Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barefootstallion

Old Science-Fiction Movies

I thought we might try to list some of our favorites from years past.  When I say 'years past', I mean movies from the 40s, 50s and 60s.  It might also help us find movies we saw way back when and want to see again, but because it's been so long since we saw them, we can't remember their titles!

Me for instance.  I remember seeing this old science-fiction movie from way back when I was very young.  6 or 7 kind of young - which would have put it back in the early 70s when I saw it.  The movie was on syndication rerun even then.  Anyway, it was about this guy stranded on a planet (I think) and these weird, light-post-like things kept appearing.  He was afraid of them and trying to escape them.  If anybody knows the title of this old film, I'd love to be able to get my mitts on it.

Anyway, my favorite movie from back in that era is Forbidden Planet.

So what about the rest of us?  Got any movies you love from back then?  Any you'd love to be able to get the titles to again?  Let's have some fun reminiscing!

I'm too young to name movies from the 50s or 60s. Do the 80s also count? :o

If you're going that far back, you've obviously got to mention 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Going forward a little further, I liked stuff like Rollerball as well, but that's 1975.

4 hours ago, elend said:

I'm too young to name movies from the 50s or 60s. Do the 80s also count? :o

LOL!  I suppose so!  The eighties was when I was in my early adulthood.  Even so, I was only born in 1964.  That being the case, though, I grew up with stuff that came out in the 40s, 50s and 60s - they would rerun on like Saturday afternoon and stuff, in blocks entitled 'Science-Fiction Theater' or some such.  But heh, if you got some favs from the eighties, I suppose they could be added to our list.  So hehe, list away!

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

If you're going that far back, you've obviously got to mention 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Going forward a little further, I liked stuff like Rollerball as well, but that's 1975.

Oh yes, goodness.  2001: A Space Odyssey.  But oh god what a boring movie.  Beautiful, yes, but boring. :P

Also, never saw Rollerball.  Suppose I'll have to add it to the list of movies I need to see.

Thanks, guys!

A classic from the 70s would be Logan's Run.

I would have mentioned Forbidden Planet if you hadn't already beat me to it.  It stars Leslie Neilson before he started doing comedy.

Planet of the Apes and its sequels

Omega Man

Fantastic Voyage

On 4/29/2019 at 7:42 PM, Barefootstallion said:

I thought we might try to list some of our favorites from years past.  When I say 'years past', I mean movies from the 40s, 50s and 60s.  It might also help us find movies we saw way back when and want to see again, but because it's been so long since we saw them, we can't remember their titles!

Me for instance.  I remember seeing this old science-fiction movie from way back when I was very young.  6 or 7 kind of young - which would have put it back in the early 70s when I saw it.  The movie was on syndication rerun even then.  Anyway, it was about this guy stranded on a planet (I think) and these weird, light-post-like things kept appearing.  He was afraid of them and trying to escape them.  If anybody knows the title of this old film, I'd love to be able to get my mitts on it.

Anyway, my favorite movie from back in that era is Forbidden Planet.

So what about the rest of us?  Got any movies you love from back then?  Any you'd love to be able to get the titles to again?  Let's have some fun reminiscing!

Ironically, Forbidden Planet is Leslie Nielsen's best-known non-comedic role.  Everyone knows him for all those spoof movies, like Naked Gun, yet he ends up in one of the most iconic sci-fi movies of all time.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:39 AM, Barefootstallion said:

Also, never saw Rollerball.  Suppose I'll have to add it to the list of movies I need to see.

Just make sure to see the 1975 version. You really do not want to see the remake.

Also watch Death Race 2000.

Hmmm let's see.... Logan's Run and Forbidden Planet already got mentioned. Here is a few that I can think of....

The Thing From Another World (1951)

The War of the Worlds (1953)

Planet of the Apes (1968)

Edited by Doom_Dude

3 hours ago, Ichor said:

Just make sure to see the 1975 version. You really do not want to see the remake.

Counterpoint: the remake is deeply stupid but it's at least less boring than the original.

Death Race 2000 is amazingly awesome, though.  We agree about that.

My favorites in this genre would be Planet of the Apes, Flash Gordon, and one that hasn't been mentioned yet: The Day of the Triffids (1962).

Since I'm 85 million years old, I have ever so many to list. I can separate them into categories; Actually Brilliant Films, Fun Classics, and So Bad They're Good. So let's go!

Actually Brilliant Films. (I haven't seen these in ages, so probably some of them aren't really brilliant, but . . .)

2001:A Space Odyssey, 1968 (IMO the greatest science fiction film ever made)

Forbidden Planet, 1956

The Illustrated Man, 1969

Fahrenheit 451, 1966

The Time Machine, 1960

The Day The Earth Stood Still, 1951

The War of The Worlds, 1953

Planet of the Apes, 1968

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1957

Colossus:The Forbin Project, 1970

Fun Classics

The Creature From The Black Lagoon, 1954

The Black Scorpion, 1957

Invasion of the Saucer Men, 1957

Them!, 1954

The Thing From Another World, 1951

This Island Earth, 1955

One Million Years B. C., 1966 

The Lost World, 1960

The Valley of Gwanji, 1969

20 Million Miles to Earth, 1957

Tarantula, 1955

The Mole People, 1956

The Amazing Colossal Man, 1959

The Giant Gila Monster, 1959

The Deadly Mantis, 1957

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, 1953

So Bad They're Good

Plan 9 From Outer Space, 1959 (Ranked as "The Worst Film Ever Made," yet hilarious and fun to watch)

From Hell It Came, 1957 (Tribesman is killed in power play, comes back as vengeful walking tree monster)

The Killer Shrews, 1959 (As played by saber-toothed German Shephards)

Robot Monster, 1953 (As played by a guy in a gorilla suit wearing a diving helmet)

The Angry Red Planet, 1959 (Famous for the giant bat-spider)

It Conquered The World, 1956 (Angry carrot monster attacks Earth)

Fiend Without A Face, 1958 (People are attacked by invisible enemies that turn out to be flying brain monsters)

Any "So Bad They're Good" list that doesn't include The Beast of Yucca Flats is seriously incomplete. :)

Also, hehe, The Brain That Wouldn't Die. That was a waaaaay bad movie!

Edit In: Also, 4D Man.  I got it last night and watched it.  And gawd!  Was it ever bad! XD

Edited by Barefootstallion : Adding additional additionals!

19 hours ago, Ichor said:

Also watch Death Race 2000.

You also really do not want to see the Death Race remake.

25 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

You also really do not want to see the Death Race remake.

There is an actual sequel to the original called Death Race 2050 (also made by Corman). It was made only a couple of years ago, but it follows the original theme and it's definitely better than those remakes.