Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted User

D4RKP1G Stuff (Sprites, Edits, Etc...)

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

So what lever-action shotgun, assault rifle and laser gun sprites did you rip from? These people should be credited for their hard work rather than left in obscurity - they should also be contacted to obtain consent for their sprite usage in a project like FreeDoom, which is why it's better that everything is hand made specifically for FreeDoom.

Well the lazer gun was made by my cousin, I'll post it when I find it.

the assault rifle... Well I had no idea of who did it.

and I have no idea as well of who made the l-a shotgun.

i just scrolled down my weapon folder and searched for 3 or more guns

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

When you compare these sprites to your first attempt they are a lot better, but based on that I feel like very little of this sprite was actually drawn by you.

Not really mate, this gun was made whit a shit ton of edits, they really look way different from the original version or source.

On 25 de abril de 2019 at 4:09 AM, Doctor Nick said:

I was talking about the chaingunner guy sprite that you did?

Well, I made a more zombish and more dead look of him, take a look

image.png

11 hours ago, D4RKP1G said:

Not really mate, this gun was made whit a shit ton of edits, they really look way different from the original version or source.

Unfortunately, when it comes to copyright law, that doesn't really matter. If you create something starting from an already existing source, it is considered a "derivative work", no matter how much you've changed from the original. We have to be pretty strict about these things, since this has been an issue in the past.

I think the new chaingunner guy looks really good. Would you be able to upload the individual files for him?

10 hours ago, Doctor Nick said:

Unfortunately, when it comes to copyright law, that doesn't really matter. If you create something starting from an already existing source, it is considered a "derivative work", no matter how much you've changed from the original. We have to be pretty strict about these things, since this has been an issue in the past.

I think the new chaingunner guy looks really good. Would you be able to upload the individual files for him?

Well ok, I'm not making any weapon sprites :/

and i will post individual frames this time... possibly

finished front walking frames, tbh they look amazing better that the old one

image.png Walk 1

image.png Walk 2

image.png Walk 3

image.png Walk 4

Edited by D4RKP1G

On 4/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, Wereknight said:

Have you asked Eriance (Amuscaria) from ZDoom forum for using it?

I released the old Demon Eclipse sprites under Creative Commons - Non Commercial a long time ago. People are free to use as they see fit. :)

49 minutes ago, Amuscaria said:

I released the old Demon Eclipse sprites under Creative Commons - Non Commercial a long time ago. People are free to use as they see fit. :)

@Amuscaria Would you grant an exception for the shotgun sprites to be released under a Creative Comments By-Attribution license? If so, we can totally use his shotgun for Freedoom.

2 hours ago, Amuscaria said:

See, told ya they were free-to-use!

12 hours ago, Doctor Nick said:

@Amuscaria Would you grant an exception for the shotgun sprites to be released under a Creative Comments By-Attribution license? If so, we can totally use his shotgun for Freedoom.

Am i allowed to change the CC liscence once its already released under another?

Anyway lets speak about this elsewhere. Dont wanna derail amothers thread.

5 hours ago, Amuscaria said:

Anyway lets speak about this elsewhere. Dont wanna derail amothers thread.

Yeah, same I don't want to fill my topic whit copyright shit, let's talk about the probably new chaingunner

Btw i made another attempt for a shotgun, This Is 98% hand-drawn, the hand is again from my old shotgun (the one that was took from Amuscaria)

and it ir resiembres the really old shotgun, which i frankly liked, but since the similarities, should it be green? or is it ok whit the red light?

image.png

... none of them. Try blue instead.

And before committing something to project please, pretty please, do some practice at drawings. I see you trying but those efforts are nothing without hand that have experience in drawing.

You're taking this too hard.

I can't say you're doing this "nice" (maybe "good", at least?), but yes, you have chances to do it better, for sure. So don't stop doing this, but you should understand that not of all your drawings are impressive.

@Wereknight does know what he is saying, he making sprites a lot. You just need to understand his words in another way. Negative criticism is also a lesson.

2 hours ago, D4RKP1G said:

do you atleast have something nice to say?

I don't. I do not like to lie to people about their abilities and then will not do that there either.

I already told you, you have some potential yet you lack of practice and experience in spriting.

