Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Watched Event Horizon in it's entirety a few days ago. I've seen bits and pieces of it, and there are people around this site that say it's the most Doom-like movie ever made. I really don't see that. It's not a bad movie, but it's not great. It's good. But it doesn't strike me as a Doom movie. It's more of a Silent Hill in space; it relies more on psychological terror than physical threats.

But yeah, it's not a bad movie. I enjoyed it, but it's not a Doom movie; you could argue that it would make a good precursor to a Doom movie, but it's not Doom. The only other problem I had with it is that I always think of Cowboy Curtis when I see Laurence Fishburne. He's a great actor, and he generally delivers a fantastic performance... but to me he'll always be Cowboy Curtis.

11 hours ago, Jello said:

Watched Event Horizon in it's entirety a few days ago. I've seen bits and pieces of it, and there are people around this site that say it's the most Doom-like movie ever made. I really don't see that. It's not a bad movie, but it's not great. It's good. But it doesn't strike me as a Doom movie. It's more of a Silent Hill in space; it relies more on psychological terror than physical threats.

But yeah, it's not a bad movie. I enjoyed it, but it's not a Doom movie; you could argue that it would make a good precursor to a Doom movie, but it's not Doom. The only other problem I had with it is that I always think of Cowboy Curtis when I see Laurence Fishburne. He's a great actor, and he generally delivers a fantastic performance... but to me he'll always be Cowboy Curtis.

I always felt Screamers was the most Doom like movie ever made. I don't see Event Horizon being like Doom. Maybe Hell Raiser in space or something. I still like it.

Watched Stalker (1979) by Andrei Tarkovsky. Instantly fell in love with it. I imagine younger viewers will find it boring (nearly 3 hours long, with a very slow pace), but the visuals and the philosophical arguments make it great. Really recommended. I'm looking forward to watching some of Tarkovsky's other pictures (apart from Mirror, which I've already seen). 

11 hours ago, geo said:

I always felt Screamers was the most Doom like movie ever made. I don't see Event Horizon being like Doom. Maybe Hell Raiser in space or something. I still like it.

So... Hellraiser: Bloodlines? Actually that's more of what it reminded me of, Hellraiser 2 but in space. Kenneth Cranham's character from Hellraiser 2 reminded me quite a bit of Sam Neill's character in Event Horizon.

Cinema: Shazam.  Liked it a lot.

Home video: Mega-Shark vs Kolossus.  All the fun bits are in the trailer.

Pet Cemetery. It was awesome. The second trailer shows way too much. The first trailer is just enough to know what's going on. Jon Lithgow is awesome.

Also... wow there's a lot of killer kid movies hitting theaters. Three within a few months. The Prodigy, some sort of new evil Super Boy movie, and a third.

Saw Overlord, thought it was pretty cool. Standard WWII movie that gradually morphs into something that could fit into Wolfenstein.

I've gone on a bit of a film streak:

Four Lions (2010) - black comedy about incompetent wannabe jihadis. Really funny, and makes for great satire.

Subway (1985) - Besson's second feature film, back when he wasn't bloating his movies with special effects. Being part of the "cinéma du look" movement (a film movement I like quite a bit), it has the usual elements: vibrant use of colour, memorable characters, a nice soundtrack and useless pigs. I liked it quite a bit.

Nikita (1990) - another film by Besson. Pretty good thriller; Anne Parillaud is fantastic as the junkie-turned-assassin, and the film actually takes its time, letting her character "evolve", if you will. I do prefer Subway, though.

Open Water (2003) - most shark films after Jaws are generally pure shite, but this is a pretty good one. Its minimalist approach works out well, focusing more on the emotional aspect of such a situation (being stranded in the middle of the sea), and is suspenseful as hell.

Twilight (don't care about the year) - it's not that I really watched it, it's just that my sister was watching it while I was working on a university project. The bits I actually did watch were, as you can imagine, pure torture.

The Shallows (2016) - was on telly after I watched Open Water, so I thought "why not"? Pretty cliché in parts, but Blake Lively drives the film from forgettable to watchable. It's alright…

High Plains Drifter (1973) - really good Western. A good allegory for collective guilt. I can't imagine a film like this being made today (I'm looking at a few scenes in particular).

The Mission (1986) - Roland Joffé's second film. I really loved The Killing Fields, and this one, while not nearly as good, is watchable enough. Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro have great chemistry and their conflict in believable. The ending battles are poorly choreographed, sadly. The film looks brilliant, though, and is worth watching for the visuals alone.

True Romance (1993) - rewatched this great film by Tony Scott. Thanks to a script by Quentin Tarantino, we get great characters, great set-pieces, an amazing final shootout, and pop-culture references galore. I love it.

Duel (1971) - also rewatched this, being that it's honestly my favourite film of all time. Fab chase scenes, good psychological tension, good acting, etc.

Saw Shazam earlier today. Wasn't really into it. I found the lead character to be kind of a jerk and hard to relate to. The stuff with the foster family was kind of heartwarming. Overall, it was just alright. 

The apartment building that Billy's mother lived in. I've partied there with a good friend a couple of times. 

Watched The Man Who Killed Don Quixote a few days ago. It was good, if not poorly edited. I've been waiting for Terry Guilliam's Don Quixote movie for 20 years now, and he was working on it for 30 years. What it ended up being is exactly what it should be. It's a really good movie, and it tried to reach for the stars and fell short. With 30 years of rewrites and failures, it only makes sense that it's muddled. And that makes it the perfect Don Quixote film. I would recommend seeing it, it's a great movie, but it's a movie filled with confusion, a movie that drives on with an incredible lack of direction or sense. And I really just love Terry Gilliam's artistic design.

