Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

38 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

new texture's can be added? OwO

Man I am sooo hyped for when the tools are properly ready so we can do mas-modding.

TMoD PSX edition will rise! (maybe... if I bother)

What does it stand for?

Whatever it was, but with auxiliary textures, for example bars, glass windows, fences, e.t.c. which will cost 16 units wide, it will be easier to decorate the map and save precious space.

Edited by riderr3

huh, new PSX Doom textures..

Gives me thoughts of a PSX Final Doom 2, with Lost Episodes, Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay all converted to PSX format (Notably these three megawads were worked on by two of the Master Levels designers amongst others, Klie and Mustaine to be specific)

12 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

huh, new PSX Doom textures..

Gives me thoughts of a PSX Final Doom 2, with Lost Episodes, Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay all converted to PSX format (Notably these three megawads were worked on by two of the Master Levels designers amongst others, Klie and Mustaine to be specific)

I'd actually been considering doing that myself, to the point I asked Erick awhile ago if he wanted me to throw those maps in, but he said he would release the toolkit afterwards for those who wanted to make PSX-ified versions of mapsets like that.

Just realized... @riderr3, did you pull some of these textures out of other PWADs?

I definitely don't remember those egyptian ones or the spider webs, for example.

3 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Those are from TNT

I don't recall seeing the spiderweb in TNT though.

Look in the waste tunnels of Mount Pain, a lot of the infamous bad textures from TNT are in Drake's maps

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Look in the waste tunnels of Mount Pain, a lot of the infamous bad textures from TNT are in Drake's maps

Those are definitely not the same webs, so the question still applies.

(They're in there as WEBL and WEBR.)

8 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Those are definitely not the same webs, so the question still applies.

(They're in there as WEBL and WEBR.)

It's the shorter static variant without spider.
Initially it was multipurpose SLADRIP1 texture from TNT
5rX2jKp.png

Also I updated the pack with more goodies. The link on previous page is updated.
v1.1
-added 16-wide derivatives for BRONZE01, BRONZE02, STEEL13 and WALL16
-added 16-wide banners (the ones from the wooden panels)
-changed 16-wide BRONZE12 name because it previously conflicts with original texture name
It seems that this is a complete set now.

Hi everyone, first I’d like to start out by saying how absolutely gob smacked I am at the dedication and passion that is going into this. Fantastic work!

My dad has been playing PlayStation Doom & Final Doom since it was released and it was a big part of my childhood growing up watching him play. He has played these games so much in those 20 odd years that he knows the levels so well so I wanted to find a way to get new levels for him to play. That’s what led me here.

It is very exciting the thought of bringing the PC levels into the same style as PS Doom and actually be able to play it through the console. My dad isn’t very tech savvy and doesn’t like using the PC so the PS Doom Total Conversion has never been a feasible option unfortunately.

Im a total newb at this sort of stuff too so my first question is how does it work? What is required to get this from my PC onto a disc and into my dad’s PS2 slim? Is there a way for it to work so that all my dad needs to do is pop the disc in like normal and boom it starts up?

Very excited to see this working and even to create levels of my own for my dad at one point but baby steps, one thing at a time haha

@handofthesly in my case I use fat PS2 with already installed modchip (hardware modification). I suppose here is no people who knows how to apply modchips, we are mostly mappers/hackers. As I know, modchip works exactly for "pop the disc in like normal and boom it starts up". So the two variants - being a tech savvy and install modchip or find another PS2 with modchip.

You'd definitely need either a chipped PS2, or a softmodded one via Free McBoot. That will work on any PS2 except the very last models.

Basically, once you got that taken care of, you burn the ISO to a CD, or otherwise get some kind of PS1 loader from the PS2, and have an image of the ISO (either on the hard drive, or if they have USB access now, those).

From there, you load it into that and play.

It's PS2, so unfortunately, if that is a bit too complex for you, you'd have to set up something like Retroarch on a PC and use that to emulate it, or you'd need to buy another system, like a jailbroken PS4, or an old-model PS3 that can have CFW installed to it. Probably the easiest way, though, would be to buy the latest, fanciest Raspberry Pi that you can (they're about $35), install Retroarch on that (via Retropie), and emulate a PS1 through that - just get a PSX style controller (or better yet, an original Dual Shock 4) and you're all set.

