Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NationwideMoose

What would be the perfect Doom 2 FFA server?

There is no such thing. The "perfect" ffa is a random combo of maps, player numbers, and people you play with. Wads will only take you so far, and even "bad" wads can be dumb fun once in a while if you're playing with the right people.

Decay is right.

For me personally though, the 25th anniversary compilation is still one of my favorite wads to play since it has a little taste of everything:

http://doomshack.org/wads/25th_dm_60maps.zip

Of course, there are some other great and not-so great wads that are fun to play:

https://doomshack.org/recommended.html

As far as settings, as long as god-awful respawn protection is turned off, I'm content!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

As far as settings, as long as god-awful respawn protection is turned off, I'm content! 

Gotta get those sick spawn frag streaks! ;-)

I actually agree though. I hate it when someone can kill me but I can't kill them. So, I mostly just hate it when a map/server has any of the following:

• Invulnerabilities, and to a lesser degree invisibility or megaspheres
  • Confusing layout
  • Too much verticality
  • Railguns, and most other custom weapons
  • Trolls
  • Health/ammo pickups without item respawn (for FFA this is less important than for duels, IMO)
  • When everybody is spamming BFG and I don't know where the dang thing is

I made a server with the dwango20 wad. No respawn protection. Health and ammo respawn but major powerups don't. The server is running on a VPS in Dallas so it has fast internet and is centrally located. Crouching and jumping disabled. I left free look and crosshairs up to the player. I'm most satisfied with this setup out of everything I have tried. The maps and midis are awesome.

9 minutes ago, NationwideMoose said:

No respawn protection. Health and ammo respawn but major powerups don't. Crouching and jumping disabled. I left free look and crosshairs up to the player.

This is my favorite way to play classic DM as well, perfect settings.