Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: ESP 2

ESP2.jpg

What is the DWmegawad Club?

This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! Any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?

Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What levels am I allowed to post about?

Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it’s the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?

Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?

Voting begins on the 25th of the current month. Remember to add one “+++” before your vote to make it easier to count. For example:

+++ Ultimate Doom

Note that you can only nominate up to three separate wads for a single month, and the wads must contain at least three maps each. The winning wad must receive at least four votes for a thread to be made.

----------

>>>DOWNLOAD ESP2 HERE<<<

Strap in for more TimeofDeath shenanigans with ESP2! Brace yourself for an assortment of gameplay styles that no earthly words can accurately describe! WITNESS a sea of BFGs! EXPLORE frightening new angular lands! Have a DRINK with a succubus! This party never ends!

Maplist:

(-complevel 2)

MAP02 - NH666v2 MAP01

MAP03 - NH4 MAP02

MAP04 - NH4 MAP01

MAP05 - NH666v2 MAP02

MAP06 - NH7v4 MAP01

MAP07 - NH7v4 MAP02

MAP08 - NH7v4 MAP03

MAP09 - NH7v4 MAP04

MAP10 - NH3

MAP11 - DMP2017 MAP05

MAP12 - UDINO E4M9

MAP13 - NH5 MAP01

MAP14 - NH5 MAP02

MAP15 - NH5 MAP03

MAP16 - DMP2016 MAP06

MAP18 - TELEDEST (requires ESP218.deh)

(-complevel 9)

MAP20 - 50SHADES MAP16

MAP21 - REALITY03 MAP01

MAP22 - REALITY03 MAP02

MAP23 - DITKD01

MAP24 - DIB2627

(zdoom)

MAP26 - DMP2012 MAP39

MAP27 - DMP2013Z MAP20

MAP28 - DEKUTREE

MAP29 - SQUANE

MAP30 - FLANAGAN

MAP31 - LOINK MAP01

MAP32 - LOINK MAP02

MAP33 - SLUT

MAP34 - DIB28A MAP22

(zdaemon)

MAP36 - RJSLOTH MAP02 (requires ESP2RJ)

MAP37 - RJSLOTH MAP10 (requires ESP2RJ)

BONUS CONTENT

TBA

--------

OLD THREADS

Spoiler

The DWmegawad Club Metathread

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Welp, guess I won't be participating this month heh

(not that I participate very often anyways haha)

Oh yeah , one of my favourite wads. I wrote detailed reviews (in french) of each map month ago. I will be quite short because I'm busy. I recorded UV demos on each map.

http://doomfrance.forumactif.com/t4594p25-ports-multiples-eternal-slumber-party-2

So , I will start with the first level.

Map 01: NH666 M01

Roofi_02.png

DEMO

Difficulty : Hard

The first time I finished this level was in April 2018. This No Health map takes place in a kind of dark red castle. I loved the constrast between the red architecture and dark-blue sky. The level is hard because of its length considering you don't have any item except ammo.

The most notable elements in this level are the large corridors , the little cavern at the east side and also the kind of heliport at the very begininng where it's written "NH666".

However the layout proves to be enough spacious so the gameplay is not luck-based compared to NH666 M02. Nh666 M02 was one of the hardest NH maps I played. M01 was a walk in the park compared to M02.

Alright, people have been voting on this since 3 months ago lol. I've seen Dusted Pandemonic and Timothy Brown play this and the maps look really interesting, and hard. Also love the music in this wad, TimeOfDeath does all of it himself. Probabaly won't get very far but still looking forward to trying.

Yeah this wad can be pretty brutal, but the maps are shorter than the first ESP and should be fine if you save a lot. And remember, all of the NH maps literally have no health at all.

To help get you guys psyched, here's a video of me playing guitar along to the music of ESP2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stg9q6um4DA.

The soundtrack can be downloaded or bought on CD here: https://nostrilcaverns.bandcamp.com/album/spatial-lacerations-2017.

I think I will be lone person to be able to make reviews each day haha.