That being said, I think The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was better. 

Avengers Endgame.

Fitting conclusion to this phase of MCU, a bit slow paced but then it's a 3h movie so that was expected. Let's see what new heroes will be introduced in the next phase. Moon Knight is actually planned but he may, or may not be arriving soon, since that can happen in "5, 10, or 15 years". Really hope it's going to be 5, after countless attempts to bring him on the screen but with none of those materializing.

Gonna miss the actors whose contracts had ended for sure.

2692316_0.jpg

Edited by seed

3 hours ago, seed said:

Avengers Infinity War.

Saw that yesterday and quite enjoyed it. I say I'm not into super heroes, then I'll watch a super hero movie and like it. I have a chance to go see End Game for free next week, so I should take that up now that I want to know what happens next.

6 hours ago, Chopkinsca said:

Saw that yesterday and quite enjoyed it. I say I'm not into super heroes, then I'll watch a super hero movie and like it. I have a chance to go see End Game for free next week, so I should take that up now that I want to know what happens next.

Heh, thanks for the reply by the way, just realized I wanted to say Endgame and I said Infinity War lol.

12 hours ago, seed said:

Heh, thanks for the reply by the way, just realized I wanted to say Endgame and I said Infinity War lol.

Oh, I was thinking you meant to say Endgame. Your post makes more sense that way.

Watched a couple more Beineix films.

Moon in the Gutter (1983) - it's a technical masterpiece, but the story is very "been-there-done-that" and the characters' motives are either unexplainable or random. Very uneven as a whole.

Roselyne and the Lions (1989) - this is basically Betty Blue (a film by the same director), only with a circus twist. It's watchable, but the two main characters lack the intense chemistry that "Betty" had. Better than "Moon", and certainly watchable, even at 3 hours, but uneven too.

Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) - AKA Zombi, AKA Zombie 2. Yep, that's right. Anyway, this is a technically sound film: director Fulci's use of zooms and his shot composition is really good. The special effects are top-notch as well. The acting seems fine, but the dubbing can be a bit overbearing, and some of the characters' actions are pretty dumb. Overall though, pretty good. The best scene is a zombie fighting a shark.

I finally saw The Simpsons Movie. It was every bit as good as I thought it would be, i.e., just like a really long episode of the Simpsons. It was really kind of a downer note that I wasn't watching this on the big screen; it would have looked awesome.

Not to spoil anything for anybody else, but it just seemed to me that it was a touch more vulgar than the tv show. In terms of "bad language", The Simpsons is pretty mild when you compare it to the 2010's television, but it's still kind of surprising to me when they cross one of those boundaries; I remember it was kind of shocking when Ned Flanders had his first flip out in the television series; A lashing out against his hippie parents. We're talking about a tv show that early on got a lot of bad press for saying things 'sucked' or telling people to 'get bent'. The audience had to laugh at Bill Cosby's show until it took a lower spot in the ratings. So people hung an onion on their belt, which was the style at the time, and learned to drink their cares away with a big Duff beer. I don't these new offenses are the final outrage for The Simpsons. 

All these things considered equal, I recommend this movie to fans of the show, and to any newcomers. Fans will be delighted with tongue in check musings at the differences between the show and the silver screen. Newcomers will get to see a really great movie; Visually stunning, relevant comic wit, and a lot of Doh.

The Running Man. It still holds up well to this day, the entire concept is pretty brilliant. And BTW...

Spoiler

Buzzsaw's death is fucking hilarious, that scream he does kills what should've been a very gruesome death.

A few days ago I saw Detective Pikachu. I'm not really into Pokemon anymore, but I really enjoyed this. It was funny, charming, well-acted, and had some solid action sequences. 

Last night I felt like watching Blade Runner for maybe the 5th time. I'm going to have to see 2049 for the second time pretty soon, as I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. 

I saw some weird movies Pink FlamingosCaligula and the most creepy film - Faces of Death.

Now I've seen everything.

Habfürdő (Foam Bath, 1980)

A Hungarian animated film that takes as much advantage of its' medium as possible, with characters changing model to reflect their emotions.

It is also known for being the worst-performing film in the country of all times, ending the directors' career before it even started.

Here is the full version of it on youtube with subs:

Viy.

Russian or Ukranian "horror" film that was barred fron export by the Soviet Union for quite a few years. It was a rather old film that has a rather epic scene near the end.

Starting to get into avant-garde / experimental cinema, so what better to start with than Un chien andalou (1929), by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dalí. This film is filled with great imagery (of course, there's the eye with the razor) and it's really bizarre to say the least. I suppose it's dream-logic, and the film explores human creativity or something? That's my take. In any case, it's really worth a watch. You can find it on YouTube easily.

Hard Boiled.

Ah, glorious Asian action and gunplay. Good stuff.

Fist of Fury.

Bruce Lee delivers once again, I've only seen Enter the Dragon and Way of the Dragon before, and this one is just as good as hey are, but the video and audio quality are significantly worse than both. Let's see what I'm gonna watch next now, definitely want more of Bruce Lee, and action stuff a la Hard Boiled.

On 6/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, seed said:

Fist of Fury.

Bruce Lee delivers once again, I've only seen Enter the Dragon and Way of the Dragon before, and this one is just as good as hey are, but the video and audio quality are significantly worse than both. Let's see what I'm gonna watch next now, definitely want more of Bruce Lee, and action stuff a la Hard Boiled.

Good movies. I have those on VHS i believe, in a bin somewhere (unless i sold those). 

I haven't been watching any movies lately but i just wanted to say that Bruce Lee and his son Brandon Lee rule. May they both R.I.P.