Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

On 4/30/2019 at 10:46 AM, theleo_ua said:

I suggest to update Neural pack and check that it works in new GZDoom correctly

This is a deprecation so I think a version should be made available that supports the new format but there shouldn't be a shift to only the new format. That would mean that every user would have to use GZDoom 4.1. As long as the current version still supports the existing format, I think it should continue to use it for at least a few more versions.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:45 PM, NightFright said:

I don't think that the old syntax won't work any more. Too many mods would be affected. Also, updating to the new syntax would mean you MUST use GZDoom 4.1.0 or newer, which is probably not a wise course of action right now. Unless you want to force people to upgrade their GZDoom version.

If GZDoom keeps making changes like these, I do not think that there's anything wrong with just not supporting the latest version. There is no rule that every mod must work with latest GZDoom. If the mod stops working with GZDoom, creators of the source port should be to blame, not the mod creator. Modder should be free to target any source port and any version of that source port.

I think he was just saying that Gzdoom is actually not forcing everyone to change their syntax.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:56 AM, banjiepixel said:

keeps making changes like these

They haven't made these changes yet. That's why it's a deprecation alert. They're basically saying that, in some near-term future version of GZDoom, the existing format won't work anymore so this is everyone's opportunity to switch over. The other possibility is that they're simply saying that they'll continue to support the old format but no longer fix/update it and that the new format is preferred as it has many more benefits.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:30 PM, dpkonofa said:

They haven't made these changes yet. That's why it's a deprecation alert. They're basically saying that, in some near-term future version of GZDoom, the existing format won't work anymore so this is everyone's opportunity to switch over. The other possibility is that they're simply saying that they'll continue to support the old format but no longer fix/update it and that the new format is preferred as it has many more benefits.

But what was even actually changed? It seems to me that only thing that changed was that filter syntax has now the "id" part. Why was this change even made? Old format is better because it is more consistent between all the games. If you are going to make changes that make something deprecated, the change should atleast make some actual sense.

Syntax change was necessary because of this.

They basically needed to make a distinction between Freedoom and Doom regarding lump filtering, otherwise Doom filter would also work with Freedoom. There are cases where this is not desired.

14 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Syntax change was necessary because of this.

They basically needed to make a distinction between Freedoom and Doom regarding lump filtering, otherwise Doom filter would also work with Freedoom. There are cases where this is not desired.

I can see that there was a need for new filter that excludes Freedoom but why did they have to change the syntax of every official Doom IWAD? Also why the old and new syntax can't be used together? I feel that this syntax change is just bad design.

Amazing work, love the concept! Gave it a quick play earlier and I'm really impressed with how it's all looking. I may very well be retiring my hi res textures in favour of this for my "as close to modern vanilla as possible" experience. I was just wondering if there's a version available with everything minus sprites so I can run this with Smooth Doom? Or if it would be possible to edit the sprites out myself? (Zero experience with editing but happy to give it a go) I just realised I can't play Doom without those animations now.

I seem to be getting some clashes with the sprites when I run the two together (For example, Cacodemon seems to go between normal sprite and upscaled sprite mid animation?) Unless I'm doing something wrong? Loading my mods with ZDL.

Again thanks for the awesome work, keep it up! And sorry if this has already been covered, scanned the other pages but didn't seem to find what I was after.

6 hours ago, banjiepixel said:

I can see that there was a need for new filter that excludes Freedoom but why did they have to change the syntax of every official Doom IWAD? Also why the old and new syntax can't be used together? I feel that this syntax change is just bad design.

To be honest, no idea. You would have to ask Graf Zahl about that, I guess. Instead of changing existing syntax, maybe they should have added new lump filters for Freedoom instead.

Anyway, I doubt they will force everyone to switch to the new syntax any time soon, maybe never. Old mapinfo code that is already deprecated since many years also still works. Has to actually, since many old mods are using it and some people still use it even now. I wouldn't change anything with the filters, otherwise it will just stop working with older GZDoom versions.

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

maybe they should have added new lump filters for Freedoom instead.

