Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnie245

Nightdive Teasing Blood

3 minutes ago, Ajora said:

It's okay, but the mouse movement is a bit clunky. I still had a lot of fun playing through the game. 

I'm only now realizing I literally said "doesn't its job", lol. It shows I'm tired...

The mouse in Redux is fine to me, sure, maybe not as good as it is in eduke32 nowadays, but it's alright. Megaton suffered from the same problem, it wasn't very precise there either, I remember how frustrating it could sometimes be when I was shooting switches from a distance, luckily increasing the sensivity helped.

Well that was sudden. I got an email from Gog about it and I was like "what, now?" and it turns out yes, now.

So, Kaiser tweeting that the game was going to release this April (deleted since) was not fake.

Sure, it's no longer April, but early May, and here it is. Oddly, the Steam page doesn't work, it just redirects me to the main store page.

I guess its safe to say that Blood lives... AGAIN!

I'll see myself out.

Updated using Nightdive Studio’s KEX Engine

• Vulkan, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3.2 support, play with unlocked framerates!
  • Antialiasing, Ambient Occlusion, V-sync and Interpolation support
  • Support for high resolutions including 4K monitors
  • Fully customizable keyboard and controller pad support
  • Extended modding support, including support for already existing mods
  • Completely rewritten netcode supports up to 8 players:
  • Play online in co-operative mode, kill each other in “Bloodbath” or split the difference in classic 4v4 team-based “Capture The Flag” mayhem
  • Battle it out in local split-screen action
  • Roll your own soundtrack with full CD and MIDI music support
  • Look fully up and down with a new 3D view, or stick with the classic BUILD-engine style!

Noice.

Sick, I've been looking forward to this for ages. It's 50% off on GOG too.

Edit: 50% coupon appears in inventory on Steam if you have One Whole Unit. GOG store has 50% discount if you have One Whole Unit in your GOG library.

Edited by xvertigox

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Sick, I've been looking forward to this for ages. It's 50% off on GOG too.

Seems to be the case on Steam as well, in a way.

Apparently people who already bought One Unit Whole Blood benefit from a 50% discount.

Yep, just bought it with said discount voucher. It's so smooth and beautiful, hope this remaster will attract some more new players to experience the classic :)

I am also morbidly curious what will happen if Blood's successful.

Read: Release the damn source code.

I wonder if Nightdive even has it, since Fresh is using KEX.

36 minutes ago, seed said:

I am also morbidly curious what will happen if Blood's successful.

Read: Release the damn source code.

I wonder if Nightdive even has it, since Fresh is using KEX.

All IP decisions unfortunately go through Warner Brothers, who are the actual owners of the Blood IP.  Multiple companies have tried to buy the IP from Warner Brothers outright, but WB keeps charging some absurd price for it.  This has been 99% of the problem with the source code.  It can't be released without WB's permission, which is about as close to being obtained as Hell freezing over.  

3 minutes ago, Master O said:

All IP decisions unfortunately go through Warner Brothers, who are the actual owners of the Blood IP.  Multiple companies have tried to buy the IP from Warner Brothers outright, but WB keeps charging some absurd price for it.  This has been 99% of the problem with the source code.  It can't be released without WB's permission, which is about as close to being obtained as Hell freezing over.  

Yeah I know that, even Nightdive attempted to buy it but they asked for too much, the farthest they got was getting permission to do a remaster, which is a whole lot better than nothing.

But who knows what the future holds, never say never, as the saying goes.

Does the movement not feel quite as good as the original (or BloodGDX for that matter) to any else?  Either way, very cool to see this released.  The new options on difficulty give me another reason to replay the game yet again! Curious to know how well multiplayer works.

Do you need to copy any files from other Blood installs or does it actually have the data?

54 minutes ago, seed said:

Yeah I know that, even Nightdive attempted to buy it but they asked for too much, the farthest they got was getting permission to do a remaster, which is a whole lot better than nothing.

But who knows what the future holds, never say never, as the saying goes.

You're dealing with a mega corporation like Warner Brothers.  "Never" is basically the Blood IP's middle name at this point.

35 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Do you need to copy any files from other Blood installs or does it actually have the data?

You don't need anything, it comes with all the data.

1 hour ago, holaareola said:

Does the movement not feel quite as good as the original (or BloodGDX for that matter) to any else?  Either way, very cool to see this released.  The new options on difficulty give me another reason to replay the game yet again! Curious to know how well multiplayer works.

The movement does feel different. I mean, I had to buy this. I didn't even know it was coming out, and I got a 50% discount since I already had OUWB. It's a great port so far, but the movement does feel smoother, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet, I just dicked around in the first level so far. But it's possible that I just got used to clunky movement because I haven't had an OS that it actually ran Blood out of the box since 2002. Since then it's been workarounds for getting it to run on XP, or using DOSBOX, or ports made from the ground up. So honestly, at this point, I can't even recall how it's supposed to run.

But I'm not getting the screams and moans on the main menu. This DOES concern me. 

Split screen? New netcode? Includes the expansions unlike some other rereleases of retro FPS games?

...bought this before I even knew about any of this, too. Bring it on

I'm already able to play Blood via BloodGDX or NBlood, and I'm more of a purist so I am not sure if I will be touching this version.

Oh. I guess I'm buying this then :P

1 hour ago, SteelPH said:

Blood 2 remaster when?

What that game needs is a whole damn remake from the ground up.

Im just suprised at how cheap it was in the end, thought it would be at least £15 but its only half that at full price plus i got the 50% discount so that made it even more of an easy buy for me.

Cant wait to give the co-op a good go around plus achievements are always enjoyable to get.

I just realized, and tested, that with the amount of customization options they made available, this can feel pretty close to the original. Limit the FPS to 30, change the resolution to 640x480, disable any anti-aliasing. The defaults are to make it look and play a bit more modern, but you can tweak it to feel like the original. Hell, disable mouselook if you want.

1 hour ago, vinnie245 said:

Im just suprised at how cheap it was in the end, thought it would be at least £15 but its only half that at full price plus i got the 50% discount so that made it even more of an easy buy for me.

Apparently it seems Blood, Descent, Turok 1/2 are all running within the Kex engine. Seems a pretty versatile thing they have going. Still must be a lot of work to port the assets, mechanics, and maps over. So it's a great price.

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

Still must be a lot of work to port the assets, mechanics, and maps over.

It's actually more the other way around. We keep the maps and assets intact, and write a game module for the engine to load them and run the mechanics (so we can keep the original physics, animation subsystems and such intact without having to lossy conversions). If you check out the install folder, aside from the file dates (those get lost in depot construction), they are in fact all the original files straight from a DOS B:OUW install.

I'm not going to immediately be playing through Blood (never have), but I've owned the original on GOG for a while, and I was very curious to see how well my toaster could run this remaster, so I decided to purchase it now just to have a quick peek. 

Colour me pleasantly surprised, because even though my potato is only a little above the minimum requirements and well below the recommended requirements listed on Steam (I'm getting by on a 2.6 GHz dual-core), I've had 0 issues with getting this to run on max settings. Not once has my FPS dropped below sixty. Looks great, sounds great, plays great. I haven't found a single technical issue, though I haven't played much beyond the first level. This is the real deal, it would appear. I recommend turning on 3D aiming (can't remember if it's set on or off by default), as it makes aiming feel a bit better. At least for me.

Excellent work, Nightdive. This looks like it has the potential to become one of my all-time favourite first-person shooters.

Edited by Ajora

Can't wait to play this. It's been FAAAR too long since I did a proper replay of Blood. Nice job to all the dudes at Nightdive.