Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Base Ganymede

46 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Streaming would mean nothing unless there's a hand camera, fyi. Anyone can just as easily stream a pre-recorded run.

Not really. With most streams it's safe to say the gameplay isn't pre-recorded just because there's some degree of interaction with the chat, even if just pausing momentarily to answer things. You don't necessarily need to go all the way to "I need a stream of his hands on the keyboard or it could be all fake".

With all that being said, I really hope that this demo format doesn't change completely to a stream exclusive session because of this specific, particular situation. Some folks don't have the specs to do it, yet, they want to post their demos and, I personally enjoy doing those demos for fun and also, to polish my skills even further...

6 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

With all that being said, I really hope that this demo format doesn't change completely to a stream exclusive session because of this specific, particular situation. Some folks don't have the specs to do it, yet, they want to post their demos and, I personally enjoy doing those demos for fun and also, to polish my skills even further...

This please.

All the worse if we'd be forced to have a camera on the keyboard or whatever, I'm not going to do that.

I agree with leodoom and seed. I enjoy participating in DWIL, but I won't (for a number of reasons) if DWIL becomes a stream-only competition. I agree that integrity in competitions is important, but there has to be a limit, especially for a competition where the only reward is essentially a pat on the back from Alfonzo at the end of the year.

Way back in July, 2016, in the inaugural edition of DWIL, the statement was made "not everyone is comfortable with streaming; demos will be accepted." I think that this statement still holds. While there are clearly people that stream (Britbowlers and others) as part of the DWIL, I wonder how requiring streaming would impact participation? The effect on the number of participants might be negligible, but I think it more likely that a number of people would choose to not participate in this competition, especially if more draconian streaming requirements were introduced.

I haven't taken part in the Ironman stuff for a while due to other commitments (and being lazy), however do feel the need to air my view on this.

I don't know how anything competitive can carry on using the demo format. There is nothing stopping anyone from bringing any IM run or speed run in the archives into disrepute. The format is open to abuse and of course TAS is an issue as well.

4 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Not really. With most streams it's safe to say the gameplay isn't pre-recorded just because there's some degree of interaction with the chat, even if just pausing momentarily to answer things. You don't necessarily need to go all the way to "I need a stream of his hands on the keyboard or it could be all fake".

For someone that is cheating I don't think interaction with the chat is any kind of evidence. This has been done before in other games - streaming pre-recorded runs and faking it live (including personal reactions and interaction with the chat).

However as archi mentioned on the discord, you could ask the streamer to do a 180 or something to confirm its live, which would be definitive.

8 minutes ago, Liberation said:

The format is open to abuse

So is streaming, because nothing is stopping people from using "playback". Putting the format of demos in question solves nothing and says nothing.

9 minutes ago, Liberation said:

TAS is an issue as well

It is only an issue if used such that it fools the viewer, and it's also a vastly different thing when opened in a demo editor... Main reason people have been caught cheating is because we had the demos at the time.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Putting the format of demos in question solves nothing and says nothing.

Considering we have had 2 incidents in recent memory of demos being questioned, but no streams as of yet, I beg to differ.

I'll concede on the TAS point, fair enough.

29 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

It is only an issue if used such that it fools the viewer, and it's also a vastly different thing when opened in a demo editor... Main reason people have been caught cheating is because we had the demos at the time.

22 minutes ago, Liberation said:

I'll concede on the TAS point, fair enough.

I think the TAS-detection capabilities are being overblown here. Re-recording can result in conclusive anomalies if you inspect the inputs in an editor, but if you're careful and only join the demo when there aren't any inputs happening, for example, it's completely undetectable.

13 minutes ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

you've lost what respect I had for you

sucks when that happens doesn't it?

EDIT: deleted a stupid post by myself

Edited by NaZa

@ReaperAA

Nah, sometimes art deserves to be appreciated and the creator thanked for their contribution to history.

I will say, Bloodite's comparisons to things like J4rio's previously thought to be impossible Tyson runs doesn't hold up. Those are the culmination of countless failed runs. Where as ironman is supposed to be a singular attempt. That is where the contention comes from. Someone being able to pull off an insane feat through constant struggle and attempts is a lot different than consistently performing at that level on single attempts, often supposedly blind.

Bravo guys. Now let me buy some popcorn to do the demos later and eat it, if I have enough time that is...

Just now, Rimantas said:

People are funny. :)

Sorry for jumping to another topic, but your demo doesn't work on my side. If you still have your demo, can you please tell me the total time that elapsed the moment you beat E1M4? Thanks.

26 minutes ago, loveless said:

We've got a defensive wall of text, finely crafted with language seething pure anger telling us how much one doesn't care.  

Sounds like a lot of caring, though.

My thoughts exactly. Often those who claim they don't care probably care the most. Oh the irony.

Just now, Rimantas said:

@NaZa I recorded it with Eternity Engine dev build. https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/eternity/

It's pretty long demo. I downloaded it now from thread and will rewatch it now. But i don't know how to check total time.

Yes, I have trouble watching Eternity demos on my end for some reason. You can check total time on the intermission screen, below level time.

ToD recorded a video of himself playing "Subtle Shun." This is a screenshot from that video.

image.png.d976eb4aef8301bdc1b806e97d5c91c5.png

This is what the entire video looks like--all you see is ToD's hands, mouse, keyboard, and monitor. (You also hear him talking and hear the TV in the background, but that is immaterial to this point--sound wouldn't really be necessary.)

It seems to me that this would be the only way to ensure that there is not cheating--by forcing participants to record a video of themselves playing the level. No multiple cameras, no starting up a playback, just start up the video, show yourself loading the game, show yourself setting any compatibility levels, etc., and show yourself playing. If you want to be very overbearing, record yourself loading the demo that you just made and play it back.

I predict that if this were to be required, the level of participation would be slashed significantly. There might be a few people who would do this, but I doubt it would be more than a few. But for those that are really concerned about cheating through demos and streams, this would alleviate their concerns.

Of course, this would still not keep people from lying about whether the run was Category 1, 2, or 3. So, even with this very draconian requirement for a very specific type of video recording, there would still be an element of the honor system. For example, someone could still be accused of having prepared for what they claimed was a "blind" run.

1 minute ago, NaZa said:

Yes, I have trouble watching Eternity demos on my end for some reason. You can check total time on the intermission screen, below level time.

You can't see the time elapsed on automap like in PR/GLBoom+?

That kinda sucks.

6 minutes ago, NaZa said:

What's the issue you have with demo playback? I can try look into it when I get back to working on EE proper.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that handcams or streams become the norm. Just that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

With something like standard speedrunning you have thousands upon thousands attempts so skill ends up shining through at the end because you end up with an average of all the items skill can't control for.

With the ironman runs, particularly blind ironman runs, the things that skill can't control for become a lot more of a factor. There are plenty of things in doom that qualify as 'random bullshit' that can end even the most skilled of runs. Avoiding this pitfall in 1 of your 100 attempts that you happen to post is believable. Doing it in 28 of your 30 attempts is much, much less. This is the critical component of Zeromaster's protest.

This isn't simply someone being really good at Doom, it's someone being improbably lucky in a way that's increasingly unlikely as it continues to happen. And if the response to this is to drop the dramatic-reading-of-the-year candidate and accuse Zeromaster of all people of jealousy, that's not exactly a good look.