Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Akeldama - Now on Idgames!

4 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I'm having the same gzbd bug fix issue I was having before, it won't even attempt to start so I'm not even sure if I can fix it and get it working in time since I'm not entirely sure why it started working again last time.
If I can't get it working in two or three days, does someone want to take it over, see if it can be finished?

Why not use another version of GZDBuilder? Like this?

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/96943-doom-builder-x-21310-mar17-2018-map-editor-forked-from-db2/

4 hours ago, Сhaingunner said:

I would like to take map14 slot. 

Sure thing, I've got you down for that slot since NaZa is dropping out.

7 hours ago, VGA said:

You know....I forget that there are like four or five different forks of db...
I'll use it for sure, but I am still going to try to do whatever fuckery I used last time to fix bf, thanks sir.
Let's see if I can finish map18 before the due date....

Alrighty, I'm annoyed I haven't seen this till today. So I'm gonna give feedback on the 11 maps for Episode 1 and a map by map basis. I am UV-Maxing all these maps.

Map 01 - Pretty nice visuals, no game breaking bugs, can be UV-Maxed etc. To the author you really hit the ball out of the park with this map.

Map 02 - Took me awhile to finish this UV-Max due to just having a shotgun and chainsaw.. however I couldn't find the 2nd secret, so I'm guessing that secret has a chaingun in it? Because this is the first map I think I've ever played being Map 02 that lacks a chaingun, however this won't be an issue when this wad is compiled and you can progress to the next level from Map 01. Also I like the enemy usage in this map, not too hard but not too easy either, and no Revenants (YAY). So in conclusion, if someone can let me know how to get the second secret I'll come back and edit this feedback.

Map 03 - This map is pretty stunning, nice enemy layout so that's a bonus. I loved the yellow key room (?) great design. However, I'm still not seeing a SSG, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine as I usually like to use the SSG by end of Map 02 start Map 03. But I can understand this wad is a bit different to the wads of the past so it's fine. (Side note: Map 03 uses map04 slot for playing, this should be changed unless the level order isn't final yet.).

Map 04 - A long map I must say but overall it's pretty cryptic (especially with the secrets and hidden enemies). Still no SSG... this map uses map 01 slot when it should be map 04. Nice visuals overall and I was able to UV-Max it.

Map 05 - Filename got fixed so now I can playtest (YAY). Anyway, Map is a bit tight but the direction that the author is going for is fitting and it works well, can't seem to find the SSG in this map though, but come to think of it, I feel it might be part of the difficulty. I love this map, great secrets too. Highly good map.

Map 06 - Finally found the SSG (YAY). However on a serious note, this map is the best I've played so far and is in a perfect map slot. This has great flowing gameplay, all secrets are worth the effort and I like the 'fights' in the secrets that is something I enjoy about Doom 2 as a whole, when map authors do that. Perfect map.

Map 07 - This map is a bit weird in terms of sense of direction and where you're supposed to progress, but overall it's a well balanced map with good secrets and a few puzzles, however there is a couple of missing textures in the mancbui room and the megasphere pick up is pretty anti-climaxtic. Above-Average map.

Map 08 - This is a good map, ammo is not too much or too less, good flow through the level, and a few traps got me off guard. Above-Average map.

Map 09 - Good map, starting to get harder now and the enemy placement is still good. I liked one of the traps in this map. Highly good map.

Map 10 - Short but sharp map, good enemy placement. However this wad name issues appears again. My .bat will not play it so I had play in doom builder.

Map 11 - Bit of a wall of text here so bare with me; well first of all lets go over the map and how it plays, good gameplay!

Love the placement of enemies and ammo is very plenty for a map of this size. Great use of weapons and some good traps.

However, this map is plagued with the bug that is in the screenshots below, not only does it happen on almost every wall or surface, enemies can fall out of the map by walking into these areas. I don't know why this is happening or if it's just PRBOOM+ problem?? But I highly suggest that it gets fixed as that breaks the map and the monster closets'. Above-Average map apart from the bugs shown below.

Spoiler

Game breaking bugs

#1 - 880657235_Bug1.jpg.cfc9ad5cecfa3a8bb9dcbf068e366b3f.jpg

#2 -

1740291631_Bug2.jpg.cc0802de3569510d652a0463353b3c85.jpg

Thank you for releasing this awesome EP1 and I look forward to playing and reviewing Ep2.

