Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2019 Mentionation Thread

On 12/21/2018 at 2:08 PM, Woolie Wool said:

Eviternity, for sure. IMO the best megawad since BTSX E2. Absolutely fantastic in every way.

I am currently on Map 05 of Eviternity (yea, I'm a late bloomer playing this WAD, but I had to finish Avactor first LOL!). and I remember about 3 Maps into this game, I was thinking the exact same thing ("the best megawad since BTSX E2").

On 12/17/2018 at 10:16 PM, ReaperAA said:

+++ Eviternity (didn't play yet but just from the videos/pics it looks awesome)

+++ Refracted Reality (eye candy/ yummy pics)

+++ Deathless (pure old schooly/ classic)

I will also like to add Hurt to this list.

+++ Hurt (The most beautiful map ever made with vanilla-only textures)

So Tech Gone Bad won over Ancient Aliens. Does that mean Sigil is going to be ranked over Eviternity?

I kinda think Eviternity should get #1, but then again what about OTEX getting its own award? It would feel weird if Sigil won #1 and also won a multiplayer award, for example.

Also, last year there were like ZERO awards for projects using vanilla assets. And this being what id is calling 'the year of DOOM'... maybe they should generally weighted heavier?

Is NOYE a jokewad? Because I really like puzzles and platforming and surfing on former humans.

/2cents

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

33 minutes ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

won over

ranked over

This isn't how it works. The listings are never in a particular order.

I wanted to mention Secret Energy by @Paul977 but I realized it was released in november 2018. So it will be Eviternity because it's the only megawad released in 2018-2019 I played this year for now and it was really good.

12 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

I thought they were in a sort of category order (megawads, single maps, etc). Maybe they should be in alphabetical order to avoid confusion and speculations

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

No way! It does seem like with the three page format that the first page is above the second page. Well I learned something today.

19 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Cacowards are only for doom wads/mods/Total Conversions. Prodeus has nothing to do with doom

I would assume he was just making a joke about how similar its style/gameplay are to Doom.

4 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

I would assume he was just making a joke about how similar its style/gameplay are to Doom.

It could be a joke but I am not sure. Go read his comments on last page ;)

9 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

So Tech Gone Bad won over Ancient Aliens. Does that mean Sigil is going to be ranked over Eviternity?

Even if like Eris Falling said that there is no particular order, I still hope that doesn't happen because people usually consider something written higher in the cacowards to be the superior. I was slightly disappointed when Tech Gone Bad was listed above Ancient Aliens and i'll be disappointed again if Sigil gets listed above Eviternity.

Also I agree that OTEX should get a separate reward of its own.

But, there were 11 main Cacowards that year -- Tech Gone Bad didn't take away from any other DOOM mod that year, and it was listed first likely because of the impact of John Romero dropping a new map on the community, not because the map itself was better than what else was in the Cacowards that year.

5 minutes ago, Kroc said:

But, there were 11 main Cacowards that year -- Tech Gone Bad didn't take away from any other DOOM mod that year, and it was listed first likely because of the impact of John Romero dropping a new map on the community, not because the map itself was better than what else was in the Cacowards that year.

I understand that Tech Gone Bad was only listed above because of Romero's impact, not because of superiority. But like I said, there ARE people how consider something written higher in the cacowards to be the superior.

For this reason, I personally want Sigil should be in special category of its own. So that it doesn't make other quality community wads like Eviternity to look inferior compared to it in public eyes.

9 hours ago, Roofi said:

I wanted to mention Secret Energy by @Paul977 but I realized it was released in november 2018. So it will be Eviternity because it's the only megawad released in 2018-2019 I played this year for now and it was really good.

November of the last year is where the grace period begins, so no harm. 

37 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I understand that Tech Gone Bad was only listed above because of Romero's impact, not because of superiority. But like I said, there ARE people how consider something written higher in the cacowards to be the superior.

For this reason, I personally want Sigil should be in special category of its own. So that it doesn't make other quality community wads like Eviternity to look inferior compared to it in public eyes.

Another possibility: it makes sense structurally to place a special award either at the start or end, regardless of all other factors. The choice between those two spots might then be based on suitability as a hook vs. as a closer.

Edited by rdwpa

Has anyone here tried Zagemod by silentzora? It's a gameplay mod which started as a QoL enhancer for Doom 1 but evolved to add multiple player classes and weapons based on different id games and source ports. For a mod which adds so much from so many different games it's remarkably visually consistent and well-balanced. Not 100% sure if it would qualify for this year's Cacowards since it first released in mid-2018 but it's still being actively developed and it's very, very good. Just figured I should give it a shout-out. :)

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60436

+++ Verdant Citadel

A terrific map which came out of nowhere (all the better) and it uses the advanced features very well imo without hindering the gameplay.