They likely had to change the syntax because FreeDoom is meant to be a free replacement for the assets in DooM and so it needs to look like it's replacing the original DooM. Adding a filter for FreeDoom would require FreeDoom to run as its own game variant rather than as the original DooM. By changing the syntax to the new one, I think they've solved both issues in that FreeDoom, going forward, will run correctly, assets in WADs won't need to be doubled up for DooM and DooM II individually, and they can now specify resources for DooM, DooM II, and FreeDoom explicitly or across multiple variants.

14 hours ago, dpkonofa said:

By changing the syntax to the new one, I think they've solved both issues in that FreeDoom, going forward, will run correctly, assets in WADs won't need to be doubled up for DooM and DooM II individually, and they can now specify resources for DooM, DooM II, and FreeDoom explicitly or across multiple variants.

I wonder if new "doom.id" filters are just FreeDoom separated versions of the old filters. And if that is the case, it is great to give options like that. But why make old ones deprecated? Why add FreeDoom excluding filters and then say that people shouldn't use old filters anymore that work with FreeDoom too? Either this doesn't make any sense or they have failed communicating why this change was done.

I think this is little sideways from what this thread is about.

23 minutes ago, Gifty said:

I think this is little sideways from what this thread is about.

Not that much, there are many good reasons why this mod shouldn't start to use the new syntax. Many people prefer to use older versions of GZDoom because of the many recent changes to the source port. With most mods I wouldn't care but I feel that something like neural upscale should remain as universal as possible.

There is no need to use the new syntax just because GZDoom team decided to make old syntax deprecated for some arbitrary reason. I feel that they have too much control over the modding community, they could change almost anything at this point and modders would accept it, just because that is how the GZDoom does it now and how it should be done now.

Neural Upscale project doesn't do anything that needs the latest GZDoom so there is no need to limit it to working only with the latest GZDoom.

I've been messing with ESRGAN for the past week, thoughts about this result (slightly sharpened compared to my imgur version).

Basically a combination of various models combined into a median stack for the final result: https://imgur.com/a/F73n9ZJ

result.png

But they still just look like blurry upscales. The unbelievable aspect of hidfan's work is the new data in every sprite; they aren't just larger and smoother, the neural net process actually creates new data that is almost indistinguishable from the original sprites. This is what has separated this HD upgrade from every other attempt. 

I agree with you, doom neural upscale are better in most ways. I'm also using machine learning / generative adversarial network via ESRGAN with multiple models and then making a median combination of these models. Here is a direct comparison between hidfan's work upscaled via nn to the same size as my result. I think there is much improvement that needs to be made for my result, but there a couple of areas that look a little bit better, but the majority are better in hidfan's results.

Untitled-1.png

Hey everyone. New User.

hidfans texture pack is revolutionary to me, for a reason I suspect was unintended.

I like to get things to look how they authentically did, without the negatives.

Pallet Tone Mapping gives Doom the original 8-bit look, but it has HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE banding.

Using the HD texture pack with Pallet Tone Mapping allows me to have the awesome 8-bit tone mapping, without the banding problem.

I wish I knew why this HD pack works where others don't. It might be that the textures are only x2 resolution, as well as being higher color than 16-bit, but I don't know for sure.

Screenshot_Doom_20190517_162714.png.ba8ae8a4f53171ce3fe76abd3328da13.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190514_113447.png.bb8a96ae0ac37adb60421111a4b3b9cf.png

The HD pack has some minor issues like the burning barrel that I'm sure will get fixed. But if you would like to play the game in its original color pallet, this is really the only way you can do so without horrible banding effects that look like this.

Screenshot_Doom_20190517_151624.png.50b1cae94d9d0ca69c17533d92ba8cdd.png

Edited by 22_deathgrip

Thanks for all the work Hidfan, for me, this is the best texture pack we've ever gotten. 

I know you used x2 resolution, but what color output did you choose? I'm wondering because when combined with Pallet Tone Mapping it's literally magic.

Do you need help looking for bugs? I'd be glad to through the main WADs and route out anything I see, but you are probably aware of the issues that exist already. 

I have almost no technical skills but in terms of playtesting I'd like to help anyway I can.

Edited by 22_deathgrip

2 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

I'm noticing a few bugged out animated textures in plutonia. 

Yeah the Skull on the door being 4x larger hehe. I haven't tried TNT is it the same for that?

On 5/18/2019 at 3:47 AM, Beezle said:

Yeah the Skull on the door being 4x larger hehe. I haven't tried TNT is it the same for that?

