Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MAN_WITH_GUN

Mystical Cave - Speedmap for 5 hours!

Mystical cave

A map made over the course of five hours and which represents a non-entered map into one of speedmapping's.

The topic of this map is an ancient civilization. During the limited time period I did everything I could, it turned out that in the final version the map was not on the topic that was intended.

The map presents itself as a difficult test in caves surrounded by green liquid. Do not forget your shotgun at the beginning and enjoy your survival!

Info:

Spoiler

IWAD: Doom 2

Port: Boom

File name: MC.wad

Map: 01

Music: Speed of Doom - Map 06: Dreamscape

Board: It is advisable to look for secrets, the balance is a bit harsh.

Others: New skybox and music.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

BON2D0.png.200559cde5cf1a614e83ffc356bcba98.png

post1.png.324cb294037538c2170e6764382b4193.png

post2.png.ce639ed28849176744a25830718c6f69.png

Link:

Any criticism is accepted.

- MWG

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN

just played it. Nice map overall

18.40 minutes to end it, 1 secret out of 2. Nice survival at the beginning, i needed to punch 1st arch on the elevator cause i don't like to change lighting and i play as it is meant so i didn't see the saw at first glance. Then with the chainsaw everything worked fine. Please make that the door with the plasma secret stays open (at least from behind) cause if monsters follow you (and that was my case since i had no ammo to kill elemental plus caco) they go straight under the crusher basically stopping the door from opening, that way you are stuck until mons die. Light was the worst part, it didn't give that creepy feeling, it just ruined my progression since i couldn't see skull door and thought i was stuck before the plasma gun (in the outside room with candelabras pre chaingunners) and i couldn't figure out where to go after the key switch cause i couldnt see the rocket launcher passageway. Final area was too easy.

Considering the amount of time spent to build it it was a pretty good map, nice layout and nice survival, i always like to punch archies. Thanks for sharing :)

35 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

just played it. Nice map overall

18.40 minutes to end it, 1 secret out of 2. Nice survival at the beginning, i needed to punch 1st arch on the elevator cause i don't like to change lighting and i play as it is meant so i didn't see the saw at first glance. Then with the chainsaw everything worked fine. Please make that the door with the plasma secret stays open (at least from behind) cause if monsters follow you (and that was my case since i had no ammo to kill elemental plus caco) they go straight under the crusher basically stopping the door from opening, that way you are stuck until mons die. Light was the worst part, it didn't give that creepy feeling, it just ruined my progression since i couldn't see skull door and thought i was stuck before the plasma gun (in the outside room with candelabras pre chaingunners) and i couldn't figure out where to go after the key switch cause i couldnt see the rocket launcher passageway. Final area was too easy.

Considering the amount of time spent to build it it was a pretty good map, nice layout and nice survival, i always like to punch archies. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for the criticism! Yes, in 5 hours I spent a lot of time on the details and the atmosphere of the wad itself, so I almost make the gameplay at the last moment ("._.)
Regarding the path of passage, I think it’s about the lighting, which confuses the player a little, making him go slower and more cautiously through this map. The map itself is quite simple in keys and other things, linear, and even despite the flaws and dampness of this wad, you could feel it, it makes me happy, since it was exactly sharpened to the atmosphere from the very beginning :)

This was fun. I only just beat it on HMP :( the ammo is very tight and actually I had to run past the final fight XD but I am sure other people are better than I.

1 Caco and 1 PE with just a shotgun? XD that was cool. Does the chainsaw tear up these two guys pretty easily? I think its cool how the wrong starting path gives you HP and and a chainsaw. I enjoy the balance that difficulty forces you to explore and that taking multiple routes to the finish is the best option (at least for me!) and really adds strategy imo.

3 things I think would make the map cooler (i guess this is just HMP though):

1. On the route to the yellow key, there are actually light sources in the cave area that are so dim as you can hardly notice them. I think lightening up these sectors will give players a better idea of the structure and space of the room.

2. Maybe have Big Red looking right at the player from the mission start- putting pressure on the player immediately and making the initial halls more than just peeking around corners with a shotgun.

3. Throw in a SSG behind the yellow switch. And then maybe lose a box of rockets in favor of a box of shells. Multiple routes get better with multiple weapon choices.

Thanks for posting.

5 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

This was fun. I only just beat it on HMP :( the ammo is very tight and actually I had to run past the final fight XD but I am sure other people are better than I.

1 Caco and 1 PE with just a shotgun? XD that was cool. Does the chainsaw tear up these two guys pretty easily? I think its cool how the wrong starting path gives you HP and and a chainsaw. I enjoy the balance that difficulty forces you to explore and that taking multiple routes to the finish is the best option (at least for me!) and really adds strategy imo.

3 things I think would make the map cooler (i guess this is just HMP though):

1. On the route to the yellow key, there are actually light sources in the cave area that are so dim as you can hardly notice them. I think lightening up these sectors will give players a better idea of the structure and space of the room.

2. Maybe have Big Red looking right at the player from the mission start- putting pressure on the player immediately and making the initial halls more than just peeking around corners with a shotgun.

3. Throw in a SSG behind the yellow switch. And then maybe lose a box of rockets in favor of a box of shells. Multiple routes get better with multiple weapon choices.

Thanks for posting.

And thank you for the play! Well, in 5 hours I don't think I can do this, especially in constant stress because of the contest itself - speedmapping :D
Regarding all the recommendations, I completely agree, though since the creation of this wad in 5 hours - I didn’t change it at all, so that everything was fair ;) So I would definitely change this map in a much better way.

For example, Fear Factor, which I successfully released in this section and which was a remake of one of my very old wads 💪👀

sweet little map, I love your style! really awesome considering the time constraints too. I think it would have been cool if the final fight was more forced on the player, so that instead of being able to just corner peek from the hallway, maybe the mancs and AVs wouldn't spawn in until you hit a switch to reveal the end switch or something. but pretty understandable to not have set all that up given the speedmap nature. that aside though, the visuals are great, atmosphere is awesome. I would love to play more maps like this :D

what's the map02 midi from btw? first time I've heard it but I love it. I also thought the midi in map01 fit super well with the map. I had no idea what it was until I heard that zelda melody in the middle haha

4 hours ago, Tango said:

sweet little map, I love your style! really awesome considering the time constraints too. I think it would have been cool if the final fight was more forced on the player, so that instead of being able to just corner peek from the hallway, maybe the mancs and AVs wouldn't spawn in until you hit a switch to reveal the end switch or something. but pretty understandable to not have set all that up given the speedmap nature. that aside though, the visuals are great, atmosphere is awesome. I would love to play more maps like this :D

what's the map02 midi from btw? first time I've heard it but I love it. I also thought the midi in map01 fit super well with the map. I had no idea what it was until I heard that zelda melody in the middle haha

Thanks for playing! Yes, time limits have taken a lot of good ideas from me while creating this map, which was inspired by the maps from the Speed of Doom. (Music taken from the same wad)
The music from Ancient Aliens plays on map 02, which I accidentally forgot to remove when testing music in different ports ("._.)

Interesting trip back in time

This was a surprisingly nice map from you, I really shouldn't have died if I didn't play stupidly.

These days it seems like you can do A LOT more with 5 hours

I wonder where the time machine will take me next?