Indeed , the maps are short. The longest NH maps take 10 minutes on UV-max. There are also some easy and fun slaughtermaps (map from DMP2016 , Flanagan , Squane...).

However , map 34 from ESP2 looks buggy. There is no ammo to kill monsters and some zdoom actions don't trigger. Are there special settings for that map?

4 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Hey cool, NHL playoffs AND esp2 reviews? What a month!

Anyone but the Bruins

And yeah, after an initial run this is a pretty brutal set of maps. I'll try to follow, but it won't be that easy.

I wonder if people will need to be good at 2-shotting Cyberdemons with this mapset or not.

Here we go.

Play Info

Source Port : GZDoom 4.0.0

Difficulty : Hurt Me Plenty. Not like it matters much for now...

Saves : Yes

Restrictions : Pistol start.

MAP 02 – NH666v2 MAP01

Completed : 2019 / 05 / 01

Okay, let me get my bearings: “NH” stands for “No Health”, which I realised after trying an almost saveless run and eating dirt a few times in the eastern cavern section, “v2” stands for “second version”, “MAP01” is “first map of the original set”; I infer “666” is a mark of how evil said mapset is. After last month’s Deadly Standards, this is an abrupt change of pace.

Let’s do this.

After the cyberdemon’s ass opening (TODO: Get good at two-shotting cyberdemons), what struck me with this particular map was the length. A lot of it was retrying sections of the map over and over because I died or worse, had lost too much health for me to continue playing “normally”. Another bit was playing more carefully, a side effect of having only 100 hit points to play with. But in general, this was a longer map than I expected from “No Health”, with the three quadrant sections being a bit more involved than I thought. At the very least, it’s multiple segments of “kill everything and find the switch” instead of one. With the last wave usually featuring arch-viles ready to undo my carnage.

Lots of trouble with the inner southern section, with the two cyberdemons, two cacodemon swarms and three small pillars. Even with doing it one at a time, that section asked for a bit more skill than I’m used to, making sure I didn’t get splashed out of existence while herding the swarm. The western section was trouble too, but mostly because I had nearly no health left and arachnotron plasma hurt. I did finish this map in the end, more out of pure perseverance and a bit of luck, but finished regardless.

One “No Health” map done. If the list in the .txt file is to be trusted, eleven more to go.

A final comment on the music: For maps where I have to play carefully and making sure every move is well thought, this aggressive death metal makes me want to go RHHAAAAHAHGHGHGH W+M1 AND BFG IT ALL, which results in my death most of the time. Clearly a music for the better doomer I should become. :p

Map 03 : NH4 M02

ESP2.wad_MAP03.png

DEMO

Demo infos :

No Save , Pistol Start

Time : 7:35

UV

Map :

Difficulty : Medium

NH04 M02 is a small NH map taking place in a dark cavernous map. I love the mix of white rock and green slime. Also , I like maps where the green liquid doesn't damage the player.

So , the gimmick of this map consist of surviving to waves of enemies in the following order : Zombiemen , imps , HK. You must also kill some chaingunners and viles in intermediary fights near the end. You unlock weapons located in the square rooms at the southern part of the map between each wave. Fighting the HK with the RL is rather complicated because of the cramped layout and the surrounding darkness. I think the best way to survive is to take cover in one of the square rooms (Don't splash yourself by accidentally shooting a rocket on a pedestal !)

The rest is easy even if you have to kill some arch-viles with the BFG. The layout offers a lot of hideouts in order to protect yourself from their attacks. Also , the map ends with a death exit.

I have been interested in trying out the No Health series for a little while now so i guess this is a great opportunity to do that. I have never really done well at keeping up with megawad club posting previously so expect the same here... regardless i will get through what i can. Playing casually on UV (if difficulty settings are even a thing here) with saves, for the sake of my own sanity.

