Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

The voice actor of "Claptrap" from "Borderlands" says that Randy Pitchford assaulted him

Who was reading the news today and saw something about a voice actor saying that Randy Pitchford assaulted him, and then said to themself: "Dear God, how long will it be before crazyflyingdonut decides to make a Doomworld post about it?"

TIME'S UP, BITCH!!! *cue this music that I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzHe0EOKZ4U*

So apparently, the guy who plays a character called "Claptrap" in the "Borderlands" franchise (which is a franchise that I don't know much about), says that Randy Pitchford assaulted him. It was during the GDC of 2017, in the lobby for "Marriott Marquis", and when he left Gearbox, his former boss harassed him both in real life and on social media.

Eddings said that "fans shouldn't blame the team at Gearbox for their CEO's antics.", in response to Randy Pitchford's tweet calling him "bitter and disgruntled".

Yeah I'm sorry, I don't have much more to write.

For all Borderlands fans out there. Is it me or does the voice actor for Claptrap sound different in BL3? This might be because of the previous actor being assaulted. I dont know, he just sounds different.

I can't really be affected by this, as i play always Bordelands in the Spanish voices, but it's Sucks to be Claptraped by Randy, but nobody like claptrap anyways/s

On topic here, i hope this put more trouble in Randy long list of problems

7 hours ago, Ajora said:

Another day, another Randy Pitchford thread. 

Ya basically.

Just another entry on Randy's ever-growing list of mistakes.

Randy is a symptom of a much larger problem. What we need right now is a massive video game crash that will dismantle these companies so that the talented people that work there can form new, smaller companies that promote sane working conditions and originality. Hopefully, this overgrown monster will be crushed by its own weight at one point.

Edited by DooM_RO

A crash won't solve what is encompassing all of society, not just video games. It would change leading video game actors for some part sure, but it won't change behaviors stemming from the way our societies and cultures work. Basically you are just swapping a sexual harasser with a potential other one, because these stories tend to spring up way after the time it could have killed one's prospect at business success.

Of course that last point is bound to change as society deals with this differently.

I love the insanity of Randy Pitchford and accusations:

- Personal assistant embezzles $3 million dollars from his wife's restaurant.

- Mysterious USB drive with a minor doing adult things on it that Randy admits to claiming it was magic!

- $12 million dollar bonus into his own account instead of Gearbox's bank account, preventing that from being considered part of a royalty.

- Randy physically assaulting an ex employee, which may have been a harsh finger poking.

- Some other side deal with someone else that went bad enough to have a lawsuit.

- Using Sega's money to make Borderlands 1 instead of Aliens: Colonial Marines. Plus, the false advertising court case that was lost.

It's all weird stuff and makes Randy sound sketchy, even if he was the victim in some of it. Some of the accusations are big enough that I'm amazed there's no pressure from publishers or retailers to have this clown step go on vacation and put someone else in charge. Our lord and savior JoMero and J.Mack never had these sort of wild accusations and it's been 25+ years.

Claptrap's voice used to work at Gearbox, but now he's the head of Rooster Teeth games publishing?

Another enjoyable part of this drama is the voice actor says he was never paid for doing the voice and when he asked to be paid the royalties he was owed to do Borderlands 3, that was too much.

Gearbox's official stance on the money issue is that the voice was "paid the industry standard of a staff on a salary." Seems to be company speak of he was already paid salary, so we didn't pay him for his Claptrap performance. Then the voice actor wants royalties that I assume were tied to the $12 million that was put into Randy's own account instead of Gearbox's? Randy says that the voice was offered 2x industry standard. He also says that they let any of their employees voice act (or one employee's sister) and it's not required, they do it because they want to. Seems like a great way for saying none of our voice actors are paid, because they're all employees. Like the old "exposure points."

"Gearbox offers the opportunity for salaries employees to voice characters in the game, but is not a mandatory responsibility to their job requirements."

I've followed this for a while now and it feels like a parody between two old friends trying to drum up business.

Edited by geo

sometimes I really question why randy feels he always needs to defend himself at every opportunity, since in practice it seems to just always make the problem worse. heh.