TNT has a number of issues with broken animated textures. 

Also, I would be nice if the upscale pack included textures for plutonia and TNT

I'd like to learn how I can help with this. I've not modded since Doom 3 last came out, but what this pack does for 8-bit colour is so amazing I feel compelled.

Its a shame that the upscaling algorithims use in texture options don't add extra color depth so that it can be filtered by Pallet Tone Mapping for the same look. 

At some point to try to help Hidfan out I plan to go through TNT one more time, posting screenhots and locations of the bugged out textures.

Is there a way in GZDoom to tell which texture is named what by looking at it?

image.png.3cba438dff6e8b3ae13f66555124b9e7.png

image.png.d83fc97d43bbc7dd05a94573ab3a4585.png

image.png.7e058bd53b91219b943b5514f749a755.png

image.png.58474ff227054eeb9110a67528209232.png

Edited by 22_deathgrip

How hard is it to make new higher res Doom textures, is it only the sprites that need proper re-sizing information?

I'd like to try to do what hidfan did here, by using a simple rescaler like xBRZ to x6 and then downscale to x2, to get the added color information I guess that adds.

@Worst Thanks, unfortunately that's 64 bits only. Going to have to misappropriate my work laptop for that ;)

Main issue with normal resampling procedures is the fact that 'missing' detail isn't filled in. This is especially a problem with sprites. Eg. the DoomImp's thorns don't become proper spikes with a gradient colour fill, but remain "ladder"-like.  Unfortunately @hidfan didn't take the sprite fixing project as his base, leading to lots of misinterpretations due to stray pixels and of course missing rotations, forcing me to try and duplicate his efforts.

Currently cleaning / touching up the DoomImp, and those missing rotations are a thorn in my side :P

11 hours ago, Mordeth said:

@Worst Thanks, unfortunately that's 64 bits only. Going to have to misappropriate my work laptop for that ;)

Main issue with normal resampling procedures is the fact that 'missing' detail isn't filled in. This is especially a problem with sprites. Eg. the DoomImp's thorns don't become proper spikes with a gradient colour fill, but remain "ladder"-like.  Unfortunately @hidfan didn't take the sprite fixing project as his base, leading to lots of misinterpretations due to stray pixels and of course missing rotations, forcing me to try and duplicate his efforts.

Currently cleaning / touching up the DoomImp, and those missing rotations are a thorn in my side :P

Can you tell me how I can upscale world textures the same way hidfan did? Increase by 6 with an upscaler and then downgrade back to x2 to get additional color information to replicate the same effect that NU Doom has with Pallet Tone Mapping. 

On 5/19/2019 at 5:15 AM, Cherno said:

You should be able to get the texture name with a LineTrace:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=61411

I don't know how to do a line trace.

Anyway I'll just post screenshots of map with the XYZ coordinates along with screenshots on the next go around.

I don't know when the mod author plans on finishing the mod, or ironing out the stuff like the borked burning barrel. 

I actually don't myself understand the reason for any of the textures being messed up, if they weren't in the HD pack to begin with. 

Actually maybe I can get the HUD to display coordinates and the map name.

I'm wondering though if some of this has something to do with the lastest version of GZDoom that causes the barrel issue. 

Edited by 22_deathgrip

On 3/6/2019 at 4:15 AM, NightFright said:

In case it hasn't been suggested yet: To prevent a warning to appear regarding actor BurningBarrel being defined already, it's better to replace the code in decorate_burningbarrel.dec with this simpler solution:

ACTOR BurningBarrelNUS: BurningBarrel replaces BurningBarrel
{
    Scale .5
}

On top of that, consider using PNGOptimizer to reduce PNG filesize - the reduction is quite considerable (down to 42% of uncompressed total filesize). After optimization, the whole pack would be just about 78MB without any zip compression applied.

Thanks for adding this. Its not in hidfans pack yet, so i just did it myself and it got rid of a error i was getting. 

Could the other errors I posted in Plutonia also be from from animated texture files, that had the texture size edited without changing the .dec for the animated textures?

Could the errors with TNT I posted be fixed just by knowing what files need to have a .dec added to them?

On 5/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, tekni5 said:

Untitled-1.png

Man, I love your work. It seems to me that ESRGAN now handles transparency properly, or does it?