Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigBoy91

What's your playing style?

I played Doom as a kid, but was a little too young to care about getting any good at it. I'd just put on all the cheats and mess around. I started playing seriously in October because of Brutal Doom. I grew tired of Brutal Doom quickly because the combat feels a little monotonous with there being no hitscan and whatnot. Now I'm on a mission to git gud. I've been playing a lot of notable vanilla, limit-removing, and Boom-compatible WADs and trying to UV-max them while only saving in between levels. I feel like I'm going down the speed running rabbit hole more and more every day. How do you guys play? Lower difficulty settings? Do you care about killing every enemy? Are you a tactical player? Quick save every 30 seconds? Nightmare or nothing? What's up?

I prefer to play HMP as I feel like it is a perfect balance for me. I tend to kill as many demons as I can, but I will skip some if I don't feel like dealing with them.

Sometimes I have little free time for DooM, if I'm not playing Deatmatch, I really enjoy starting a session with Doomzone and any  mappack in UV until the first death. If  weapons are buffed I activate fast monsters

For the IWADS, plus NRFTL and TEETH.WAD: UV-Perfect continuous, one save per level, done at its start, rarely switching weapons, exiting each level with as much health, ammo and armor as possible.

For PWADS with more than one level: The above, except on HNTR rather than UV.

Master Levels except TEETH.WAD: IWAD formula, except obviously from a pistol-start.

For single-level PWADS: The above, except on HNTR rather than UV.

Nerdy but lazy.

Spoiler

UV and sometimes HMP or HNTR. 100% x 3. I try to avoid saving as much as I can.

4 minutes ago, FaronHonest said:

I usually play the wads that go good with beer...I use zdoom with old school settings and crumple those 5000 monster levels into the trash..they suck

What kind of beer do you like?

Just your average load and save game Joe.

HMP continuous with frequent quick saves and no music.  Finishing the map is my only goal - I don't give a hoot about 100%ing anything.

My main go-to Doom game is Doom 2 and I only play on UV difficulty.  I guess the only unique thing for me in that game is whenever I get to the end of the game and start Icon Of Sin, I always quit the game.  It's not that I can't beat it because I have many times, it's just I feel that The Living End is a more fitting final map.  Also, Icon Of Sin seems a little too luck based for my tastes.  If I do shitty on a map, I want it to be my fault and not just a case of bad luck.

HMP no saves if a single level, otherwise I save when playing continuous through a large level-set (more than 4 maps as there is no guarantee that I'll get back to the game the next day).   I try to get 100% in everything but if I think the map is done then I don't worry about it.  I will play through exceptional maps again to get 100% in everything; but this will happen at least a month or two later.

Usually try and play on UV, if I don't get 100% of the secrets then no big deal, it gives me a great excuse to play it again. Play WASD + Mouse, no free look, quick but also cautious. I too try to save only between levels but if I'm playing something like Sunlust then I save often lol. Loved playing Brutal Doom, still do, but find myself playing on source ports like PrBoom more and more, nothing beats Vanilla:)

5 minutes ago, Beezle said:

nothing beats Vanilla:)

Real talk. PrBoom+ runs too beautifully not to love and nothing beats that run and gun action. It's what makes Doom, well, Doom in my opinion. Brutal Doom is still an impressive mod in many ways.

- HMP no saves until I finish the level, or no saves at all (pistol start used as a death penalty). This rule can change if I'm playing maps that are too long or difficult. I may jump to UV if I'm too familiarized with the mapset.
- I try to kill all the monsters, but if I reach the exit without doing it I will probably not go back.
- I'm always shifting between "mouse\WASD" and "no mouse\arrow keys".

Mostly UV, kill everyone usually. Been experimenting with Nightmare. If the wad is too much slaughter territory, I start skipping enemies. Since I play on high difficulty, there's some tactics involved, usually targeting hitscanners first, dealing with the rest later. I try to cover bounce shotgun sergeant hordes to keep my health up when there's too many hitscanners or stunlock them with minigun to keep my health, dodge projectile enemies and using combination of minigun and shotgun to soften enemies first with minigun, then deal death blow with a shottie. I like one-shotting pinkies with a double-barrel shotgun so I use it a lot if it's Doom 2 wad.

UV unless the author suggests otherwise. No quick saving (besides level start autosave) unless its a really difficult section I need to practice and cannot be bothered to go through all the other shit to get there, especially if it requires some abstract puzzling.

I kill whats in my way and try to encourage infighting whenever possible. Don't care about 100%-ing that much as many levels have random variables like enemies that get stuck in a monster box.

Normally I try mix attacks (weapons) so I can decrease the chance of running outta any ammo types and use chainsaw/melee to save ammo as well, especially on those Pinkos.

What else? I smoke bowls, generally at a levels end & occasionally I still like to FPS with some LSD/shrooms/mescal. I use Slade to find anything I cannot figure out via ingame trial and error.

