Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

vanilla

how do i make the rocket exlposion in zdoom sound like vanilla?? make it short?? (the sound is longer)

and how do i change the death sound in ultimate doom to just 1 kind of sound?? i know ultimate doom had only 1 type of death sound and doom ii had 2?

is it possible to change these things??  I can't use dosbox or doom95 or chocolate doom or whatever because i get motion sickness.. Zdoom with capped fps on works for me :(

A lot to unpack here.

First of all, welcome to Doomworld. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Second of all, what version of ZDoom are you using? ZDoom itself is dead, with the main development going to GZDoom nowadays. That said, DrFrag has a few derivatives of ZDoom which are in active development if you really want it.

Third, (G)ZDoom has been heavily altered compared to the original Doom code. If you want to stick with it, then I recommend you look at the options from here to help you. It sounds like you want either "Sounds stop when actor vanishes" or "Cripple sound for silent BFG trick"

Fourth, you implied that 320x200/320x240 is unplayable for you. Since you mentioned Doom95 (which nobody really uses anymore) I'm assuming you can't play with 640x400/640x480 either (otherwise I would have recommended Crispy Doom or maybe Marine's Best Friend in dos/dosbox). If you'd prefer something more faithful than (G)ZDoom, then your best choice would be PrBoom-Plus. I'd upload my most recent compile of it, but it's very late at night. This is the latest official release for Windows (assuming that's the operating system you're using). I don't recall if the short rocket explosion thing is there though (then again I never really checked for it).

I use many source ports.... the one i liked was doom95, i can see more frames in the game.. & the chaingun is fatter (640x480 and fullscreen)

doom 95 had more colors for me too... but the sound was lower pitched, and i got the most motion sickness with this one :(((

Thanks.. doomworld is a cool site for doom.  I been lurking around and trying to get the best settings so I can play doom the best and most 90s way possible (minus the motion sickness)

I had doom for the N64 back then... then couple years later got the playstation one, I did not grow up with the PC one, I was kinda young and really scared of the game untill years later i got the console ones.

I use ZDOOM 2.8.1 with the OPL3 emulation on it because its louder... (java one) and I heard OPL3 is the best one for all things 90s

is the E2M2 suppose to sound that way on ZDOOM??  the beggining when it goes (popopop or whatever) is really silent compared to the general midi.

thats one of the best tracks too................

prboom almost was going to be my port of choice... the fluidsynth on it is something new to try. 

ultimate doom only used 1 death sound (ahhhhh) doom 2 used 2 (ahhhh & the owwww ahhhh if you got pwned)

right? 

doom is freaking awsome i memorized episode 1&2 on ultimate doom... now to 3&4 lol

Give Crispy Doom a go, it's based on Chocolate Doom but supports uncapped frame rates which should help with the motion sickness.

Go with PrBoom-plus. It has following features:

- Smooth uncapped frame rates (Thus no motion sickness)

- has resolution options from 320x200 to 1920x1080

- can run vanilla, Boom and MBF wads.

- Authentic vanilla physics and gameplay.

- Comes with both software and OpenGL renderer.

Get it from here: http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/prboom-plus-2.5.1.5.r4526-win32.zip

Thanks for the great suggestions all.. I hope this game becomes more & more reconized, I almost forgot about it

I kinda fixed my problem using this setting

Create shortcut of ZDOOM.exe/Right click it and put -cl_capfps True and run in 640x480 resolution (so my desktop goes lower then 800x600)

Window Mode & game resolution to 320x240 (blurry expanded window but it works with the sickness for me)

Render interpolation off, vsync off

Screen Melt: Melt

Lowered the mouse movement just a little

I can play a little longer now instead of 3 minutes

~Great Game~

Edited by vanilla_d00m

>Screen melt off

But why? That's what it was like originally.

Oops... I have it on melt, when you change levels it melts as I was finishing the last episode on ultimate doom today for the first time.

DOSBOX 0.70  was used so i saw the screen melt through each level like a true vanilla doom game.

Episode 4 wasn't as original to me like the first 3, gate to limbo is such a great and frustrating map.

I also liked how in the first 3 it shows the map when you enter the next level.

Finishing each level in episode 4 just shows the doom II finish screen in a different color.

Man... great game!  can't believe I finished it today, but I have a long way to go.

DOOM II, FINAL DOOM, MASTER LEVELS OF DOOM II 

IDKFA (id kicks f a) !

No, I didnt cheat!   I would not even bother trying to beat it if I cheated.. it gets so boring fast if you do (well to me) 

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Dosbox 0.70 ... WHAT?

First of all, the latest stable version is 0.74 . Second of all, 0.74 itself has been long obsoleted by SVN builds. I would first try the latest version of ECE, as found here.

0.70 has the sound blaster adlib music sounding different on the ultimate doom screen.

E1M1 sb adlib sounds better on 0.70 (to me it does)

Edited by vanilla_d00m

On 4/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, vanilla_d00m said:

most 90s way possible (minus the motion sickness) 

Why are you using Zdoom for this. Surely Crispy or Choco would be a much better port given that they are designed to emulate vanilla doom

zdoom with cl_Capfps true on works for me.

No more motion sickness.. I wan't to try DOOM RETRO someday though.

I finished all 1,2,3,4 episodes on ultimate doom with it this month, im almost a doom vet.  DOOM II/FINAL DOOM/MASTER LEVELS next.. though tbh i think ultimate doom is the best.

I've played doom before as a kid (8 years old i think) and i couldn't play it for 1 second... I would run outside in my backyard, game gave me the chills.

But now im brave...

Edited by vanilla_d00m