Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arbys550

In the Doghouse - WIP Boom Megawad - (22 Maps So Far)

Well, sounds cool, but maybe you could include couple screenshots of finished maps? It would get more attention.

Edit: seems there are screenshots, but hidden under spoilers.

Also, have you tried Doom builder x? This one is updated and maintained fork of doom builder 2 and it should run better than original, 6-7 years not updated version. 

Edited by Misty

7 minutes ago, Misty said:

Well, sounds cool, but maybe you could include couple screenshots of finished maps? It would get more attention.

Edit: seems there are screenshots, but hidden under spoilers.

Also, have you tried Doom builder x? This one is updated and maintained fork of doom builder 2 and it should run better than original, 6-7 years not updated version. 

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Also I'm new to the doomworld community. Should I not have screenshots under spoilers? I didn't want to force everyone to scroll through them.

1 minute ago, Archie550 said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Also I'm new to the doomworld community. Should I not have screenshots under spoilers? I didn't want to force everyone to scroll through them.

It depends, I have nothing against screenshots behind spoilers, but some can get confused like me. Here, link into builder thread:

I played about 2.5 maps. Seems like a great start. The action seems pretty well polished. Visually, the maps are very bare. Map 03 is extremely monotonous, despite effort clearly having gone into its geometry. Much luck on your project.

12 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I played about 2.5 maps. Seems like a great start. The action seems pretty well polished. Visually, the maps are very bare. Map 03 is extremely monotonous, despite effort clearly having gone into its geometry. Much luck on your project.

okay thanks! ill work on adding more detail

2 hours ago, Archie550 said:

okay thanks! ill work on adding more detail

They just seem a bit monotone, i suggest just changing up the textures a bit and then just adding a little bit of detail and you'll be alright :)

4 hours ago, SOSU said:

They just seem a bit monotone, i suggest just changing up the textures a bit and then just adding a little bit of detail and you'll be alright :)

okay ill work on adding more variety

A lot of people have been asking on Bridgeburner's stream if this is the wad he is playing, and it is, however, this thread is VERY outdated, the project isn't even in the same compatibility anymore. Please wait for the next update before downloading, thanks!

It's going to be a long, long time. I am a slow/lazy mapper and I have 16/32 maps done. It takes me a couple months just to churn out 1 map. Maybe I'll release a demo for people to play

23 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

It's going to be a long, long time. I am a slow/lazy mapper and I have 16/32 maps done. It takes me a couple months just to churn out 1 map. Maybe I'll release a demo for people to play

This is a decent idea. Dash went for this approach with Doom Zero, releasing a six map demo before release

I loved the midi choosen for this lol There's even some Calling All Station tracks haha

Very impressive pics, I'll try to take a look

1 minute ago, Deadwing said:

There's even some Calling All Station tracks haha

Yeah call me crazy, but I like that album. "There Must Be Some Other Way" is an underrated gem.

9 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

Yeah call me crazy, but I like that album. "There Must Be Some Other Way" is an underrated gem.

It's not an album that I like, but I made a playlist with the songs that I enjoyed most:

Congo

Alien Afternoon

There Must Be Some Other Way

The Dividing Line

One Man's Fool

One Man's Fool and The Dividing Line are very strong tracks, IMO

31 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

By the way, I noticed that at least in GzDoom, map14 spawns you inside of a coveyor closet.

Crap, I thought I fixed all that. That happens a lot even when I don't move or create a new player start.

Edit: fixed

So here is a bit of feedback for Map10.

I really love the midi and the view. It's surprising how you use only(or mostly) vanilla textures to create such an atomsphere. And the combination of exploration and combat-puzzle gameplay works very well.(probably because most of the fights didn't give me trouble) My favourite ones are the mastermind fight and the finale.

And if there's something I have to complain. I'd say the RL fight is too claustrophobic and mean for my taste, revenants' homing missle can be a major problem especially when you are fighting on a tight ledge. And the BFG fight is kind of disappointing since you can just make the cyberdemon(s) block the bridge and kill everything. The HKs and arch-viles below can be easily dealt with the BFG. But I guess it's not important to make every fight that relentless.