NH666v2 MAP01

Quite a rude awakening here with a somewhat lengthy map! Playing with saves gives you the luxury of when to accept taking minor damage hits vs when to completely redo a fight and get it done perfectly. Having to manage health in this way over many fights does create an interesting dynamic that you rarely encounter. I felt that because i knew what i was getting into with this set, having to play with such a mindset was far more palatable than it would otherwise have been.

After early skirmishes with a pair of cybers and some rev/vile combinations you end up in the water-laden area, where some switch presses present a bunch of flyers, a small rev swarm and a vile approaching from a separate closet. This was the first fight where i felt clear strategy was needed to deal with everything properly and it was highly enjoyable and rewarding to systematically solve and execute the encounter correctly. It was here where i noticed just how dangerous an exploding pain elemental's lost soul cluster can be in terms of sapping your health, a theme which continues throughout the map. Where you can normally be quite nonchalant with getting in the faces of pain elementals, here you have to account for the lost souls and change your approach accordingly to avoid health loss. I thoroughly enjoyed how BFG skill was both expected and rewarded throughout this map, beating fights was highly gratifying because of that. Perhaps the only section i did not have fun with was the clearing out of the arachnotrons through the gaps in the wall towards the end of the map, it felt like you could straight up get annihilated without warning should they decide to immediately open fire upon you.

NH4 MAP02

A much smaller and far more laid back affair here, destroying waves of increasingly dangerous monsters before a final vile wave threatens to undo all your good work. I found this level to be much more camp-happy, like Roofi i took refuge in the weapon closets for most enemy waves and then went on the attack to suppress the viles once BFG equipped.

I do enjoy the angled freeform-drawn layout here (this applies to a lot of later maps as well), a ToD staple that really is quite an impressive mapping feat in itself and creates a lot of cool automap art.

NH4 MAP01

The rev setup immediately shunted in the player's face here is hilariously brutal and i guess the determining factor in beating the map. If you get out of the initial onslaught alive it is generally gg thanks to relatively plentiful cells allowing you to make short work of the following cyberdemons and viles if you deploy some skillful BFG shots (which, again, are always a fun time!).

I wonder if we might be treated to another TimeOfPlays video this month given the subject matter, they always make for fun viewing :)

On 5/1/2019 at 11:46 PM, Suitepee said:

I wonder if people will need to be good at 2-shotting Cyberdemons with this mapset or not.

Maybe you should find out for yourself on stream :)

This wad piqued my interest considering who the creator is, and since I hadn't played anything by ToD outside of the Slaughterfest series I figured I'd give this a shot. I originally wanted to do some demos, but it seems I'm not ready for that yet :D

NH666v2 MAP01 - Starting off with this particular setup pretty much won me over immediately, that combined with the outstanding music and I knew I was in for a good time. I managed to fumble my way through to the dual cyber + caco area saveless, after which I realized I had gotten incredibly lucky with the water / cave area because I kept dying there after that.

I'd say the fight I had the most fun with was the previously mentioned dual cyber + caco courtyard-like area, dodging cyb rockets while maneuvering around cacos in a tight space is pretty fun.

For the last big fight...I share a bit of Scotty's sentiment here, I don't consider myself a particularly skilled player but I couldn't find a way to consistently deal with those Arachnotrons outside unless I sat there at the entrance and spammed them a bit before running out (occasionally I did manage to rush out and go to one side, but I felt that was just down to luck). A pretty neat map overall, I enjoyed it.

MAP 03 – NH4 MAP02

Completed : 2019 / 05 / 01

A shorter map than the last, albeit more concentrated in difficulty. Of all things, the lighting was a big source of trouble on my end, especially with the zombies wave and the imps wave, allowing either monster to hide in plain sight. Troublesome with hitscanners when came time to leave the closet and finish off stragglers. The hell knights swarm was easier to handle, although I disagree a bit with Roofi’s demo; I believe you have to be more aggressive, attack from one direction to lead the knights in, and not hole yourself in the alcove and be attacked from two fronts. Then again, I probably say that because I gibbed myself too many times on the pedestal!