Edited by Bob9001

@Bob9001 On that last map, you may have to play it with the resources wad as well.

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed that bit about enemies clipping through walls as well.

1 minute ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

@Bob9001 On that last map, you may have to play it with the resources wad as well.

I have been using the resources wad, it's not an area that's been mapped it's outside the boundries of the map itself. Like you can 'fall' out of the map if you get me.

@Bob9001 (MAP05 Author) not sure why the map wouldn't run, it runs fine through doombuilder. But I went ahead and uploaded a new version, mainly removes some clutter and I changed the filename to DFFMAP05 so it wouldn't be as long, hopefully that fixes the issue for testing

2 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@Bob9001 (MAP05 Author) not sure why the map wouldn't run, it runs fine through doombuilder. But I went ahead and uploaded a new version, mainly removes some clutter and I changed the filename to DFFMAP05 so it wouldn't be as long, hopefully that fixes the issue for testing

Ah thank you good sir! I will go back and have a look at this now :)

Has Episode 1 been compiled into a single file somewhere or do I have to download each map individually?

I now see it has been done so thank you whoever was responsible. :o)

Edited by Korozive

16 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Map 02 - Took me awhile to finish this UV-Max due to just having a shotgun and chainsaw.. however I couldn't find the 2nd secret, so I'm guessing that secret has a chaingun in it? Because this is the first map I think I've ever played being Map 02 that lacks a chaingun, however this won't be an issue when this wad is compiled and you can progress to the next level from Map 01. Also I like the enemy usage in this map, not too hard but not too easy either, and no Revenants (YAY). So in conclusion, if someone can let me know how to get the second secret I'll come back and edit this feedback.

Well it wouldn't be much of a secret if I tell you where the hidden chaingun is ;)

2 hours ago, Philnemba said:

Well it wouldn't be much of a secret if I tell you where the hidden chaingun is ;)

Yeah that's true, but even using the editor I couldn't find it.

@Bob9001 You have to play using the patched version of MAP11; it's included in the first post. When waverider made the map, he used ZokumBSP to overcome the blockmap limit which unfortunately interferes with other ports like ZDoom or PrBoom+ (unless it is set to specific settings). The patched version was put through a regular nodesbuilder to overcome this issue for limit-removing ports as such, although it shouldn't be an issue with GZDoom as far as I'm aware. Somebody else could probably explain the issue better than I can, but the patch is there for those using more advanced ports as opposed to vanilla ports like Chocolate Doom.

@Korozive I was hoping to compile E1 at some point, even though I'm waiting for at least one map to receive an update. I should just compile it as it is anyway just for easier access though for playtesters, so I'll probably look into doing that sooner than later.

18 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

@Bob9001 You have to play using the patched version of MAP11; it's included in the first post. When waverider made the map, he used ZokumBSP to overcome the blockmap limit which unfortunately interferes with other ports like ZDoom or PrBoom+ (unless it is set to specific settings). The patched version was put through a regular nodesbuilder to overcome this issue for limit-removing ports as such, although it shouldn't be an issue with GZDoom as far as I'm aware. Somebody else could probably explain the issue better than I can, but the patch is there for those using more advanced ports as opposed to vanilla ports like Chocolate Doom.

@Korozive I was hoping to compile E1 at some point, even though I'm waiting for at least one map to receive an update. I should just compile it as it is anyway just for easier access though for playtesters, so I'll probably look into doing that sooner than later.

Ah ok, I'll use that patch then, I was under the assumption that it was a GZDoom only patch and wouldn't apply to PRBoom+?

Since we're done with E1, the title should be changed to tell the deadline for E2

@Bob9001: As far as I know there isn't a way to make my map work properly in ZDoom unless you use the patched version. In PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4/2515 there is a workaround though - you have to enable Doom 1.9 compatibility and it should work fine. The reason to why this clipping bug occurs is apparently due to a bug in old MBF code that has carried on to newer version of MBF-based source ports.

GZDoom has this bug fixed and so has Eternity from what I've heard. ZDoom is the only port that I've tested myself that I couldn't get to work properly with my map, but there may be other ports that won't work with it as well. But PRBoom+ with 1.9 comp, GZDoom and all vanilla ports will work with the unpatched version of my map without issues. And if you run into issues with non-vanilla ports that can't be solved by enabling 1.9 comp - you should use the patched version.

