png.757f151e27f5e440a4cc436a38f0d1a5.png

First major bump in the road. Sprites may look alright but take ages to make. My method probably isn't the most effective since every single sprite requires tons of color adjustments to match the others. Other solution would be to cut the number of frames in half, but I'm not sure of the results. Since there is so much left to do, I think I'll use recolored Doom sprites instead, although that's something I'd like to avoid. Bummer.

obraz.png.323d64310485a08d9492db343eb8ca33.png

There are tons of sprites on realm667, hopefully you can find something there you like.

( I haven't been to that site in years, what's up with the incessant popup every page? )

Unfortunetly not so much. No 80s biker gangs or techno preachers. :) But I'll find a way.

A film I was addicted to in my teens (basically a superhero horror) and THE scene that inspired the main character of this WAD and his powers. :)

giphy.gif

Since I'm asking a lot of questions in the editing section, I feel kinda obliged to prove they aren't for nothing. The mod is progressing nicely, I have some - hopefully - cool weapons and got to the 2nd level. I'll release a two level demo when I'm done and use your feedback before creating the rest of the mod.

Here's a couple of new things, including custom pickups, better weapon sprites and enemy placement pretty much locked.

740606930_INTERPIC2.png.d31e83311559b8daa6e22a2ddb979162.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190505_165208.png.deb71d81e2872af08da94c72c0738e9a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190505_165237.png.83aef70566214a8781c9ff9db3627d9d.png

Map 2, Facade of Faith, in the making. This one's much more complex than the first one and I'm hoping to take you on a little journey. Plus a new weapon that I think will surprise you with its effects. When this is ready, I'll release the demo. Excited as hell!

Screenshot_Doom_20190510_183201.png.2f84fd7a6cf82ad6d59f57f5d53839fe.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190510_183300.png.53f0e94ef7dd7400741f64513587cc94.png

Wasting way too much time adding way too much detail, but frankly, how could you NOT do this? Where's the point you stop and say: it's fine, it's done? I haven't found it yet. Instead of nearing the finish line, I feel like it's moving with my every step.

obraz.png.3701feaee8f57b879c8239352cd9b738.png

HMA journal, stardate whatever. I decided to keep all the HMA stuff here to not multiply threads that no one reads anyway.

If anyone played this demo: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04719947943909065423

please know that after HAK3180's review I've recognized problems and the demo is already obsolete. Most of all, it's playable ON MIDDLE DIFFICULTY ONLY, as I haven't properly tested other settings. Other changes, already implemented but available only in the final WAD, include:

- weapon balance (boomsnap now kills anyone except bosses in 1 snap, more powerful doves)

- easier church navigation (1st floor key holding area now available from the start, barrier on the cross is immediately visible as well as the effect of button presses, button that opens the cross passage is now highlighted with the banners and the cross)

- hard difficulty now has more resources

- VV-Sector and Ear of Ga'ud enemies now have fewer health points

I'd like to give my thanks to anyone who took time to test it and most of all, provide feedback. I'm learning, this is my first modding effort, I needed your criticism.

Right now I'm well in map 3, Neon Styx, where I decided to have a sinister face on the facade of the bad guy's HQ. I wanted to do it because I've never seen anything like it in Doom. It's still an early version, so it'll look much better, but I'm happy with the progress.

Screenshot_Doom_20190606_221826.png.b26f9155ba97f8780bdc894d173d3d80.png

Hooo boy, this is fun!

Edited by Szuran

"Not enough" is starting to be a theme in this project. Trying to create a believable city environment, I thought some banners would make it more vivid. But some wasn't enough, and instead of creating 3 I'm at 7 and counting, because I just don't want to repeat the same texture (too often). But after I added that, it was not enough. If I can add more, why shouldn't I? So storefronts appeared. Trash cans. Graffiti. Neon signs. Lamp posts. Then vehicles (and it's extremely hard to make them look even remotly like vehicles using Doom 2's vanilla capabilities). Then movie posters.

I find it easy to stop and I think I got more sidedefs than half the original Doom. On one street. In a level that features not only this one street, but a subway station, an apartment complex, a promenade and a huge square.

Damn. It's gonna take ages and it won't even look as good as most of the WADs I see here. But I've already put so much time into it. It'd be stupid to stop now.

Screenshot_Doom_20190612_221309.png.2c928bdb370828bf4e1976827afb9f19.png

FINALLY I have something to show. This has been a long road.

Edited by Szuran

Thanks. :) I will, even though it already took me 100s of hours and probably 3 people will play it. :)