The final part, from the chaingunners to the arch-viles, gave me hell. If you’re not expecting them, the chaingunners are just cruel on a no health map, and the arch-viles just made me panic all the way. Still, that’s another NH done!

Map 04 : NH04 M01

Slade crashes for unknown reasons so here is a screen instead.

doom1711.jpg

Demo infos :

No Save , Pistol Start

Time : 2:34

UV-max

DEMO

Map

Brutal but short. As NH04M02 , you must survive to monsters waves : Revenants , Cybers , Arch-viles and Cybers + Cacodemons. ToD offered you more space to dodge projectiles. Killing the viles is the trickiest task in the map considering that you have mostly no wall to take cover. Contrary to M02 , BFG is your only weapon.

There is a little useful tip for killing the revenants : shoot a BFG ball before hitting the switch so that you can eliminate some rev and hopefully getting out of the bloodfall without waking them.

Looks like some very pretty maps, but I couldn't even beat level 1 (In the pit with the columns to be lowered and the cyberdemon/caco swarm). Not for me.

1 hour ago, Magicana said:

Looks like some very pretty maps, but I couldn't even beat level 1 (In the pit with the columns to be lowered and the cyberdemon/caco swarm). Not for me.

hide behind the cyberdemon and let the caco fight the cyberdemon then u kill cyberdemon do this again with the other cyberdemon .

how do u pass Map 04 : NH04 M01 too many revents and there fireball just kills u before u can get a second shot 

1 hour ago, Zaloo said:

how do u pass Map 04 : NH04 M01 too many revents and there fireball just kills u before u can get a second shot 

Try Shooting a BFG ball just before hitting the first switch so that you can kill some revenants without waking them.

Map 05 : NH666 Map 02

Roofi_05.png

DEMO

Pistol start , No save

UV

Time : 8:37

Map :

Difficulty : Very Hard

NH666 M02 is, in my opinion, the most difficult and frustrating NoHealth map in ESP2 and maybe the hardest map from this wad. I did not like this level to be honest but the cavernous appearance with the inlaid stone fort is really well done.

First, there is a reasonable number of monsters (a little more than a hundred) but we are confined in tight places throughout the level and so the fights become really dangerous. In the same way, ToD has given priority to small or medium-sized fights, which makes the map fairly long although linear. Unlike many NH levels or TOD in general, we obtain the BFG very late and you have to deal with the SSG and the RL. Usin the RL is generally extremely dangerous but necessary. Arch-viles are pretty numerous and really annoying considering that they can revive their friends very quickly. In addition, the rocky landscape creates unpleasant "bobbing".

However , the progression is ingenious and allows the player to revisit areas from another angle and with new fights. Aside from that, you have better know the level by heart to get there in one go. Also , it's a good level to learn using the RL in cramped areas.

MAP 04 – NH4 MAP01

Completed : 2019 / 05 / 03

Not much to say about that one, other than it was over very quickly. Once I learned to fire the BFG before pressing the switch, the level fell into place and it was all up to execution and surviving the initial revenant horde with enough ammo for the next parts. And even then it was simpler to ignore the last cyberdemon and caco wave, and just go for the exit. I’m not getting 100%, but I don’t really want to either.

Edited by dac

Map 06 : NH7v4 map 01

DEMO

Pistol Start , No save

UV-max

Time : 4:46

Map :

ESP2.wad_MAP06.png

Nothing really special to say on this level except that this section will be reused differently in the next NH7' maps. The chaingunners are the biggest threat in this level because of their hitscan attack. You have to react quickly in order to not lose too much health. The level is quite tough because it requires good usage of BFG ammunition. The arch-viles can become completely out of control if you are too slow to kill them and the pain elementals require precision to be killed with the rocket launcher.

However ,  I managed to finish this level in a few tries and it is also the first No Health map that I managed to finish in ESP2.

Edited by Roofi

I suppose I should mention that I'm playing on UV, playing in prboom+ for these earlier maps, etc.

