Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

any movement tips for quake champions?

so, i'm decent at landing hits, but I still die within seconds. yes I did watch videos on youtube, and yes I did ask on discord. none of their advice helped either because they were too vague, or because they were just stating concepts instead of explaining them in detail. are there any tips I should know for movement? simple sentences will be fine, because i'm dumb.

Do you specifically mean movement, or just generally how to stay alive?

For movement, very basically the aim is to keep moving in as fast and unpredictable manner as possible to make you harder to hit.  Zig-zagging, bunny hopping (pressing jump repeatedly) and strafe running will all help.  Don't ever stop moving, and learn to track a moving target while running in any direction.

For general survaviability, remember that when you spawn you're not very dangerous.  You lack weapons and armor.  So immediately trying to find an opponent probably isn't a good idea.  It's better to hunt out weapons, ammo and armor first.  Get yourself stocked up, and only then engage.  And if a fight isn't going your way, then run away.  There's no shame in not dying.  Retreat, find health, recover, and try again.  Denying your opponent a kill is as important as getting a kill yourself.

46 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

what if I get stun locked by an LG? how do I prevent that?

Get precise with rockets or try your best to bounce them upward for a couple of free seconds to flee.  Or rocket jump the fuck out of there.

Don't go into fights unequipped or ones you can't win.  It's harder than it sounds, I know, but I had a hard time slowing my mental game enough to think about the situation at hand and possible advantages in any given scenario.   

1 hour ago, memes4lyfe said:

so, i'm decent at landing hits, but I still die within seconds. yes I did watch videos on youtube, and yes I did ask on discord. none of their advice helped either because they were too vague, or because they were just stating concepts instead of explaining them in detail. are there any tips I should know for movement? simple sentences will be fine, because i'm dumb.

There's like a billion of things you'll need to learn. Sorry, it is Quake. I know you hate advices but you'll need to listen to experienced players, however "vague" it seems. It's a game with a high skill ceiling and there's no shortcut.

For dodging: learn to do an 8 shaped movement and introduce random moves as you get more comfortable doing it. Jump less when dodging, it's a mistake. Doing this might spare you a few LG stunlocks.

For surviving encounters: equip yourself before a fight. Learn where the important items spawn and how long they take before appearing. You don't need an accurate count. The important stuff takes 30 secs so you just add that to the game's counter. Do this for one item at the beginning (say, the Red Armor) and work your way up to more items to keep in mind at once. They will be highly contested by other good players. They are that important to winning.

For moving... Watch this and practice. It might take... hours. 

2 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

Get precise with rockets or try your best to bounce them upward for a couple of free seconds to flee.  Or rocket jump the fuck out of there.

You do NOT want to rocket jump out of a battle against an opposing player using LG, hell you do not want to jump at all against LG. A competent player will trail you with LG as you ascend and then switch to RG (or RL if they're REALLY good with their aim) and shoot you out of the sky for free damage.

i found a person online that said he covered his screen with something leaving a hole a few inches around the crosshair to help him aim. but instead of doing that, i just put my face closer to my screen, and i find that helps a little bit with my accuracy. should i also lower my FOV? and does looking at my crosshair constantly really help with lining up shots?

Mouse sensitivity + FOV are what will impact your aim the most.  Calculate in inch/centimeter per 360°, because settings are different for everyone. My personal cozy place is around 15cm/360° (would do more with a larger mousepad), with a FOV of 105.

7 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

so take the stun lock like a man? ok.

Way to not read the other posts seriously. I did state you must learn your footwork if you want to stand a chance against LG. This is what will make the opponent having problems to track you. Also read the bits about resources again. They make you less likely to die when it turns out the dude has godly tracking abilities.

@Khaoscythe is right: jumping when you are micro-dodging is a fatal mistake, because your opponent knows where you will land. It makes tracking much easier. Staying on the ground makes you less predictable. My survival skyrocketed when I understood this.

19 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

because i'm dumb

Well, then we can't help you very much. You could learn naturally by playing the game. Think, try and notice what is working and what is not.

I used to play Quake III Arena everyday against nightmare bots and other players (if i was lucky enough to find a server without lag or godlike players). I have reached incredible results just by playing and learning from the game.

yeah, by using movement tricks and shoving my head closer to the monitor as well as changing the crosshair, i got 5th place in deathmatch with the help of not moving my mouse with the LG. or maybe it was instagib. reguardless, with the help of a speed display and movement markers, i noticibly improved my game. but then the next round i got 8th. maybe i forgot my tactics.

18 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

so take the stun lock like a man? ok.

Does being hit by the LG actually stun-lock a player, in the proper sense of the word (i.e. meaning the player is unable to move or shoot)?  I never noticed anything like that happening.

21 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Does being hit by the LG actually stun-lock a player, in the proper sense of the word (i.e. meaning the player is unable to move or shoot)?  I never noticed anything like that happening.

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. It seems to be more like you are pushed so it can impede your movement. I've been mostly playing Quake Live lately and the LG is apparently buffed on this, so take this with a grain of salt.

LG doesn't stun lock. He probably meant when you're being pressured against a surface by an LG user (i.e. a wall or corner section). In those instances it'll feel as if you're being locked down since you can't +back to escape and approaching said LG user would be suicide without the proper weapon selection.