Anyway, this is a good and fun map overall. I'll try other maps because I'm really falling in love with your mapping style.

24 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

So here is a bit of feedback for Map10.

I really love the midi and the view. It's surprising how you use only(or mostly) vanilla textures to create such an atomsphere. And the combination of exploration and combat-puzzle gameplay works very well.(probably because most of the fights didn't give me trouble) My favourite ones are the mastermind fight and the finale.

And if there's something I have to complain. I'd say the RL fight is too claustrophobic and mean for my taste, revenants' homing missle can be a major problem especially when you are fighting on a tight ledge. And the BFG fight is kind of disappointing since you can just make the cyberdemon(s) block the bridge and kill everything. The HKs and arch-viles below can be easily dealt with the BFG. But I guess it's not important to make every fight that relentless.

Anyway, this is a good and fun map overall. I'll try other maps because I'm really falling in love with your mapping style.

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll make the bridge wider on the BFG fight. As for the claustrophobia, I'm probably gonna keep it, cause I like fights were you have to carve out a space with the RL.

2 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll make the bridge wider on the BFG fight. As for the claustrophobia, I'm probably gonna keep it, cause I like fights were you have to carve out a space with the RL.

btw, I originally thought Map32 will be a platforming map 'cause that sounds exactly like what you will make. But... well, you got me there. It's a shame that the map isn't finished because I just want to collect them all. It would be even funnier if I actually listen to these songs.

Also, I wonder what is the best strategy for Map31 (At least the strategy you used during the playtest) It seems rediculously difficult to even beat the level at least for me.

17 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

btw, I originally thought Map32 will be a platforming map 'cause that sounds exactly like what you will make. But... well, you got me there. It's a shame that the map isn't finished because I just want to collect them all. It would be even funnier if I actually listen to these songs.

Also, I wonder what is the best strategy for Map31 (At least the strategy you used during the playtest) It seems rediculously difficult to even beat the level at least for me.

There's a pretty reliable strategy I was able to figure out for map31. I've been able to max it a few times during testing. As for map32, I'm really excited about it. I think it's gonna turn out great.

So I spent some time playing maps which I'm intersted, here are more feedbacks.

-Map 15

A pretty entertaining combat-puzzle map, thankfully most of the fights are pretty manageable if you know the strategies. I especially love the finale and the secret BFG fight. But I think the secret yellow key fight is a bit too difficult. The arena is really really claustrophobic and even worse than the last time. I had much trouble trying to get the barons and cyberdemons to infight. I guess decreasing the amount of barons might be a good idea. Or it's just because I'm just doing it wrong.

-Map 16

This map is pretty tough. The starting area is probably the hardest section of the map. The mastermind placement is the most nasty one I've ever seen, monsters can't really shoot her because of the walls and she just keeps torturing me until I'm dead. Autoaim and arch-viles make the situation even worse. I suppose it's better to spawn a megasphere to give the player more health rather than spawning a soulsphere and a mega armor, or probably lower the walls a bit (Maybe not because I guess that's intended) The finale is well designed, though it's really overwhelming for my taste.

-Map 17

The idea of hiding entire map in secrets is ok, but I'm really having trouble finding tiny switches, extremely obscure misalignment and such. So I simply ended up finding them in the editor. Maybe make them less obscure. The BFG fight is pretty intersting, but I think it might need more health. Maybe replace soulspheres and armors with megaspheres or just add more megasphere

A little update for anyone who is still following this, there are now 21 maps in the WAD (20 normal + 1 secret). Progress has been slow because of insane ambition and my tendency to put too much detail into a map. For the final 10 maps I'm gonna focus on reeling myself in a little bit and not trying to do a magnum opus every level. Hopefully this will be done within the next couple years.

I am still appreciating feedback, especially on maps 18, 19, and 20. Difficulties are not really implemented yet, I will overhaul them at some point in the future.