NH4 MAP02 - Another interesting map here, kept me on my toes for most of my play time. I also mostly hid in the pedestal rooms, until the HK wave and then it was mostly just camping them as they came in. I actually found the end to be the most difficult part despite having the BFG since I was pretty terrible at telling when a vile had a sight on me or not. Not much else to say about it really, pretty short but tough map.

I've seen Dusted Pandemonic and Timothy Brown play this

That's cool, I ended up watching some of those videos and they were fun with the commentary.

Also love the music in this wad, TimeOfDeath does all of it himself.

I say this jokingly but it's also true, doomworld is like that episode of South Park where the kids are all impressed by each other playing Guitar Hero and then one of the dads comes in and plays the song on a real guitar and they couldn't care less :)

However , map 34 from ESP2 looks buggy. There is no ammo to kill monsters and some zdoom actions don't trigger. Are there special settings for that map?

I forgot to mention in the txt that map34 requires infinite ammo dmflag. And for the zdoom maps, they might not work properly in newer zdoom versions, like map28 "Dekutree". To ensure proper playback, you can play the map with the same version of zdoom that my demos were recorded with (ex: at the end of the demo filename, "zd220" means zdoom 2.2.0).

Anyone but the Bruins

You know it.

You know it.

I wonder if we might be treated to another TimeOfPlays video this month given the subject matter, they always make for fun viewing :)

Cool, I'll see what I can do :)

Map 07 : NH7v4 M02

ESP2.wad_MAP07.png

Demo

DEMO

No Save , Pistol start

Uv-max

Time : 4:25

Map

NH07 Map 02 is the more difficult continuation of NH07 map 01. We start exactly at the the same place except that the small arena on the left was not here in M01?

Nh7 M02 is more difficult at first because the SSG is absent, which forces you to play only with the RL until you obtain the BFG a bit later. You have to kill two cyberdemons instead of one. It is not much more complicated except that it is recommended to kill them with 2 BFG-shot if possible (Not surprising for a ToD map). Before fully unlocking the arena, you have to lower some walls that will reveal three waves of enemies: imps with revenants, chaingunners and eventually arch-viles. It is not extremely difficult, but each time you lower one of these walls, two revenants come to attack us in the back, which oblige you to kill them quickly.

Then , a "big" fight occurs in the arena with hell knights and cacodemons surrounding you from both sides. The strategy is often to kill enemies which have the fastest projectiles in those kind of fights, so the Hell Knight. The very last fight with the 2 viles reviving the dead monsters may be quite tricky but you hopefully have enough BFG ammo to get rid of them.

6 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

I say this jokingly but it's also true, doomworld is like that episode of South Park where the kids are all impressed by each other playing Guitar Hero and then one of the dads comes in and plays the song on a real guitar and they couldn't care less :)

The soundtrack sounds like it was written by Necrophagist. Really heavy tech-death influence.

Review/Ramble incoming for maps 36 and 37, because months ain't that long and almost nobody on DW plays RJ maps these days... Might as well...

RJsloth is a relatively old, but legendary map. When dew started bringing rocket jumping to my attention, I wasn't very interested at first, but it turns out it's one niche of gameplay that I really, really ended up enjoying, that said, I'm quite glad dew was as persistent as he was. But I digress. RJsloth, both iterations of it, belong in the category of things that are very hard to describe to anybody who's never tried anything like ZDaemon rocket jumping. But for the sake of providing a basic idea, think of a hard slaughter map that most people couldn't beat without hours upon hours of practice, and translate the difficulty that comes with the monsters and setpieces into a difficulty based on movement, timing, and precision, that's what RJsloth is.