This all may sound fiddly and complicated so I guess I should make a poll to see if this solution to have a patch is generally OK or if I should just cut out some rooms to make the map smaller so it would fit within vanilla Doom's original blockmap limit. What ZokumBSP does is to compress the blockmap in a vanilla map so you could add more rooms to it. 

@valkiriforce : Should we make a poll here perhaps to see if I should leave the map as is with one vanilla version and one patch version to see if people are alright with this solution or if I should just cut out the rooms I need to delete to make the map smaller?

Maybe we don't need a poll anyway - what do you guys think about this?

@waverider From a user perspective, I’d say the map should be playable in the simplest, unaltered sourceport that the project is designed for (in this case, vanilla or choc) because the understanding from users is if they use that source, everything will work (unless stated the patch is necessary)

personally, however, I’d never actually play these maps for enjoyment on anything other than gzdoom for ease, so take that as you will.

13 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@waverider From a user perspective, I’d say the map should be playable in the simplest, unaltered sourceport that the project is designed for (in this case, vanilla or choc) because the understanding from users is if they use that source, everything will work (unless stated the patch is necessary)

personally, however, I’d never actually play these maps for enjoyment on anything other than gzdoom for ease, so take that as you will.

Thanks for your input! Yes, my map (the standard, un-patched version) will work with all vanilla-based source ports like Chocolate Doom and also with the original vanilla .exe. 

Ah, guess I misread that, if that's the case and it only doesn't work in PRBoom+ and Zdoom, as long as there is some documentation for users about it, I think its perfectly fine and reasonable to leave it in as-is (assuming no errors in Choc or vanilla).

Question about midi music. As this project is intended for Vanilla so within the pwad file, should the midi be converted to .mus or just keep it as .mid?

Still not made anything new for that e3 map I made from quite long time, I have some new ideas for a abstract style MAP32 (aren't you looking for a similar thing for the secret map?) that will change the map idea I had in origin of "collecting skulls to proceed" with a arch-vile jump or some other strange gameplay quirk revolving the map... What do you think?

15 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Ah, guess I misread that, if that's the case and it only doesn't work in PRBoom+ and Zdoom, as long as there is some documentation for users about it, I think its perfectly fine and reasonable to leave it in as-is (assuming no errors in Choc or vanilla).

Yeah I got word from the maker of ZokumBSP that these blockmap compressed methods have been throughoutly tested to work with all vanilla ports. Additionally the unpatched (standard) version should work with all ports that doesnt inhabit this MBF bug. And if not, the patched version is required.

The patched version for MBF ports will not work with vanilla ports though, as it will crash such ports. So the patch should only be used if one encounters the clipping bug. I have all the faith that valkiriforce will do a great job with the documentation. Since I've not had any outright protests about this patch business so far - just questions then maybe I should leave this decision up to him if I should leave this as is or reduce the map size.

21 hours ago, Gothic said:

Since we're done with E1, the title should be changed to tell the deadline for E2

Yikes; don't know how that slipped under the radar for so long, and yet we're nearly up to the deadline in a week. Fixed!

16 hours ago, pcorf said:

Question about midi music. As this project is intended for Vanilla so within the pwad file, should the midi be converted to .mus or just keep it as .mid?

I would just keep it in .mid format since it works just fine in chocolate doom and other vanilla ports. Thanks for the map submission by the way; I've updated the first post to include it.

Speaking of midis I think now would be a good time to start getting some musicians involved with the project. I'm hoping for all 32 maps to have an original soundtrack since that tends to be the preferred method. Of course if we don't see as many contributions we could go the way of MM1 and just have a few tracks get reused at different points in the megwad, but we'll see about getting people involved first.

You need music, eh? Let me see what I can do, I've been meaning to compose some more "old-school" feeling tracks. Would you be able to send a compiled file of all the maps, to make it easier for me and other composers to pick maps to write for? Let us know which ones have original tracks of their own included already as well. Thanks!

Edited by AD_79

22 hours ago, waverider said:

Thanks for your input! Yes, my map (the standard, un-patched version) will work with all vanilla-based source ports like Chocolate Doom and also with the original vanilla .exe. 

Ok following your advice using comp-level 2 (Doom 1.9 Compatability) I managed to get the map to work without bugs. By the way.. it's still a good map with this oversight, I loved playing it.

Made some additional texture changes and slight edits to my map

^ Is it the same as the download link from the front page? I'd like to post the compiled E1 wad but I'd like to include your update before doing so.