The main mod I use is Brutal Doom, I also play most maps vanilla and am always interested in the latest new mods & wads. I really enjoy playing ported content mods as GZDoom has so many options and the controls are perfect.

I don't go for maxes, regardless of what I'm playing, usually because I don't find every single item or secret, and I don't exactly have any interest to do that either.

I'm not playing modern wads on UV either, usually, but it very much depends on the wad. Most of the time continuous, but I do pistol start if things become way too easy, just so that I still face some opposition. Always with saves, I have neither the patience nor skill to do maps saveless, most of the time, and I basically never revisit a wad I finish anyway, so there would be no point. Not the best, not the worst, but as long as I can get the job done I'm fine. After finishing the wad I write the review/give some feedback, and move on to the next thing.

UV, pistol start, saveless, all the time. It's the only way I can feel alive.

Saving can happen if the map is long though (I don't have infinite time), but more like "let's resume from there tomorrow" than as a contingency. If I die the next day I'd start again from the beginning. That is, if the map isn't balls hard. In this case having a few saves to try things before doing the "real run" can happen.

I don't always aim for 100% secrets because I do not have infinite patience, or I just don't like the map, but I try for a bit anyway.

I usually play a map a day or try to complete one over multiple sessions if it takes me many attempts. For easier wads it happens that I complete a whole episode at once.

When I'll feel happy with my UV "maxing" skillz I might move on to -fast because it's always been fun on the IWADs.

2 hours ago, Kills Alone said:

What else? I smoke bowls, generally at a levels end & occasionally I still like to FPS with some LSD/shrooms/mescal.

LUL! I laughed when i read that. You do you :) I used to drink quite a bit but i basically stopped (i take too much damn medication). Never really got into smoking though, besides being a social smoker and smoking cigs when i went to the bar with my buds.

Anyway's, i don't do pistol starts unless the mapset specifically calls for it. I do try to max a level if i can but if i don't find/kill everything then it's not a big deal to me. I save when i feel it's necessary.

For the really early PWADs and The Ultimate Doom, i can play on UV (not EP 4 though) but i tend to still have trouble with Doom 2's later levels on UV as well as some mid to late 90's PWADs so i lower the difficulty accordingly. I won't struggle through a play-through is what i'm saying.

Definitely anything newer is usually played on HMP or even HNTR (or ITYTD) if it is a slaughter style mapset as i am not good at that style of play, yet the maps usually look amazing so i give 'em a shot anyways :) 

Edited by CyberDreams

I'll go for UV and secret max and find all the big items, not necessarily picking them up if I didn't need them when I found them. Sometimes use more saves, sometimes only save at level starts. Carefully plan my approach, then forget all about it. Try to cause infighting, but not going to wait around for the enemies the finish each other, unless low on ammo. In some more open areas I'll try how many enemies I can snipe without moving much.

I just go to the exit.. but if I can avoid and leave some demons behind to save some ammunition, I will then.

Secrets are fine, but I don't go looking for them... again the exit is what im going after most of the time.

Sometimes I stay in the level and relax with the music on and lay down... the music is freaking awsome once you turn on OPL emulation.

HMP is the best IMHO... best balance between many monsters/few monsters/less monsters.  When I was completing episode 4 on ultimate doom for the first time on the easiest setting, each level felt empty.

Started EP4 again and finished it on HMP (felt much better and it just felt more balanced/more fun)

Saves.... I save EVERY second if im playing a map im not familiar with.

Missing a monster with a bullet can cause all sorts of LOADS/SAVES but I try my best...

"It's not whether you win or lose... its how you play the game"

So I played the game without cheats :)

Edited by vanilla_d00m

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

UV 100% x 3 or GTFO.  Keyboard only.  Save-spamming.

bind w "+forward; quicksave"
bind s "+back; quickload"

No Save , UV-max or UV if the map is really hard , Pistol Start. I usually like to record of demo.

I didn't know there's no hitscan in Brutal, quite an interesting descision. I myself think that hitscan should be used very sparringly, it requires an intelegent placement from the designer. And there should be no chaingunners. So I hate most of DooM II wads. So it's Doom 1 all the way, but with jumping and mouselook. Seriously, you should be able to jump in any action game. It doesn't need to be functional, it's just a very fun thing to do.

10 minutes ago, Roofi said:

No Save , UV-max or UV if the map is really hard , Pistol Start. I usually like to record of demo.

+1

5 minutes ago, incel said:

And there should be no chaingunners.

Merry Xmas

I mostly play on HMP + saves before hardest areas. Sometimes, I lower difficulty if I see that map is way too hard for me. I play Doom stuff for fun, not to prove something that I can't :""""")

UV without giving a damn about %s. I save whenever I want, there was no dumb rule against saving when I started out (unless recording a demo, naturally). I’m a traditional, casual UVer. If a mapset is hard, I’ll pick an easier setting.

In deathmatch, I’m a total glass cannon. Even when I’m winning pretty easily it’s not uncommon for me to have the highest number of deaths.