Here's a view around the "original" map from a tower at the starting position, and that's only a small part of the map:

Spoiler

Coop-20190506-175232b.png.67ceaa4f9783b2a79df3822737fde257.png

Coop-20190506-175238.png.9da630ee72ef3c31d64b462149f209c0.png

Coop-20190506-175242.png.61520f8023652ef44133df48496488ac.pngCoop-20190506-175246.png.a4ef9c69ac25eb30955d80dbd933cdc2.png

It is a huge map, matched or surpassed in size only by its second iteration, some areas in "masterjumps" and "RJspace". But to be fair, "masterjumps" has a lot of stuff that is huge in scope, but when it comes to the sheer number of obstacles RJsloth has it beat, I'd argue. Back when it was made, RJsloth could comfortably claim to belong to the hardest shit in town, crafted to demand as much concentration and willpower as you could muster. If you ever get into rocket jumping and you can say that you've managed to beat the original RJsloth on UV difficulty settings, you've already come a long way.

Among the things this huge map will ask of you are a series of properly timed and precise straferun-rocket jumps, the ability to use walls to jump around corners by changing your trajectory in midair, as well as the ability and understanding required to elongate jumps by shooting rockets at a wall at the correct angle. Doesn't sound like much? Perhaps, but in practice it becomes a problem real fast.

Well, the original RJsloth is already a tough nut to crack, why a second iteration?
Frankly, I can only tell what little I can remember from dew's explanations, so not everything I state here might be 100% accurate, but perhaps tod himself can shed some light on this, or correct me in case I got something mixed up... Anyway, the basic gist is that at the time tod made RJsloth, rocket jumping had not fully developed, people eventually discovered one particular trick, called "superjump", that would change the way people could play and build these maps.

A superjump basically means doing a rocketjump from a "resting position", shooting a rocket at your feet so that you will jump backwards, doing a 180° in midair, shooting a rocket to where you will land as well as shooting a rocket upon landing, so that both rockets detonate at the same time. It was that trick that changed the rocket jumping meta, especially at higher levels of play, and it's the very trick that caused RJsloth's wicked "mutation":

Spoiler

Coop-20190506-180248.png.b7d49bae2def595ead017b5efd20ecc1.pngCoop-20190506-180237.png.0920578f80a6786d0e1e9c0a6f2e9533.pngCoop-20190506-180259.png.bfd6b49f720536fef56b29e89c8fce62.pngCoop-20190506-180226.png.ed3855810fb730d7ea89faa533356349.png

Coop-20190506-180524.png.83160f164916388047d7a233189aaa00.pngCoop-20190506-180616.png.7a93f134a703e4a27dded14dab597d91.png

RJsloth in its second iteration is simply insane in terms of verticality alone. Still to this very day it is one of the most demanding maps to play in my opinion. You want hard? Here it is! Harder than some maps made by the likes of ribbiks, even though this map doesn't even kill you... It'll beat you into submission by making you do the jumps properly, or denying you progress. It took tod himself around 30 minutes to beat this if memory serves, and I can guarantee you the demo on the DSDA will show quite clearly that tod isn't one to play particularly sloppy.

But enough of the difficulty talk for a while, the second version of RJsloth is an interesting case, and a memorable map for several reasons. Not only does it show how the discovery of a single trick can change to great extent how mappers construct their maps in perhaps the most visual way possible, it also is a finely crafted labour of love with attention to detail and gameplay diversity.

Sure, tod worked superjumps into the map to bring it up to "modern RJ-standards", quite a few in fact, but he didn't forget to also demand precision when it comes to smaller, supposedly simple jumps. It is a map that checks basically all rocket jumping skills, and didn't end up becoming a lame "do superjumps instead of normal ones" type of edit just for the sake of it. Simply put, it's a straight gameplay and difficulty upgrade, but it doesn't stop there.

RJsloth's second iteration features a new weapon to move around with. A plasma gun with projectiles that detonate just like rockets on impact, a "very rapid fire rocket launcher" if you will. Getting the plasma gun, and coming to terms with how it "operates", will allow you to reach heights and depths in such short amounts of time that it'll make your head spin, it's that crazy.

And there's even more that's been added to the map, for example a kind of waypoint system that allows you to get to new obstacles faster, which is a nice quality of life feature to have in a map as demanding as this one, and tod even added a few features to make coop play more convenient as well.