I'd recommend you to continue studying. And I have good material for learn

Also this one.

And to ensure that you may get better:

s6OKg0S.png

That was my old plasma gun that I've redone once. I felt that I could do it. And I did, it was worth of effort. 

Yet it lacks of shading pretty much, but suits some things like freedoom just right.

aQ2jEDR.png

And this one was made ~month ago for the People's Doom. This beauty shaded, colored and looking good overall, therefore have all it need to be good looking sprite.

Edited by Wereknight

"please do some practice at drawing before even trying" is not really constructive criticism though... and it's not even accurate (you don't automatically get good at pixel art by just practicing drawing a bit before submitting something, which I'm quite sure he already did).

As an attempt at constructive criticism: I'd say the shotgun surface is too blurry. You can spray, blur and smudge shading in higher res cartoony drawings, but not on low res pixelated graphics that are meant to be sharp, it washes out the details. The techniques that might work for one thing do not necessarily work for the other. Doom has also a limited color palette so your gradients would not look the same in-game. The graphic style currently used in Freedoom is not matching the style in your shotgun, it's meant to be more detailed.

However, the chaingunner was actually an improvement over the current one Freedoom has, it keeps the level of detail.

@D4RKP1G, why not complete the individual frames for it and retouch them like you did the front walking animation? I think that one would get included.

Edited by Ferk

5 hours ago, Ferk said:

However, the chaingunner was actually an improvement over the current one Freedoom has, it keeps the level of detail.

@D4RKP1G, why not complete the individual frames for it and retouch them like you did the front walking animation? I think that one would get included.

Im really indecisive about the new chaingunner sprites... I'm gonna stick whit this..

image.png

of of course it isnt finished, but I thought of him as this:

A black zombies marine whit a red suit, welding a chaingun, is that accurate enough?

i made him black because of the original doom sprites and also because we need a black zombie

and made him red because I got inspired by the doom 64 chaingunner fan-made sprites.

well... I've noticed that the first shotgun sprite is not the same as the recharging animation, you can't see the holes from the barrel... or the cube thing at the front. So I've made this... Looks nice?

image.png

If you'll look at reload sprites you'll see that upper part of barrel have sharp-ish edges close to center. Try to make it look that way.

On 8 de mayo de 2019 at 11:13 AM, Wereknight said:

If you'll look at reload sprites you'll see that upper part of barrel have sharp-ish edges close to center. Try to make it look that way.

Its supposed to look like it?, isn't it noticeable?

On 5/10/2019 at 5:28 AM, Wereknight said:

No

I don't get what you're saying?

you can edit it to show what I'm wrong at.

Edited by D4RKP1G

On 4/27/2019 at 3:51 PM, D4RKP1G said:

image.png 

Really like how the new chaingunner's looking, it looks like a modern version of the older sprite which is something I appreciate.

On 22 de mayo de 2019 at 9:06 AM, rtwix said:

Really like how the new chaingunner's looking, it looks like a modern version of the older sprite which is something I appreciate.

Well... I've been making a real shotgun, based on the actual shotgun. Take a look

image.jpg

What's with all that desire to replace the current shotgun? I think Sodaholic/Blastfrog did a fine job with the current one. If we ever want a replacement badly (which I'm not sure why we should because Soda's shotgun was made specifically for the project by digitising a photo of a real prop/toy gun, just like the original Doom's shotgun), we can just straight use Eriance's version after removing the UAC logo from it (like it was done to the Super Shotgun and the BFG).

There's still quite a lot of art in Freedm that is in a real, objective need for improvement, wouldn't it be better to direct the efforts towards those assets?

Like, the improved Combat Slug sprite sheet is still incomplete, same with Haaslok's circular saw (which looked really good IMO), the Archvile replacement is still in limbo as well AFAIK. In fact, there was a lot of stuff that was started but never completed. The Arachnotron could use some polishing too, just like the slug.

imo I don't like the current shotgun, simply because of the lever thing it has... but I'll stop whit it now...

ive been working more whit the chaungunner sprites, and new death animations 

image.png

image.png

And his front walk frames..

image.png

Good to see new sprites for the chaingunner. I hope the current one is replaced with your version in the future because the current one looks too much like the player sprite