The benefit of using Retroarch is that you should be able to overclock the emulated CPU as well, which will eliminate the framerate problems, and 3D games will benefit from other stuff that renders the affine texture warping the PS1 is famous for almost a thing of the past. I'd definitely not recommend playing it with the original framerate problems unless to you that's inherent to the experience. :P

Edited by Dark Pulse

From what i can remember if you have softmodded PS2 (via FMCB) you need an HDD in order to play PS1 games as you need a PS1 loader such as Pops (i think it was called that; it's been a while). Maybe nowadays you can use something else via USB like Dark Pulse stated but it might be slow due to the slower USB ports in the PS2...and obviously only the "phat" PS2's have an actual HDD bay in the back.

I have a phat PS2 (SCPH 30001-R) and a Slim one (SCPH-70001 i believe) and a memory card with a version of FMCB on it (i rarely use it nowadays) and i also have a chipped PSOne (the mini one w/official Sony screen). Damn thing only works with the screen attached though as when i hook it up to a TV the picture is staticky and i've tried multiple cables and TV's. It must be something to do with how it was modded as i didn't solder the chip in myself. I'll tell you what though, that screen looks amazing, even though it is tiny.

Anyway's, I don't really condone burning games anymore but for this you'd obviously have too (or emulate it). So i'd just go with what Dark Pulse said tbh. A Pi with RetroArch (although i haven't ever used it myself).

Daft question but, what would happen if you attempted to load this onto a PS1? I've noticed people mentioning needing to chip a PS2 but what about simply running it on the original console? Would that need chipping or is the PS1 simply not strong enough/lacks the memory?

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Daft question but, what would happen if you attempted to load this onto a PS1? I've noticed people mentioning needing to chip a PS2 but what about simply running it on the original console? Would that need chipping or is the PS1 simply not strong enough/lacks the memory?

Chip or disc swap. The PSX has DRM that's built into the pressed discs, but a CD burner can't really replicate that, and so a burnt disc won't load without some tricks. I think Playstations that still got the parallel port in the back have something you can just plug in now, though, and slap ISOs onto a SD card.

(EDIT: Apparently even the parallel port thing needs a small board installed inside the PS1, so yes, only way to do this without modding would be a disc swap method.)

Great channel, by the way. I subscribe to it.

Edited by Dark Pulse

Thanks all for your answers, after a bit of research it certainly looks like I'll need to find a chipped PS2 as I don't think I'm capable of modding the PS2 myself. Not sure where to source one here in New Zealand though, hopefully I'll find one or someone who can do the mods. 

The idea of using FMCB with POPS and a USB isn't overly appealing due to needing to navigate different menus and files which my dad would probably get lost in. The disc swap method would be a pain in the ass for him too. FMCB would be great if it just booted the disc straight away, I can source a FMCB memory card for $15NZD here so it is a pretty cheap option.

I have been tempted to invest in a Raspberry Pi and install RetroPie on it for myself at some point so it may also be an option. That way we can create a digital backup of all of our old games because the discs are getting worn out.

1 hour ago, handofthesly said:

Thanks all for your answers, after a bit of research it certainly looks like I'll need to find a chipped PS2 as I don't think I'm capable of modding the PS2 myself. Not sure where to source one here in New Zealand though, hopefully I'll find one or someone who can do the mods. 

The idea of using FMCB with POPS and a USB isn't overly appealing due to needing to navigate different menus and files which my dad would probably get lost in. The disc swap method would be a pain in the ass for him too. FMCB would be great if it just booted the disc straight away, I can source a FMCB memory card for $15NZD here so it is a pretty cheap option.

I have been tempted to invest in a Raspberry Pi and install RetroPie on it for myself at some point so it may also be an option. That way we can create a digital backup of all of our old games because the discs are getting worn out.

If you've still got the memory cards, you can also buy a reader and dump the saves to a PC, and should be able to keep using those saves once dumped.

Memory cards for the PS1 are only 128KB or so, so on a modern PC that's negligible space even if you've got dozens.

In terms of a PS2, yeah, you're not playing burnt PS1 games without something like POPStarter, but you'd have to set all that up and it's not as simple as "put in disc and play." You could technically automate it down to just selecting the game in a menu, but you'd be dumping the game onto an HDD or USB device, or using a SMB media share.

There's also the possibility of playing on PSP. All of them support TV-out, and the PSP-Go supports the Dualshock 3.

18 minutes ago, Kroc said:

There's also the possibility of playing on PSP. All of them support TV-out, and the PSP-Go supports the Dualshock 3.

I didn't think the PSP-1000 had native TV-out, or if it did you needed a special cable for it (and i'm sure it's rare now). I have an old beat up 1000 that i bought off a friend years ago (it was already beat up when i got it unfortunately) but i never did have the cable or w/e you needed to get it to work for TV-out. I also haven't used it in probably 5yrs and i never did play PS1 games on it so i'll just take your word for it :)

@Dark PulseAlso i think PS1 memory cards are 1mb, not 128KB but still...1mb is nothing nowadays :) Oh yeah, POPStarter was what i was trying to think of in my earlier post as i couldn't think of the full word haha! Thanks for reminding me!