It's no secret I enjoy tod's maps a great deal, and I won't begrudge anybody who accuses me of fangirling, but if I had to pick 10 maps I'd play on a lonely island to keep me busy and entertained, this map would be one of them. It might not keep me sane, but who needs sanity anyways?

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

Map 08 : No Health 7 Map 03

ESP2.wad_MAP08.png

DEMO

Pistol start , No save

Uv-max

Time : 4:16

Map :

Nh07 Map 03 follows Map 02 (Thanks Captain obvious !). We explore the arena of the previous map again but this time,  you have to kill a horde of revenants with the BFG in the square sector at the middle. The new addition here is the little stone building located at the north with the red cross on a wall that will have to be explored.

doom1916.jpg

The interior consists of 64 pixels wide corridors with some traps involving revenants. Be careful and use your SSG. This map is as difficult as the previous map but the ammo tends to be quite rare, so use them effectively. Some isolated pain elemental as well as some groups of arch-viles make the challenge a lot spicier !

Edited by Roofi

Map 09 : No Health 7 Map 04

ESP2.wad_MAP09.png

DEMO

Pistol start , No Save

UV

Time : 6:22

Map

Difficulty : Very Hard

This is the last map of NH7 and probably the most difficult since it requires to explore almost all areas discovered before in the previous three maps. Obviously, all the fights have changed and some are quite difficult to handle , especially because of cramped layout. The level proves to be a bit longer too but is hopefully not as long as NH666 M02.

The difficulty is mostly explained by the fact that you have to kill some cybers in relatively narrow spaces. The cyber located in the east outdoor area is maybe the most annoying because he can easily  camp in front of the end of the small tunnel situated just above. Also you have to grab the two BFG without being killed by the Cyber guarding it .

This map has not many monsters but a lot of them and especially revenants teleport unpredictably and as the previous level , you usually have to navigate in 64 pixels wide corridors , so revenant's rockets may be very complicated to dodge. And of course , Pain elemental and Arch-viles don't help the player to survive.

The soundtrack sounds like it was written by Necrophagist. Really heavy tech-death influence.

That's cool, I like track 4 and 1 from their first album but didn't like the second album. Also don't like how the first album is so overproduced that the guitars sound like a computer's playing them.

Frankly, I can only tell what little I can remember from dew's explanations, so not everything I state here might be 100% accurate, but perhaps tod himself can shed some light on this, or correct me in case I got something mixed up... Anyway, the basic gist is that at the time tod made RJsloth, rocket jumping had not fully developed, people eventually discovered one particular trick, called "superjump", that would change the way people could play and build these maps.

Cool to read an rjsloth review, I assumed nobody would bother playing it this month :) I remember after I finished building the original rjsloth map and put it on a server before going to bed, when I woke up KandyKidSkill had been playing it for quite a while. You're right, the "standing superjump" hadn't been invented yet when I made that map, it was just based on the same sorts of jumps found in rjumpq (and I believe Nestea's rjump_n1 map was made before rjsloth too). I consider a "superjump" to be any method you use to jump with at least two rocket explosions at the same time, and that already existed in rjumpq at a spot where you run off a cliff and shoot a rocket at the ground below then rjump when you land. But the "standing superjump" I believe was invented while [TopHat]Gamma and I were screwing around in the original rjsloth on the grassy platform in your first screenshot straight ahead, and he was trying to do a superjump by running forward and doing an rjump then shoot at the ground while in the air then rjump when he lands, but it wasn't working out. And I believe it was my idea to try rjumping backwards from a standing position instead, and then the flood gates were open. Btw, just some trivia, none of the jumps in the updated rjsloth require plasma.

I wonder if we might be treated to another TimeOfPlays video this month given the subject matter, they always make for fun viewing :)  

As promised, here are some new TimeOfPlays videos! I played through the entire original ESP on zdoom with supergun2, double jumping, splashfactor 0.00001, and 70% air control. Here are the Session 1 videos from Monday:

Edited by TimeOfDeath666