4 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I didn't think the PSP-1000 had native TV-out, or if it did you needed a special cable for it (and i'm sure it's rare now). I have an old beat up 1000 that i bought off a friend years ago (it was already beat up when i got it unfortunately) but i never did have the cable or w/e you needed to get it to work for TV-out. I also haven't used it in probably 5yrs and i never did play PS1 games on it so i'll just take your word for it :)

@Dark PulseAlso i think PS1 memory cards are 1mb, not 128KB but still...1mb is nothing nowadays :) Oh yeah, POPStarter was what i was trying to think of in my earlier post as i couldn't think of the full word haha! Thanks for reminding me!

1000s need hardware mods or some really hack workarounds, but 2000s and 3000s don't and have native TV out.

And you're right, memory cards are 1 MB (plus a little more, they do have reserved sectors for block remapping).

Been lurking this thread for a long time and decided I could contribute to the conversation from what I know with running PlayStation 1 backups.

If you can get your hands on a GameShark, one that plugs into the parallel port in the back, not a CD version although there are some CDs out there that allow for swapping afaik, and if you learn the swap trick, you can make a CD to flash the firmware in said GameShark or whatever cheat device you can get your hands on that connects to the parallel port.

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722

The firmware we would be flashing onto the cheat devices is Unirom, be sure to research some of this as unfortunately I can't remember everything off hand but I'm sure this should help. When Unirom is booted off of the cheat device you flashed it to, you can use it for a passthrough to bypass the DRM people were talking about in the thread.

In fact here's a video showing off what I'm talking about, as of recent I checked eBay for GameShark cartridges, and right now there's quite a few, all reasonably priced.

^That's pretty cool, since you don't have to swap discs constantly as everyone knows that is horrible for the laser/motor (personally i would never do it). But if you only have to do it a few times in order for this to work though, then that's okay i guess. I remember someone telling me that there was a time when you could literally get lucky and find PS1's already chipped in thrift stores for dirt cheap since so many of them had been modded over the years (i was never lucky enough to find one though), not to mention that PS1's were a dime a dozen. I mean, you'd have to buy one to be sure though. You could probably still get lucky nowadays i suppose, that is if you have any stores near you that sell stuff like this for a "reasonable" price.

I might look into refurbishing my PSP 1000 at some point as i can buy shells for cheap online but i'm not very handy with stuff like this. I'm also pretty sure it was hard-modded the old fashioned way, with a pandora battery years ago so i could risk bricking it if i ever wanted to "update" it. Right now i'm not in the right mindset to do anything such as this so this wouldn't be anytime soon anyways. I like the 2000/3000 models more anyways due to the higher amount of RAM and better screen but they do feel a little too light imo (cheap) compared to the 1000's.

Anyway's i should stop going off topic in this topic xD

6 hours ago, Lynnie said:

Been lurking this thread for a long time and decided I could contribute to the conversation from what I know with running PlayStation 1 backups.

If you can get your hands on a GameShark, one that plugs into the parallel port in the back, not a CD version although there are some CDs out there that allow for swapping afaik, and if you learn the swap trick, you can make a CD to flash the firmware in said GameShark or whatever cheat device you can get your hands on that connects to the parallel port.

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722

The firmware we would be flashing onto the cheat devices is Unirom, be sure to research some of this as unfortunately I can't remember everything off hand but I'm sure this should help. When Unirom is booted off of the cheat device you flashed it to, you can use it for a passthrough to bypass the DRM people were talking about in the thread.

In fact here's a video showing off what I'm talking about, as of recent I checked eBay for GameShark cartridges, and right now there's quite a few, all reasonably priced.

Pretty important to note it won't function like a GameShark after this unless you flash it back, though. But yeah, I'd forgotten about this little method. May well be the cheapest option, followed by getting a Pi.

I would genuinely recommend grabbing a PlayStation Classic (some stores have been selling them for cheap nowadays) and a regular ol' USB2 flash drive, and then load it up with BleemSync. It's very simple to set up, and BleemSync even has a browser interface to add games to it very easily.

Doom works remarkably well on the PS Classic, I just played through the first few levels of GEC Beta 2 without any issues.

Ah, forgot about those (and for good reason). Yeah, that's also a possibility.

Admittedly probably a bit more expensive than a GameShark or a Pi though.